Sponsored

Halo DRL On 2018 JL Sahara

License2Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I see a few posts on wiring Halos as DRL's, but didn't see any for the JL anywhere.
So my here's situation... I wanted to avoid wiring the Halos as a DRL to the fusebox (just personal preference) and instead splice into the DRL side marker as I've seen many people do. So that's what I did, and the Halos do not go on with the DRL's. (They go on with the headlamp though, so I know they work). So I have two guesses of what's wrong...

1. I spliced into the wrong wire. There are three wires going to the factory DRL harness. White with a Red Stripe, White with a Yellowi-ish Stripe, and Black. My research told me to splice into the White with Red Stripe. But again, was hard to find anything on the JL, so I was using logical reasoning based on the JK and TJ wiring that I saw. So... I could be wrong, and want to get some input before I cut anymore wires.

2. The Halo's CAN'T be spliced into the JL DRL lights for some reason, and that's why I can't find any information on it. Thus means, I HAVE TO go the fusebox.

Any input would be great. I'm a fairly handy guy, but wiring is not my forte. Though I want to learn how to do it, and do it right. So while I appreciate any input, I'm not really interested in taking it in to have it done for me. At least not yet... haha.
Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Sorry for posting this in General... can't figure out how to move it to the Lighting Section.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
So I see a few posts on wiring Halos as DRL's, but didn't see any for the JL anywhere.
So my here's situation... I wanted to avoid wiring the Halos as a DRL to the fusebox (just personal preference) and instead splice into the DRL side marker as I've seen many people do. So that's what I did, and the Halos do not go on with the DRL's. (They go on with the headlamp though, so I know they work). So I have two guesses of what's wrong...

1. I spliced into the wrong wire. There are three wires going to the factory DRL harness. White with a Red Stripe, White with a Yellowi-ish Stripe, and Black. My research told me to splice into the White with Red Stripe. But again, was hard to find anything on the JL, so I was using logical reasoning based on the JK and TJ wiring that I saw. So... I could be wrong, and want to get some input before I cut anymore wires.

2. The Halo's CAN'T be spliced into the JL DRL lights for some reason, and that's why I can't find any information on it. Thus means, I HAVE TO go the fusebox.

Any input would be great. I'm a fairly handy guy, but wiring is not my forte. Though I want to learn how to do it, and do it right. So while I appreciate any input, I'm not really interested in taking it in to have it done for me. At least not yet... haha.
Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Sorry for posting this in General... can't figure out how to move it to the Lighting Section.

It's the white/green(possibly yellowish-green) wire in the side marker. I had mine that way at first, but I didn't like having the side markers and 4 halos (Headlights and fogs) all on, so I did a fuse tap so the halos come on anytime the ignition is on, and turned the DRLS off in the settings

OP
OP
License2Bill

License2Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's the white/green(possibly yellowish-green) wire in the side marker. I had mine that way at first, but I didn't like having the side markers and 4 halos (Headlights and fogs) all on, so I did a fuse tap so the halos come on anytime the ignition is on, and turned the DRLS off in the settings
Thanks for the feedback. I can see how that gives you more flexibility, which is always nice. If there a functional reason you didn't want the DRL side markers on with the Halo's? Something I'm over looking? Or was it just a personal preference?

Couple follow up questions...

1. What fuse did you tap into? I see a lot of people mention the heated seats. However my car HAS heated seats, and I don't want to lose that option. Not sure if the harness allows you to have both or not.

2. Do you have to tap into a fuse for each light? Or can you connect both DRL wires from the headlights together, then splice it into 1 wire running to 1 fuse?

3. Are your fog lights running as DRL's too then?

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
Thanks for the feedback. I can see how that gives you more flexibility, which is always nice. If there a functional reason you didn't want the DRL side markers on with the Halo's? Something I'm over looking? Or was it just a personal preference?

1. What fuse did you tap into? I see a lot of people mention the heated seats. However my car HAS heated seats, and I don't want to lose that option. Not sure if the harness allows you to have both or not.

2. Do you have to tap into a fuse for each light? Or can you connect both DRL wires from the headlights together, then splice it into 1 wire running to 1 fuse?

You can use this and still keep your heated seats fused separately.
https://www.amazon.com/Uriveusa-Cir..._1_3?keywords=Micro+tap&qid=1579284918&sr=8-3

OP
OP
License2Bill

License2Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Sponsored

AnARcHy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Toyota Tacoma, 1990 Toyota Truck, 1998 FLSTC
Occupation
Firefighter
This is exactly the harness I was looking at if I went the fuse route. Good to know this will work. Thanks!
So per my question above? Do I need to run a separate harness for each light? or can I splice both into 1 harness.
Less wires is better imo, that's all.
I don’t have the halo lights, but here is an install video of the Oracle Occulus lights. Both DRL lights tie together and go into the fuse box.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...d-headlight-upgrade-for-the-jeep-jl-jt.34999/

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase

Fuse was #52 Cigarette Lighter. Just the one, because the power is coming from the main plug, the tapped line is just feeding a signal.(my lights have the option of Amber or White Halos)

I just thought it was too many lights running for DRL, and it took away from the Halo effect.
jeepLights.jpg