Sponsored

Half door fans... a word.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Explain to me the appeal of the half door. I considered it with my order, but to me it seemed too much like the original door. Plus with the ability to remove doors entirely, add relatively inexpensive tube doors or mesh doors... what made you opt for the half door option?
I ordered them because I wanted the open feel like my RZR that I was selling ..

after thinking about the logistics of driving 1500 miles to Moab with half doors, then having to take the windows our or back on if it rains ... Seemed like more of a hassle than anything .

Wasn't to fond of the plastic windows either, assuming they would be hard to see out of once they get rain dirt on them ...

I wasn't interested in leaving them on around the house, and only driving on fair weather days ..

I actually never used them ... sold them to a forum member before ever taking them out of the box, I'm sure he loves them for what his personal use is .. .
Sponsored

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I like the look and idea of half doors.. I don't like the $5,000 - $6,000+ price tag people ask for them.

Here's to hoping Bestop makes their Core Doors for the JL.
I wouldn’t hold your breath on the Core doors. 😫

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
  • Sad
Reactions: RZ.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
That's the plan, according to the Parts Manager at my dealer (we had a good convo on the subject.)

He suggested that Corporate is still hammering out the details of the order process, which won't be as straightforward as buying even a pricey factory lift kit. The doors, when purchased a la carte, have to be matched to the buyer's Jeep via the VIN. This creates a challenge in terms of color-matching. That in turn compels a decision on whether or not the doors will be allowed to be returned, or refused, if the color match is obviously well off the mark...as a few owner posts on this forum have plainly illustrated can occur.

There are a lot of moving parts here. I've tried to stay current because half doors were introduced as a factory option not very long after I took delivery of my new Jeep. I missed out, and of course building the doors in a piecemeal manner is ridiculously expensive, so I'm taking the long view on how they may be made available to owners like myself.
Why not eliminate the risk factor and just sell them complete either in primer or plain white? If the price was right people would just have them painted. Seems easy enough.

Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I ordered them because I wanted the open feel like my RZR that I was selling ..

after thinking about the logistics of driving 1500 miles to Moab with half doors, then having to take the windows our or back on if it rains ... Seemed like more of a hassle than anything .

Wasn't to fond of the plastic windows either, assuming they would be hard to see out of once they get rain dirt on them ...

I wasn't interested in leaving them on around the house, and only driving on fair weather days ..

I actually never used them ... sold them to a forum member before ever taking them out of the box, I'm sure he loves them for what his personal use is .. .
I've daily driven with my uppers for months now. Have put about 13k miles on my JLR since April. They take just a few seconds to pop in or out. If the weather looks good for a stretch I'll leave em at home otherwise they're fine riding in the back.

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Here's to hoping Bestop makes their Core Doors for the JL.
From what I've read the bean counters over at Bestop have more or less nixed the idea of core doors happening for JLs.....
Sponsored