Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Do you realize a Jeep with half doors only has one glass window, the windshield! Great in the winter as none of the plastic windows get frost buildup overnight. Never had a problem with heater or with water leaks. If power dies to vehicle then can still open the windows... as long as you know how to use zippers.
Sponsored

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
WOW...I placed an order for a 2021 Willys with the dual doors in Chief blue. My order was cancelled just spoke to my dealer he was communicating with Jeep and the ONLY colors half doors are coming with are Granite, Sarge, Sting grey....PERIOD. WTF Jeep?????
Iā€™m so ticked off right now with Jeep I donā€™t know what to do. First these total idiots are forcing me into a Hardtop if I choose Hella Yella! The stupidity of that surpasses all understanding!

Now it appears I cannot get the dual doors because half doors arenā€™t available in Hella!

Iā€™d gladly buy dual tops and dual doors upon ordering to get the Jeep I want.

Jeep, you are ruining my dream build! Iā€™m so sick of this nonsense Iā€™m considering forgetting even ordering one now. Who knows, maybe Iā€™ll try and find a super clean unmolested TJ Rubi or take a long hard look at the new Bronco?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Iā€™m so ticked off right now with Jeep I donā€™t know what to do. First these total idiots are forcing me into a Hardtop if I choose Hella Yella! The stupidity of that surpasses all understanding!

Now it appears I cannot get the dual doors because half doors arenā€™t available in Hella!

Jeep, you are ruining my dream build! Iā€™m so sick of this nonsense Iā€™m considering forgetting even ordering one now. Who knows, maybe Iā€™ll try and find a super clean unmolested TJ Rubi or take a long hard look at the new Bronco?
We're early in the '21 ordering season... wait a few weeks and all of that will likely resolve itself.

olmectech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I know that people love half doors. Having never had them, I guess that I just donā€™t get it:

what is the difference between a ā€œhalf doorā€ and a ā€œregular door with the window rolled downā€œ???

Iā€™m serious. Iā€™m a newbie and I donā€™t ā€œget itā€.....
It's hard to explain unless you've had them, but it's more like having no doors than a regular door with windows down.

Sponsored

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
My 99 TJ vs 2016 Rubicon both with half doors. I will always miss the low cut TJ half doors...
  • If youā€™re willing to spend $4K, I recommend getting sliders (easy and worth it mod).
  • For what itā€™s worth, speaking as someone who owned half doors on my last two Jeeps, after learning first-hand with the JK that the half door is now more like a TJ full door, itā€™s a strong pass this time around - especially at $4K.

A32F3F80-AB05-4649-8D6F-C410BD6CC38C.png

B9F69A67-2501-448F-AD79-EEBD228AA924.png

284864C5-343A-45DA-A3F9-3EEBA30B3B3F.png

CE574DF9-8197-46FF-89A5-013D304F4D5F.png

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6

Might be easier to find a less molested JK than a TJ. Bronco's problem is it's a shameful rip-off and it will always be for people who are afraid to run solid axles back and front.

I would like to see a black windshield frame option.
That would give a very different look... like the jeep tried to drive under a leprechaun bridge.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I am interested to see what the seal is like on the half window...the older ones closed on the top itself, if you remember the top or the side wrapped around the b pillar frame and the window just sealed against it. With the new JL top there is an actual exposed frame . So one would assume there will be the rubber gasket around and it probably sealing it better because of the frame. Granted it will still seperate at highway speeds in the wind ..but it may create a better seal or vacuum. I love the half doors not so much the uppers. I've had the sliding glass/plexi and the zip kind ..can't wait to see these in person. So the price is 4000 for dual doors ..I would think at some point after the Bronco is released maybe they will allow people to order outright? and hopefully at a lower price. I'd pay 2000 for the doors if they were offered. Hell I almost paid that for the soft top and they used to be half that price.
Itā€™s not $4k for all 8 doors, thatā€™s the price just for the half doors. The base price includes the full doors.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
After my 1/2 door Chief order was cancelled, glad my original order had yet to be cancelled in the system. Got word from dealer it was built yesterday and is awaiting shipping so hopefully 2-3 wks and I'll be driving it. Ordered 8/30 build 10/13.
Once 1/2 doors are available from Mopar to order in 2021 I'll be dropping coin to get a set and have them painted to match.

Sponsored

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL / JLU Half Doors Official Press Release and Photos jlu door donut

This was the prototype "donut" door shown during the JL in 2018, you can see on it power mirror and door lock switches, I'm sure these features will be available on the now offered dual door option.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
After my 1/2 door Chief order was cancelled, glad my original order had yet to be cancelled in the system. Got word from dealer it was built yesterday and is awaiting shipping so hopefully 2-3 wks and I'll be driving it. Ordered 8/30 build 10/13.
Once 1/2 doors are available from Mopar to order in 2021 I'll be dropping coin to get a set and have them painted to match.
That's the way to take a more reasonable, balanced approach Shane. Good on you. :like:

Later,
Johnny

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's the way to take a more reasonable, balanced approach Shane. Good on you. :like:

Later,
Johnny
Thanks, regardless wrangler #8 will soon be home.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
The thing that really interested me about this thread was the reasons why others found this option so appealing when I did not.

Now let me clarify that. I'm but one consumer. If you like this product or similar variations please, with all my support get it. Wranglers are about freedom of expression; and your dollars often help small aftermarket businesses, motivating the largest aftermarket of choices of just about any vehicle.

So I read the whole thread and was able to glean the following basic reasons:

1) People liked the esthetic, particularly when paired with a soft top. (BTW, these doors don't come from MOPAR in tan do they?)

2) People liked the increased visibility they provide, particularly off road.

3) Perhaps lumped under 1), people liked the nostalgic aspects of the option from Wranglers of "days gone by."

I ask purely of curiosity, not to imply ANYTHING but buy what makes you happy, were there other reasons?

Thanks.
They are likely lighter, which is something; especially if folks so want to go doors off on occasion - easier on/off.

It gives more of that open air feeling (2-3" all around the window is not nothing) without loosing much side impact protection.

It's not legal to use aftermarket or no doors in some jurisdictions, so it's the best option available for someone who would rather have less door.

But, yeah, I think it's mostly about the look and feel. Half doors are probably a bit like 35" tires on mall crawlers. Folks have 'em because they like 'em, they don't work any better than 32" tires for getting groceries.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'm hoping to get them with power locks at the least. If it's cold enough for heated mirrors them I'm putting my full doors on.

I can't wait to see what the final product will be! Need more pictures!
Sponsored