Sponsored

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Just my .02 concerning the new half doors, for those of you who are like me and LOVED the TJ half doors. On my 2016 JK, I purchased factory half doors from someone on the forum. I also upgraded the Mopar uppers to include glass sliders (which is also what I did on my ole Red TJ). If you get half doors, I recommend this mod.

I was initially happy with the half doors, however due to new door safety standards the newer half doors come up A LOT higher than the ole TJ half doors did and it was more like converting from a new JK full-door to a TJ Full-door (before the new door standards were Implemented). I am unsure when this change was implemented, but for context - new car doors were made with a higher door-to-window ratio (windows got smaller). Long story short, I didnā€™t see much of a difference in the half vs. full size door on the JK, because of this (maybe 2.5ā€ or so, possibly less - Iā€™m basing this on memory, so I could be off). Were they cool - sure, just not anything close to what I expected, compared to my TJ half doors. In the end I sold them and stuck with full doors.

With that said, I do think half doors create a nice symmetrical body line from the windshield back, which is an awesome look - just donā€™t expect it to be anything like the ole TJ half doors.

I think the asking price is too high for something that doesnā€™t make a huge difference - at least when you compare these to the older TJ half doors. The reason I loved the old TJ half doors is because it gave you the feeling of driving without doors; however if rain came, you could just toss in uppers and be covered.

Now if for $4K Jeep made it possible to safely store full or half doors in the back of the jeep (i.e. new Bronco), that for me would make it worth it $$$$.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
At one time, the Jeep Wrangler was a relatively inexpensive 4x4 off road vehicle that came with two half door's each having a soft upper half and a convertible soft top that where standard. Full doors and a hardtop were luxury options one could upgrade to for more money. It will be interesting watching Jeeps marketing people sell Jeep enthusiast half doors with soft uppers for thousands of dollars when they used to be included in the base price of the vehicle.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it's in the dealer's ordering system, but no ordering guide has been published yet.
correct in the dealers entry system available on all models from base sport on up both 2dr and 4dr Jeeps and from colors Chief Blue is now available to order

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I think it would look better if we didnt have the roll bar right there. With a half door it kind of still looks like there is a full door there.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There's a great explanation that shows up if you use the following key combination...
Windows: Alt-F4
Mac: āŒ˜ Cmd+w
Thanks!!! very well explained. Makes a lot more sense now. Never thought about half doors that way before.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I like how they show up on the order info then immediately show up with pictures.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The soft window is ugly as sin but I wouldn't want them anyway.

For my personal use / interest, the key thing about the half doors is how much better the Jeep will look with them and the top off. If our regular doors were frameless i would not have a need for half doors, but.....

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Guessing the uppers will only be available in black and not tan?
I'm assuming that they have the Soft top material for tan, they will offer the uppers to match the soft top. They always have in the past. It may take a little longer to get Tan though, as IIRC Tan tops were just starting to be offered when I ordered in Sept 2018

Actually, speaking of functional uppers- This is a very good point: these doors offer uppers. I know the aftermarket will crop up around their offerings, and as much as I like the other ones (Motobilt, etc) good fitting uppers are something with a door that has a finished look is something I would pay a little extra for.. in a couple years. That was the issue with my TJ's- you can always find the doors, in varying conditions, for various prices- but the uppers are either trashed or non-existent, or you're ordering brand new; And that's if your half doors even accept uppers, because many are "trail doors" and as such, do not offer that option to plug uppers into it should the weather turn too wet or cold.

My thinking is in a couple years, they'll be pretty appealing to me: my Jeep will be paid for. It'll be on 37's (+/-), My kids will be older. I always liked running half doors on the trail in my TJ's because it kept the inside relatively clean, which was a huge bonus if I had to drive it to work or go anywhere after a trail ride. it's way easier to run half doors and throw the uppers in the back (especially if I'm going out for a weekend at Rausch Creek or a Jamboree event where there will be some travel involved in getting there).

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
This is EXACTLY how I feel too!

YES!!!!FINALLY!!!! (But the uppers do look stupid as crap!)

I am confused a little though. I emailed FCA a little over a month ago and asked about future availability of factory Half Doors. They responded in less than 24 hrs. with ā€œUnfortunately factory Half Doors for the JL will not be available. Please work with your local Mopar Dealer to find an aftermarket solution if you need Half Doorsā€

Is this sudden availability brought about by pressure from the Bronco? If it is then thank you FORD! Iā€™ve always despised the look of full frame doors on any Jeep with the top down/off. It just ruins the look of this American icon!

I had half doors on both my YJā€™s and my TJ and absolutely loved them! Mine never leaked enough to complain.

We have not ordered yet and this is some very welcome news. Iā€™ll be ordering a Hella Yella 2 door Rubi w/6 spd. manual. I definitely want the half doors and not opposed to dual tops and dual doors if I can get it? I donā€™t mind the full doors with a hard top. If I cannot get it all then Iā€™ll just get the premium soft top with half doors. On the Jeep build and price it allows me to choose both the hard top and premium soft top but I donā€™t see any door options....