Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'd be extremely surprised to see these powered/heated. But maybe!
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not the least bit concerned about how the uppers look on one early production (concept?) rig, and in quick 'spy' photos on the move no less. We've seen the premium soft top in person, and even the base soft top looks pretty decent. Many of us have had Bestop upper sliders on past Jeeps, and even factory uppers. I would expect the production uppers will look fine, just as interiors & tops now look way better than factory interiors / tops / uppers did back in the TJ & YJ days.

For me, this is added to my build sheet - placeholder now, until I can get an updated order guide with them in them. I plan to order ~November/December if timing works out right.

Half doors on the trails are the bomb. So glad these are available, and for factory fit/finish, painted to match, keyed alike, with uppers, the price actually isn't terrible. If you don't believe me, price out some used TJ half doors in pristine non-rusty condition, painted to match, keyed alike, with proper interior color, and good condition uppers - you'll be well north of $1K just for two, I bet pushing $1500.

They're not worth it to everyone - no issue there. They're worth it for me & I'm dang glad to see them.
This.

People complaining about this stuff make me laugh. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but those that get it get it.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep can design whatever they want for uppers. The market will take care of it's shortcomings.
See, usually I'd 100% agree - but then somebody else on here said these will be a $4k option. For that kind of $$$ I'm gonna need to like the uppers.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I know that people love half doors. Having never had them, I guess that I just don’t get it:

what is the difference between a “half door” and a “regular door with the window rolled down“???

I’m serious. I’m a newbie and I don’t “get it”.....
You get a "cleaner" look for $4,000. And with that, I'm walking away from this thread backwards with my hands up in a "DON'T SHOOT" posture.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The thing that really interested me about this thread was the reasons why others found this option so appealing when I did not.

Now let me clarify that. I'm but one consumer. If you like this product or similar variations please, with all my support get it. Wranglers are about freedom of expression; and your dollars often help small aftermarket businesses, motivating the largest aftermarket of choices of just about any vehicle.

So I read the whole thread and was able to glean the following basic reasons:

1) People liked the esthetic, particularly when paired with a soft top. (BTW, these doors don't come from MOPAR in tan do they?)

2) People liked the increased visibility they provide, particularly off road.

3) Perhaps lumped under 1), people liked the nostalgic aspects of the option from Wranglers of "days gone by."

I ask purely of curiosity, not to imply ANYTHING but buy what makes you happy, were there other reasons?

Thanks.

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
You get a "cleaner" look for $4,000. And with that, I'm walking away from this thread backwards with my hands up in a "DON'T SHOOT" posture.
For the folks that think it's only about looks, I agree - not worth it. Especially on 4-doors.

For the folks that take the top off but still want doors - *and* go offroad & need to see where their tires are placed, half doors are very functional. Also if you wheel in places where weather changes quickly but like the open air experience, they are a great option to seal up the cab when the weather blows in.

I was once wheeling my LJ on Imogene pass on a July 4th, soft top down, half doors on & upper half doors stashed in the back. It turned from 72F to 34F & raining sideways above 11,500'. With a quick stop on the side of the trail, the Jeep was buttoned up & the heater was on. When the weather was nice, it was all open with great views of the mountains & I could see placement of the tires as well as having no doors on. Win/Win. To me, that's what Jeeping is about.

And a lot cheaper on a 2-door. ;-)

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Pennsylvania is probably the worst about this. There are a lot of people who have been ticketed there.
Happened to me many, many times. Glad I left but I do miss the mountains though.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
For people talking about different uppers being available, try finding them for the jk. They aren't that many out there. There was a company that made a sliding upper but it had you cut your current window and drill into it.

I'd say for the most part aftermarket uppers aren't going to be that full of options. That being said, I'm more interested to see how much they do or don't block the mirrors before I make a decision. I'm still buying them though cause they are light and easy take off and on again. I rarely unzipped the window instead of just taking the whole upper off

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
For people talking about different uppers being available, try finding them for the jk. They aren't that many out there. There was a company that made a sliding upper but it had you cut your current window and drill into it.

I'd say for the most part aftermarket uppers aren't going to be that full of options. That being said, I'm more interested to see how much they do or don't block the mirrors before I make a decision. I'm still buying them though cause they are light and easy take off and on again. I rarely unzipped the window instead of just taking the whole upper off
Same idea here. I plan on ordering them with my 2021 regardless and will more often than not just have the uppers removed. Loved them on my YJ's.

mismith

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2016 JKU
The little fabric pillar they added looks HORRIBLE. It's so bad I'm hoping these are spy shots from when they were testing the half doors and the uppers are still in design.

Can we just get the TJ design team off the trails and out of the bars for one minute and get them on this? Give me one big piece of window I have to manhandle into submission.

JeepTJ Halfsies.jpg

Beautiful Jeep! Perfect Half Door design! Jeep, you know what to do!

And if I cannot get these with my new Hella Yella 2 door Rubi, I am gonna be livid!

PS
Why Did I ever let my wife talk me into selling my beautiful '04 TJ and get a JKU:facepalm:

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the folks that think it's only about looks, I agree - not worth it. Especially on 4-doors.

For the folks that take the top off but still want doors - *and* go offroad & need to see where their tires are placed, half doors are very functional. Also if you wheel in places where weather changes quickly but like the open air experience, they are a great option to seal up the cab when the weather blows in.

I was once wheeling my LJ on Imogene pass on a July 4th, soft top down, half doors on & upper half doors stashed in the back. It turned from 72F to 34F & raining sideways above 11,500'. With a quick stop on the side of the trail, the Jeep was buttoned up & the heater was on. When the weather was nice, it was all open with great views of the mountains & I could see placement of the tires as well as having no doors on. Win/Win. To me, that's what Jeeping is about.

And a lot cheaper on a 2-door. ;-)
Yep !

How fast did it go back to 72? Haha... good ol' CO.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I kinda like the window... gives it an old school look.... with the quarter window.... but it does look kinda sloppy.... would need to be tightened up a little....

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep JL / JLU Half Doors Official Press Release and Photos Old_Jeep_in_France,_pic1.JPG

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hah! It was 72 again down at 8000'!
So great. I was there last weekend and we wheeled a few of the passes. Good times.
Sponsored