Sponsored

Half door fans... a word.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Can't people that want these order these from a dealer? Or no...Just curious considering theyre pretty much paying retail here for sets anyway.
Sponsored

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
Can't people that want these order these from a dealer? Or no...Just curious considering theyre pretty much paying retail here for sets anyway.
You can't order complete half doors after the fact per se. I believe you can order all the components and then would have to get them painted which costs significantly more than ordering new with your purchase.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
You can't order complete half doors after the fact per se. I believe you can order all the components and then would have to get them painted which costs significantly more than ordering new with your purchase.
It is definitely more than ordering them from the factory to try and piece it all together after the fact. I got the parts list from AllMoparParts and it is... extensive. Hopefully, they'll be offered over the parts counter as a single part number at some point for those that already have their JLs and want them.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I'm shocked that they dont offer them as a stand alone purchase, at least in primer.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
There is something cool about going naked with a jeep, but frankly if you go do any shopping or have young kids naked can be a real hassle. I love just jumping into the jeep and feeling of doorless, but in the PNW there are too many branches and overgrowth for doorless to be reasonable offroading. In the drier climates like UT and SoCal doorless for offroading is a huge benefit. In the PNW if I'm doorless I'm just driving around the city or to work.

My 3 kids are 5 and under and they like naked, but I have to remove shoes and socks, etc because if they take anything off the likelihood of those items falling out and being gone forever is very high. Also they can't have any toys for this reason too. Half doors keep the floor area from being exposed and really make the jeep feel more opened up than just windows down. A lot less hassle to do half doors than doorless with young kids.

With shopping, I've had cases where I had to go to a couple places for errands and not having the doors leaves those purchases wide open in sight when doing doorless. With half doors it helps hide things and if you carry the windows even more so. It isn't any more secure, but it causes less anxiety in me to hurry up and get back to my jeep when I'm having to go to places that aren't quick in and outs.
opinion didn't change, but fixed a typo: for ever is now forever

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hopefully, [half doors will] be offered over the parts counter as a single part number at some point for those that already have their JLs and want them.
That's the plan, according to the Parts Manager at my dealer (we had a good convo on the subject.)

He suggested that Corporate is still hammering out the details of the order process, which won't be as straightforward as buying even a pricey factory lift kit. The doors, when purchased a la carte, have to be matched to the buyer's Jeep via the VIN. This creates a challenge in terms of color-matching. That in turn compels a decision on whether or not the doors will be allowed to be returned, or refused, if the color match is obviously well off the mark...as a few owner posts on this forum have plainly illustrated can occur.

There are a lot of moving parts here. I've tried to stay current because half doors were introduced as a factory option not very long after I took delivery of my new Jeep. I missed out, and of course building the doors in a piecemeal manner is ridiculously expensive, so I'm taking the long view on how they may be made available to owners like myself.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I want to be able to drive down the highway with uppers on the doors and top closed. Then when i get to my destination, remove uppers and put top down. Thats the appeal.

Notnoway

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interestingly, I have seen several 2 door sets come up for sale in this forum and elsewhere, but they typically get snatched up quickly. Problem with selling rears only, is that 2-door owners can't use them and 4 door owners want a full set. Would only buy a set of four if I could get them at an amazingly low price....and we all know that's not gonna happen!
lowest i've seen was $2500 on all 4 in white in FL

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You also forgot the pants that zip off at the knee to make shorts...
I have a pair of those. I call them my Advanture Pants and I love them. I wheel in them all the time.

Beachy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
That's the plan, according to the Parts Manager at my dealer (we had a good convo on the subject.)

He suggested that Corporate is still hammering out the details of the order process, which won't be as straightforward as buying even a pricey factory lift kit. The doors, when purchased a la carte, have to be matched to the buyer's Jeep via the VIN. This creates a challenge in terms of color-matching. That in turn compels a decision on whether or not the doors will be allowed to be returned, or refused, if the color match is obviously well off the mark...as a few owner posts on this forum have plainly illustrated can occur.

There are a lot of moving parts here. I've tried to stay current because half doors were introduced as a factory option not very long after I took delivery of my new Jeep. I missed out, and of course building the doors in a piecemeal manner is ridiculously expensive, so I'm taking the long view on how they may be made available to owners like myself.
Same - they started offering that option after i got my jeep. I would love to have a set of the half doors! if you get traction- i want to know. I reached out the dealer but no response yet on getting an order and painted my color.

i'd probably buy some off someone and get them painted... that works also, but no one wants to ship- and pick up only is a far as hell drive!

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I loved them on my 2 door. As far as putting them on 4 door I am still on the fence.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I loved them on my 2 door. As far as putting them on 4 door I am still on the fence.
They're even better on a 4 door because the rear door really open up the back, as compared to the full doors which chop it up.

Half Doors = better Chi.
Sponsored