Half door fans... a word.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I’m a big fan of the Mopar tube doors with cover, not as swanky but I think they look great

Jeep Wrangler JL Half door fans... a word. F12600D9-1754-44AE-867B-4B8E357C594C
Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Half doors are the one thing I regret not ordering.

I would love to have the more open-air feel of the half doors... without the worry about my camera bag (or anything else I might be toting around) flying out of the passenger side footwell as I go around a turn with the doors fully off. 😆

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Many purists prefer half doors because they are reminiscent of the way Jeeps used to be configured before (and even after) A/C was first offered. It is a much more classic style that is rarely seen in other vehicles and looks "right" to many of us who grew up driving much earlier models. As stated previously, it is also more functional because it allows for three configurations: upper and lower installed, lower only installed, and door removed. Frankly, I've never been thrilled with full doors, although they do have their pros and cons....and tubular half-doors are even worse IMHO.

Been desperately looking for a set of two factory half doors in my local area, and would snatch them up in a second if available in Sting Gray. The wait continues....
buy a set of 4 and sell the rear .You wont find fronts only

Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Half doors are probably the best thing I’ve purchased for my Jeep. Still kicking myself I didn’t order them from the factory because it would have saved me a few bucks on repaint, but the forum member who sold me them gave me a solid deal.

For me, they were perfect for living in an apartment without assigned parking. Threw my full doors in storage so I don’t have to worry about lugging them up and down multiple flights of stairs to take them on and off.

Also, I road tripped from Dallas to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and easily removed the uppers and threw them in the back while hitting the trails and didn’t have to worry about random storm clouds rolling in. I’m my opinion, much easier than removing the full doors and chaining them to a tree or the leaving them back at camp.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I’m a big fan of the Mopar tube doors with cover, not as swanky but I think they look great

Jeep Wrangler JL Half door fans... a word. 5F40DF4D-B9EA-44A7-A024-29A374D99916
Never seen covers for the tube doors. Interesting.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
buy a set of 4 and sell the rear .You wont find fronts only
Interestingly, I have seen several 2 door sets come up for sale in this forum and elsewhere, but they typically get snatched up quickly. Problem with selling rears only, is that 2-door owners can't use them and 4 door owners want a full set. Would only buy a set of four if I could get them at an amazingly low price....and we all know that's not gonna happen!

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Rehashing what I posted on that "ancient" other thread, I guess. I'm not a fan of going doorless. I'm well aware that puts me in the vast minority there. I loath how Jeeps look with full doors and the top down or off. It's just gawdawful. The only time I like full doors is with a body colored hard top. As much as I am opposed to those first two I am somehow even less fond of tube doors. Not sure why anyone thought strapping a farm gate to their Jeep was a good look. The only acceptable option in my eyes is a set of proper Mopar half doors. They're just how a Jeep is supposed to be. It actually kept me from pulling the trigger on a JL until they were made official. Unfortunately, the otherwise equipped the way I wanted JLR I bought did not have them. But they were the very first thing that I purchased for it after finding a set on FB Marketplace for less than they cost as a factory option. I may never go back to the full doors and body color hardtop mine came with after switching over to a TrekTop and half doors. If the weather looks sketchy I can pop the uppers off and flip back the Sunrider and button things up just as quickly. On stretches of a few days or more with no rain in the forecast I pull the uppers and windows.

Sponsored

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance
With half doors, you can be out and about with the uppers pulled and the top down. When a local thunderstorm pops up, you can throw in the uppers, pull up the top and be safe from getting a soaking. It's a more open experience than just the doors with the windows down, and you don't have to be fearful of gray clouds.
Don't be scared.

Gossamer

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Tesla M3P
Nostalgia. Worked at a dealership back in the YJ era. Didn't like the look of full doors with the top down. Still don't, half doors have cleaner lines.

I know if I don't want them they'll be easy to sell.

This is my first Wrangler. I had a 3 week layoff in June, went doorless for most of it. I'm a big man and learned I lean on the door ALOT during right hand turns, I know I'm not gonna fall out, but I didn't like the sensation of not leaning against a door. I kinda got used to it after 3 weeks, but I wasn't disappointed putting the doors back on.

Plan to retire in a couple years and I'll get a dog. Feel a dog is less likely to jump out with half doors over no doors.

Also, this is the first time in 30+ years I only have one vehicle. I expect I'll get a second vehicle in retirement (not sure what i want atm) which means I can switch between winter (full doors/hardtop) to summer (half doors/bikini top) once a year. Working 6 days, really not worth the effort to swap things for a day. Half doors are also easier to remove to occasionally go doorless.

All that said, my half doors are still in the boxes, lol. I made hangers while on layoff, so that's not the hold up, hmm.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
As a dad with a four door I’ll throw in my quick opinion. My kids and I love having no doors. The dog and my wife do not. We compromised and with half doors everyone is happy. We get lots of air, but no one can go flying out an open side and any backpacks don’t end up in traffic. I also love the look. One last thing, when going off-road I find the half doors give me a little more protection against flying rocks and mud.

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I ordered a set with my JL last year. My only gripe with the half doors is they are low enough that the front seat belt straps chatter horribly at higher speeds. I've tried a few tricks I read online to combat this but the only remedy I've found is I need to keep my arm on the top of the door to block the wind.

Ericthemantis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys 2.0L
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well, you shoulda ordered them and sold em if you didn't want em .

But you woulda wanted em. And now you're gonna regret it.
I woulda bought them from ya. Wifey said no to buying them on the order. She is more OK with me adding things later incrementally than all up front. So I'm gonna need to find some Sarge Green Half Doors for my JLU Willys in the next year or two (assuming I get the jeep sooner than that lol)
Sponsored