Sponsored

Half-Door uppers..."CON" as opposed to Pro?

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Not a con to me but feel obligated to pass this along to others. I have had much worse than this. This is only about 10-15 mph winds and not directly into it. When stronger and straight into it AND passing a big rig, it is much worse. NO REGRETS though. I did not get these uppers for daily driving...just putting in for short, bad weather jaunts. This was a test to see if I could use the halves for our Colorado trip this summer. Not going to happen! I always wondered why so many of the "overlanders" always had their full doors on when off-roading over LONG TRIPS. Now I think I know the answer. Before you suggest that I do not have them tweaked properly, I must tell you that I think I do. No leaks with rain on my daily commute when there is no wind issue. Just passing along my experience with our NW IA winds.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
That brings back memories of my YJ and TJ and having to bend the upper window rods to try and angle them in more to get more force!

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
If you unzip the window even 1/4 it will allow the door top to stay closed. I had them on a TJ and they used to make sliders for the halfs for that reason, you could slide it open instead of having the unzipped portion going balistic from the wind/suction. They still opened slightly tho not as bad.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Are these the best top uppers for their soft doors?

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
These look like the actual half door uppers from Jeep...you can see there is a smaller window in front of the zipped one.

Sponsored

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
This is a little disappointing. I was really hoping they would work much better than the old best top 2 piece soft doors I had for my TJ. Looks like I will be running my full doors too when I make the trip to Colorado & Moab.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I had totally forgotten this reality of half door uppers, and will now keep the YJ 1/2 upper Sliders that I was going to sell...

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Wow, I would have thought the factory uppers would have been better than the ones that come with the aftermarket Bestop doors. I had soft doors and uppers on my TJ and never really had any of the fit issues I am hearing about with the JL.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I'm pretty sure they have "let's not test anything" days at the Jeep round table.
Back when I worked for a yacht manufacturer, you would be surprised at the amount of crap goes from design studio to full send on production product... Very little real word testing if any, customer is beta tester. I wouldn't be surprised if auto companies done the same for factory approved aftermarket items. There's a reason they don't sell it as standalone option installed at the factory.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Back when I worked for a yacht manufacturer, you would be surprised at the amount of crap goes from design studio to full send on production product... Very little real word testing if any, customer is beta tester. I wouldn't be surprised if auto companies done the same for factory approved aftermarket items. There's a reason they don't sell it as standalone option installed at the factory.
Pretty sure they did with the JK if I remember correctly.

Notwithstanding, this is kind of brutal considering they're like $4k or something.

Also doesn't explain crappy seating position for anyone over 6'.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Pretty sure they did with the JK if I remember correctly.

Notwithstanding, this is kind of brutal considering they're like $4k or something.

Also doesn't explain crappy seating position for anyone over 6'.
I imagine in part there's regulation that delayed the release and why they are ultimately now sold as an accessory; not installed at the factory and comes separate in a box. I am curious if somewhere in some small print it says for off-road use only. I know on prior models you could get it from the factory as a standard option without power windows. I assume something changed, regulation seems the most obvious.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what happens when you make an off-road vehicle be capable of sustaining 80 MPH and then add side curtains that were originally conceived to be used at 10 MPH.

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

The installation video from Jeep has a number of ways to adjust the side curtains so they fit snugly. Bet the gaps could be reduced/eliminated with proper adjustment.

Having driven several Brit sport cars with side curtains in my youth am very familiar with the sealing qualities of the design. They all leak. Believe Jeep sells the cut down doors and side curtains with the full doors to be used in the winter/inclement weather season. Only the dedicated masochist would use them in badt weather season and expect a perfect seal.
Sponsored