Halo DRL

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 door
Very nice, do you have some install pics, guide etc? Also link to the rings?
Hello Howi, I did not take a lot pictures as I was under stress ;o) but here are my observations ;)

1.) I have bought following parts from DiodeDynamics USA (as recommended in tutorial video)
https://www.diodedynamics.com/rgbw-hd-led-halos-for-2018-2021-jeep-jl-wrangler-pair.html
https://www.diodedynamics.com/bluetooth-rgbw-m8-controller-1ch.html

2.) I have followed this tutorial video

In order to support prying the lens I have built jig to hold hot headlight in fixed position (see picture) - pillars are made to match headlight holes (used to mount to Jeep).
Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1617704222553

Notes: Start with separating plastic black rim from lens. Plastic will be hot and soft so no need for extra power. I recommend to repeat heating process (5 minutes at 105C) often (I did in maybe 7 times) so plastic rim would be soft. Your target is to separate silicone from lens. Once rim is separated and silicone is not holding lens then start to pry lens. DO NOT SPEED UP PROCESS OF PRYING. Because lens plastic will break!!! Be patient. You can use any wooden stick to support your screw driver during prying.
During prying insert your flat screwdriver under lens bottom part (not under the lens edge). This way the risk of lens plastic crack will be minimized.
Once lens is removed then clean all remaining silicone at headlight and lens.
Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1617704863159

After that put your headlight again inside oven (with lens) for 10 minutes and put bended rim at headlight back to original position (use heat gun to soften it).

Rest of the process is clear from JeepJournal guy tutorial.

Wish you luck ;)

Oto
Sponsored

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Hello Howi, I did not take a lot pictures as I was under stress ;o) but here are my observations ;)

1.) I have bought following parts from DiodeDynamics USA (as recommended in tutorial video)
https://www.diodedynamics.com/rgbw-hd-led-halos-for-2018-2021-jeep-jl-wrangler-pair.html

In order to support prying the lens I have built jig to hold hot headlight in fixed position (see picture) - pillars are made to match headlight holes (used to mount to Jeep).

Notes: Start with separating plastic black rim from lens. Plastic will be hot and soft so no need for extra power. I recommend to repeat heating process (5 minutes at 105C) often (I did in maybe 7 times) so plastic rim would be soft. Your target is to separate silicone from lens. Once rim is separated and silicone is not holding lens then start to pry lens. DO NOT SPEED UP PROCESS OF PRYING. Because lens plastic will break!!! Be patient. You can use any wooden stick to support your screw driver during prying.
During prying insert your flat screwdriver under lens bottom part (not under the lens edge). This way the risk of lens plastic crack will be minimized.

After that put your headlight again inside oven (with lens) for 10 minutes and put bended rim at headlight back to original position (use heat gun to soften it).

Wish you luck ;)

Oto
Brilliant thanks! , I wonder if the other one would fit our units, it for Halogen but gives LED white only halo with amber turn Halo (don't need/want RGB)

Switchback HD LED Halos for 2018-2021 Jeep JL Wrangler (pair) (diodedynamics.com)

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Asero

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler

Wish you luck ;)

Oto
This is amazing and what I have been looking for!!! 😍😍 thank you so much for sharing.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Hello Casa, I saw that already. I am thinking to use oven and then pull glass using some made tool to use equal force all around the glass. I will try to fix the light body on the desk... Pry the light glass against hot (soft) black light body plastic is not going to work....
Hello Oto, Just for our culture ... We can see on this video that the first models of LED headlights were different and very easy to open (like Oracle ...) we can see the black circle in front (like Oracle), but not the following years of production

Sponsored

BryonL

First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Hello there, can anyone with EU export headlamps confirm that your headlamp lenses are glass or plastic? I found set on eBay UK and the seller says Glass, but based on this thread I’m seeing plastic.
I know my ‘96 impala Export headlamps are glass as well as my Supra such that the light cutoff pattern is molded into the glass to satisfy the Laws there. I want to convert to glass on my Jeep if this is the case, just as I have done on my other cars.

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello there, can anyone with EU export headlamps confirm that your headlamp lenses are glass or plastic? I found set on eBay UK and the seller says Glass, but based on this thread I’m seeing plastic.
I know my ‘96 impala Export headlamps are glass as well as my Supra such that the light cutoff pattern is molded into the glass to satisfy the Laws there. I want to convert to glass on my Jeep if this is the case, just as I have done on my other cars.
I have Jeep Wrangler JLR (2020) with LED headlights and I can assure you that lenses are plastic ;o)

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Oracle headlights have a polycarbonate lens.

-Missy

BryonL

First Name
Bryon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Ok folks thank y’all for the clarification, I won’t be buying the EU version, especially without the halo rings.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
So , few different methods here to open the units.

Below is one of mine , its EU LED.

Oven or cutting? , or both?

Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL IMG_2352.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL IMG_2353.JPG

Sponsored

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Howi,

I have followed instructions from Jeep Journal Singapore guy. Just to advice you please be patient and do not hurry. Repeat oven heating many times when you see it goes tough. I was not so patient and broke some glass... Good luck...

BTW... Are you sure your LED ring is designed for this JL LED headlights? If you are 100% sure then go ahead ;o)

Oto

Oto JLR

First Name
Oto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
just a note... please consider to build a jig I did... It is helpful to keep headlight fixed in position and you have two free hands to pry the glass from main assembly...

Jeep Wrangler JL Halo DRL 1632294420048

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Ok thanks , so no cutting required then.

those surface mounts are going in the bin, have internal diode Dynamics , will post up when complete ! , hopefully

edit

just noticed my outer ring is silver and his is black, wonder what that difference means?

Last edited: