Half doors false advertising -- IMO

JESM

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver Moab
Wow!!! Those turned out AMAZING!. Congrats!! Definitely gives us a good idea of how JLs would look. I say FCA should make them!!.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I've never understood the half door, or tube door, or any other fancy aftermarket door thing.

I guess maybe if you live in the desert or something with no rain, a half door with no windows would work.

For me, I love taking my doors OFF, and having NOTHING, and that's great. And I also like having a full door with a real window that I can roll down easily at will including at highway speeds, the rest of the time.

Anything in between seems like more expense and hassle than it's worth, in my opinion.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I've never understood the half door, or tube door, or any other fancy aftermarket door thing.

I guess maybe if you live in the desert or something with no rain, a half door with no windows would work.

For me, I love taking my doors OFF, and having NOTHING, and that's great. And I also like having a full door with a real window that I can roll down easily at will including at highway speeds, the rest of the time.

Anything in between seems like more expense and hassle than it's worth, in my opinion.
I had a YJ with half doors that I drove daily for 7 years. The half doors feel much more open without the uppers than full doors. And when I put the top down I just shoved the uppers down in the rear cargo area so I could put them back on any time.

On the other hand, the windows basically became opaque over time, it was a pain in the ass to unzip the windows, the windows had to either be fully up or fully down, and the window frames bent and flapped at highway speeds. I was glad to be rid of them.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I had a YJ with half doors that I drove daily for 7 years. The half doors feel much more open without the uppers than full doors. And when I put the top down I just shoved the uppers down in the rear cargo area so I could put them back on any time.

On the other hand, the windows basically became opaque over time, it was a pain in the ass to unzip the windows, the windows had to either be fully up or fully down, and the window frames bent and flapped at highway speeds. I was glad to be rid of them.
I think it will be interesting to see how the Bronco does with its frameless windows. I do see how that would be a lot better than the full frame doors we have in the Jeep. But I certainly wouldn't trade a roll up/down window for cut down doors.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

I use the tube doors when my wife and/or mom are in the Jeep. Makes them feel safer

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I use the tube doors when my wife and/or mom are in the Jeep. Makes them feel safer
My wife and mom won't ride in the Jeep with the doors off. That's a feature, not a flaw. They can take my wife's CUV and ride by themselves ;)

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
A 7-speed manual looks good on paper. I drove a 7-speed manual transmission Porsche once. It was hard to remember on what gear you were at any given time without looking, and/or if you ought to be shifting.

There’s something natural and intuitive about a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission. Going over that you are adding complication for little added benefit.
The 7th gear on the bronco is for crawling.. It's like, super granny. I don't know what the shift pattern looks like, but I'd assume it's tucked up next to first, maybe with a lockout?
The Porsche is a different beast because you have 7 standard gears which means two gates in the middle of the pattern. The Bronco won''t have that issue much like the Toyota and Jeep 6-speed patterns with "R" off to one side behind a detent or lockout.

They released shots of the Bronco knob and it's literally the same pattern as the JL but with "C" down and in. Functionally there's no difference and since it's a gear you'll only use in specific scenarios, it's no harder knowing what gear you're in than in any other 6 speed.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Anything in between seems like more expense and hassle than it's worth, in my opinion
I had a YJ with half doors that I drove daily for 7 years. The half doors feel much more open without the uppers than full doors
I didn’t think I’d miss them so much. The half doors are truly “a Jeep thing” - far more open than simply lowering the window, more secure than taking the door off completely.
the Bronco knob
This fragment deserves it’s own quote.

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I just got an email from "Jeep Brand" and it shows the new 392 wrangler as an officially released vehicle. But here's the thing. The picture from the email shows half doors (see the images below). And many of the past marketing images I've seen (of regular wranglers) show wranglers with half doors.
If you want my opinion on this, it is false advertising. In fact those very same images were a major factor in my buying a new wrangler to replace my previous vehicle. I had half doors on my old YJ and after seeing JKs with the funky full doors I was kind of turned off by the wrangler for the longest time. But when I saw those JL half doors in all the marketing images I just assumed I could get them.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
Absolutely! Here's a relevant thread...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/what-happened-to-half-doors.31270/post-792181

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Half doors have only been shown on pre-production models and concept vehicles.
By that logic they can deliver something that looks like a Smart ForTwo after showing this at launch
Jeep Wrangler JL Half doors false advertising -- IMO wrangler-jl-1

Half doors are fantastic! But all three of mine had significant water leaks. FCA has spent a lot trying to fix mine and many others with only limited success. That likely factors into why they are not offering them. Jeep is very afraid of its leak stigma which is much improved in the JL model.
That's absurd. Why did they show them at the JL launch? Did they learn about the so called water leaks in JKs (which I haven't experienced) after they did the launch?

Chris.steger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL
I just got an email from "Jeep Brand" and it shows the new 392 wrangler as an officially released vehicle. But here's the thing. The picture from the email shows half doors (see the images below). And many of the past marketing images I've seen (of regular wranglers) show wranglers with half doors.
If you want my opinion on this, it is false advertising. In fact those very same images were a major factor in my buying a new wrangler to replace my previous vehicle. I had half doors on my old YJ and after seeing JKs with the funky full doors I was kind of turned off by the wrangler for the longest time. But when I saw those JL half doors in all the marketing images I just assumed I could get them.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
I can tell you from previous experience,, you do not want 1/2 doors from Mopar!!!
I had them on my 2017 JKU.. it was the ABSOULTE worst!!!

I was lucky enough to find the 1/2 door, manual transmission gem a few years ago.
My water issues were unreal!!!
It started with 8 trips back to local Jeep dealer to continuously replace the door seals.
That fixed it for about a month,,, Then back again.
When it rained, it would have 3-5" of rain in the floorboard.
I could take it thru a car wash and never have a single issue, but when it was parked and rained,, it would flood!

I took it up with FCA and they agreed that it was poor build quality. They stated that it was not something they specialized in because not many 1/2 doors were sold.

They look great, remind you of the older TJ/CJ jeeps, but it was nothing but troubles..

Be glad you have full doors.. I promise, the long run- it is worth it..

MMcFett

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Wrangler Unlimited - Stingray
I couldn't wait any longer for the Mopar doors. I bought the JCR doors and had them painted. Makes me smile every time I look at her. Working on modifying the Bestop Soft Uppers to fit right now...stay tuned.

What do you do for side mirrors? Your setup really makes me want to go this route!

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
This seems like an engineering thing that should be easy to solve. It the Bronco can figure out frameless windows no reason the Jeep can't. Even if its an option instead of standard using some type of bolt on seal that can be removed; would be a much better solution right out of the box. I agree there is a need, but truthfully there probably isn't a huge market for half doors that makes it a worthwhile factory option for Jeep. Half doors without windows is useless for dealers to pre-order because they then have to worry about upkept of those wranglers until they sell; they can't store them outside without protection of the interior and I would beat almost all dealerships don't have access to indoor storage garage like a lot of luxury dealers. Many on the forum are clamoring for them, but this place is the minority of Wrangler owners; would be more profitable as a true accessory for Mopar and it would sell. Final question is if updated regulations require full doors on new production vehicles?
Sponsored