First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
So I keep going back and forth on ordering half doors with a 2DR Sport. I don't like how it auto 'upgrades' power windows/locks/mirrors. But my bigger concern is the uppers. I think they look great in half-door mode, but concerned I'll be miserable with the uppers. What is real world experience like with them? How easy is it to re/unzip the window. Can you see through them ok? Noisy? Maybe don't bother with them and leave the uppers off full time (although that might be a problem as I will have to park it in LA on occasion). What about the quality of the base uppers as mine would not be the premium. I just have this vision of driving around with half doors in Los Angeles on a hot summer day then hitting the trails on the weekend. I like the look and the extra openness they give.

BUT if they are truly more trouble than they are worth, I'd re-think by build. Can anyone give me an honest opinion with daily driving with them as I'd rather not have to swap doors just because the uppers are a giant PITA... not to mention they are not very attractive either. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but in the winter you'll like the full doors. When I put my halfdoors on I am not really using the uppers and only have them for weather. They are fine when the window is up, but I would not want to drive with the window folded down. It would be in my way for where I rest my elbow. I don't think the zipper window is that much of a PITA, but it is definitely not as easy as power windows; easier than window crank. Now that I have half doors I don't find much desire to go doorless and glad I got them.

Security: if you have halfdoors you are going to draw attention to you vehicle as an easy target. I prefer to just not leave anything of value in the jeep and lock center consoles, etc. Just like a softtop, half doors are not secure and to me they seem even easier of a target than full door w/softtop.

noise: the fabric is not as good as full doors and hard top at reducing noise, say from a passing car. But at highway speeds I think the softop and halfdoors is just as quiet and hardtop with full doors. And softtop with full doors seems quieter than hardtop w/ full doors to me.

Carnut12

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 BMW M4
Your question is exactly why I didn’t order half doors, I would never use the awful side windows so essentially the half doors are no different then buying tube doors or just going doorless.
Sponsored