Sponsored

Half doors review

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Context:

I’ve owned a JK with half doors for 13 years. That’s a long time. It was like my second home. The half doors were on permanently. I owned a JL with half doors for only a week now, but already have a lot to say. Naturally I compare the JK half doors to the JL half doors.

Disclaimer: It is hard to describe in writing all the mechanics. A lot of details I had to leave out as too complicated to explain in writing.

In a nutshell:

Because the JL half doors are packaged as an add on and not factory installed there are a lot of adjustments to get it right. Also because of technological advancements there are more moving parts, which are more fragile, making them less durable and probably have a shorter life span.

EDIT: I absolutely love my JL. I just feel the JLs are more fragile than the JKs in many ways, although more technologically advanced. And honestly the JKs were more fragile than the TJs.

In more details:

The doors

The JL doors are very light and easy to handle. The JL doors have power mirrors and power locks, while the JK mirrors and locks were manual.

The JK doors came perfectly installed from the factory, so lock hinges and everything was perfectly aligned and door color compared to vehicle color was perfectly matched. Operation was smooth.

Because the JL doors need to be installed, you can either get lucky or not with how perfectly the door lock hinges align once you put the doors on. Mine were not perfect, but good enough for now that I didn’t want to mess with loosening the door hinges to adjust, which I’m guessing may be a two person operation to get it right. Note that unlike the full doors’ hinge bolts which are body colored to match, the half doors’ hinge bolts are black (not painted) since you mess with them and don’t want paint to chip off.

The two holes at the top of each JL half door where the uppers slide in are surprisingly disappointing compared to the JK’s half doors. On the JL they are made of bent painted metal with lots of gaps and opening for water (eg rain) to get into the door and who knows what. I already managed to scratch a lot of the paint off the inside of these metal walled holes (see pictures below) trying to adjust the uppers, but that’s a whole other story I’ll get to below. The JK holes where lined with heavy duty plastic, completely water proofed the door’s internals, and lasted 13 years with no problems.

The interior of the JL half doors is nice but again less durable and less functional than the JK half doors. The JK half doors had solid handles (doubled as arm rests) to pull the door in to shut the door closed. They were positioned further back on the door giving it more leverage to close the door. The JL half door has a small strap positioned closer to the front which provides less leverage when closing the door and is far less durable. They will probably not last 13 years like my JK’s did.

The uppers

The JL uppers have a bit more mechanical technology than the JK uppers, due to necessity of them being add-ons that may need adjustments for proper installation, but at the expense of more moving parts that are extremely fragile.

The JK uppers had two solid one piece heavy duty plastic “legs” that slid easily in a straight forward and simple way into the two holes in the half doors. It was very easy to use and lasted 13 years with no problems. The JL uppers have wimpy “legs” with lots of wimpy moving parts including a complicated mechanism with a little screw and nut to adjust the angle of the legs so the upper is more tilted or less tilted towards the roofline when in the door to prevent water leaks.

This mechanism sounds good on paper but is a nightmare to understand, use, and is super fragile, which again probably won’t last as long. And we are talking about your doors. A critical part of your vehicle.

I haven’t mastered the mechanism yet for adjusting the tilt of the uppers (and I’m an engineer by profession), and it definitely needs adjustment, but I did manage to significantly wear out the bolt mechanism on the upper’s legs trying, and scratched the paint off the inside of the pained metal holes on the half doors. So aggravating.

Let me give you some tips that are not included in the Mopar video or in the instruction manual, and in fact may be misleading in the video/manual. Common sense would say that the tilt angle of both legs of an upper should be the same, but it doesn’t say that and there is no easy way to tell if they are except when you put the upper into the half door it gets stuck inside so bad that you at a minimum scratch the paint off and at worst break the legs, if the legs have different angles. Same if you adjust it to tilt too much. There is no guidance on the maximum tilt it can handle, but it seems it will let you go further than it can handle.

After struggling trying to adjust one door and wearing out components and scratching pain of insides of half doors, I gave up trying the other doors. On the JK they just worked from the factory with no adjustment and never leaked.

Usability

With the uppers on the Jeep, the vertical divider in the window blocks a bit the view of the side view mirror. I cannot see the yellow triangle light in the mirror when a vehicle is in my blind spot, and it cuts off a bit of the view of the mirror. I am 6’2” tall, sit with seat all the way back, but with back rest vertical, not tilted back too much.

EDIT: I love, in both the JK and JL, that you can unzip the front of the plastic window, push the window out a bit to create a crack in the front side of the window channeling just enough air into the Jeep. Except in the JL the window divider causes the opening to be further back compared to the JK, which results in air blowing into my ears rather than my face like with the JK. With full doors when you open a crack in the window the crack is at the top, but with the half doors you can make the crack in the front (not top) which is so so much nicer.

In conclusion

I love my new Jeep with the half doors, but wish the half doors came installed properly at the factory and where more solid and with less moving parts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review A8CE99CD-F111-4B5C-A47C-A0954CC69576
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review 595F7380-7BF9-4398-B421-8DD2D88765F8

Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review B6C9B860-58AA-4BF4-B3C8-C324620EBE23
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review 079D89C2-5954-4621-8B6F-63DDE25C4FBD
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review CCB6C565-2D04-4440-B0A9-4CBADF13EF89
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review 8FF6E73D-6A56-43CF-A956-0F42E6F4E91A

Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review 1FC6E3CA-0558-42C6-99C4-FF7E0153F921
Sponsored

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
there are a lot of adjustments to get it right
Nice write up. This is true but they are minor.

After the initial unboxing of the half doors, installing them is as easy as putting the full doors back on (it’s almost the same process). The half doors have the electronics in place from the factory (locking doors and powered mirrors).

When making adjustments to the half door after installing each one, it’s very important to NOT adjust the vehicle’s inner door stainless steel latch OR any of the hinges that are on the Jeep’s body (these are set from the factory for the full doors - leave them alone).

The hinges ON the half doors may need minor adjustments but it all depends on how well each one closes/opens and secures to the respective door latch. Remember: Adjust the half doors to fit the body, do not adjust the body to fit the half door. Any adjustments happen at the hinges that are on the half doors.

The uppers themselves can be a bit trickier to manipulate. It’s not designed to be overly complex but can be a little finicky. I tinkered with the driver’s side and managed to get it right.

Note: I don’t have half doors but helped a friend and his wife set theirs up this last weekend as they just picked up their factory ordered JLUR.

Last edited:

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Aren't there plastic plugs to cover up those holes? I saw them in the parts diagram. Not that it's an excuse to not have a proper bushing in there, but.. effectively there would always be something in the hole, so you'd only see the scratched-up inside when installing/removing the uppers, so.. I guess it could have been justified?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Aren't there plastic plugs to cover up those holes?
Yes - it’s the same textured material that follows the shape and contours of what’s on the rest of the door. They ship as part of the doors, are already installed and can be left alone if the driver doesn’t want to roll around with uppers on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Nice write up. This is true but they are minor.

After the initial unboxing of the half doors, installing them is as easy as putting the full doors back on (it’s almost the same process). The half doors have the electronics in place from the factory (locking doors and powered mirrors).

When making adjustments to the half door after installing each one, it’s very important to NOT adjust the vehicle’s inner door stainless steel latch OR any of the hinges that are on the Jeep’s body (these are set from the factory for the full doors - leave them alone).

The hinges ON the half doors may need minor adjustments but it all depends on how well each one closes/opens and secures to the respective door latch. Remember: Adjust the half doors to fit the body, do not adjust the body to fit the half door. Any adjustments happen at the hinges that are on the half doors.

The uppers themselves can be a bit trickier to manipulate. It’s not designed to be overly complex but can be a little finicky. I tinkered with the driver’s side and managed to get it right.

Note: I don’t have half doors but helped a friend and his wife set theirs up this last weekend as they just picked up their factory ordered JLUR.
Thanks for sharing. It’s nice to get people’s different experiences. In my case I was used to one thing for over a decade, so it may just be adjusting to change.

My doors and uppers are setup ok, but still seem off to me (light comes in through a few spots). Uppers stick out a bit. I just don’t trust myself not to make it worst at the moment with upper legs being off at different angles which causes damage, but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. Last night it was pouring rain and this morning I check and it did NOT seem to leak in. I’m attributing it more to those fancy gutters the JLs have (that the JKs didn’t) more so than the good seal of the doors at the top.

Aren't there plastic plugs to cover up those holes? I saw them in the parts diagram. Not that it's an excuse to not have a proper bushing in there, but.. effectively there would always be something in the hole, so you'd only see the scratched-up inside when installing/removing the uppers, so.. I guess it could have been justified?
Yes, you are right. It’s just a new habit I may need to start doing (putting those 8 plugs in) Didn’t need to for over a decade, so an adjustment.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I assume there is some sort of weep hole in the doors? If rain gets in the holes along the top of the half doors?

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
It’s been almost three months owning the half doors on the JL and had them on since I got the Jeep…

I absolutely love the half doors and couldn’t own another Jeep without them on all summer and we’ll see how long of spring. Having full doors in winter will be a new experience for me.

I didn’t attempt to adjust door hinges or upper’s legs (since the one attempt on one upper) but everything is working fine. Looking at all the doors closed it could be a bit better, but water doesn’t leak inside so I’ll leave it as is.

it took a long time for people riding along to pull the doors closed properly… ie pulling the straps to close. It is not obvious as they are so far forward on the door. People keep pulling the latch intended to open the door instead when trying to close the door which results in me cringing when the door bounces back open after hitting the latch in a bad way. But by now most people got used to closing it properly.

I understand why the window is split vertically so only the rear part of the window folds down so it results in all the controls on the door accessible. I got used to the split window obstructing some of the visibility, but I wish they found a way to not have the window split.

I hope Jeep comes out with different versions of uppers sold via Mopar parts:

- Upper without a split window (just one big one) and with solid legs (no moving parts for adjustment)

- Upper that is metal to match a painted or unpainted hard top.

@JeepCares On the survey I got from Jeep regarding my purchase they ask for feedback on the Jeep and I gave the feedback I gave in this thread (which I started) but could not elaborate as I do here. Please forward to the appropriate people this entire thread if useful to Jeep. Thanks.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Hah.. my daughter has tried closing the door by the door opener too. If the uppers aren't on, I grab the top of the door, but with the uppers in.... Yeah I fumble around a bit to grab something.

The pull strap maybe isn't in a place that makes sense. It's down too low and too far forward I think. I'm not sure why they eliminated the recess in the armrest to grab. I rarely have the uppers on, so, it's just a minor ergonomic failure.

My only real complaint is the omission of a door check.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Hah.. my daughter has tried closing the door by the door opener too. If the uppers aren't on, I grab the top of the door, but with the uppers in.... Yeah I fumble around a bit to grab something.

The pull strap maybe isn't in a place that makes sense. It's down too low and too far forward I think. I'm not sure why they eliminated the recess in the armrest to grab. I rarely have the uppers on, so, it's just a minor ergonomic failure.

My only real complaint is the omission of a door check.
Exactly, my kids and wife kept trying to close the door by pulling the latch intended to open the door. Thats after unsuccessfully looking for a way go grab the armrest which is not grab-able. Yes, much easier when uppers are off.

Anyways still absolutely love them.

OP
OP
FunWagon

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I posted these elsewhere but relevant here too… ha ha
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review C3E96612-5E68-49C7-BCEA-19DEB1380519
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review 9EDF4B9A-C170-475F-9D64-6A0CC86B8E4D
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors review E5AD9B66-55CE-4377-992B-06F486B1B029

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I assume there is some sort of weep hole in the doors? If rain gets in the holes along the top of the half doors?
All doors are constructed this way. Water enters all vehicle doors every time it rains.
Sponsored