Sponsored

Had Plenty of Time to Think...

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Wow, guess I got lucky. I'm sure thing's are different now, I see the shortage's and delivery/availability of part's and service's every day. I ordered my Jeep late 9/21 and took delivery 11/21. I've been waiting for the newness to wear off (it hasn't) but 25k later the only issue has been a broken wire on the rear defroster that I plan on fixing myself once it get's into the 70's on a daily basis. I tried the warranty repair but but got jerked around. All set with that routine. 2.0, it's a go anywhere go cart 74% made in the U.S.A.

Jeep Wrangler JL Had Plenty of Time to Think... 20201129_155255a
Sponsored

dahacker

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TSX, RDX, 97 Miata, 22 JLUS
Buying a vehicle. Any. During this period of time is a horrible decision to carry. The only people buying right now should be those who do not have a vehicle and need one. In all honesty stay away from car purchasing for about a year or so if you can. I shouldn’t have to say this…but your getting raped buying a vehicle right now.
I wouldn't be so sure that auto manufacturers would ever return to the dealership new inventory levels of the past. They are enjoying gigantic profits with the tight inventory and with all of the ordering going on, getting the best out of the terrible franchise structure they are stuck in.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Don't let the door...

Maybe try a Ford Bronco?
Yeah! head on over to Ford! Ford's total mismanagement makes Jeep look stellar. I ordered a Bronco back in December and was told I was in good shape as I was one of the early orders for a 2022. 5 months later, it's looking like I'll get pushed tp 2023. Zero communication from Ford or my dealer. Just got a shrug and a laugh when I asked when I might get a VIN. Ordered my Wrangler and had a VIN 6 days later. We shall see.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Hopefully cancelling your order gets my second jeep (for my wife) done faster.....so thanks..

and by the way.... we chalk this up as a first world problem... no instant gratification on a factory order during a car and chip shortage
In all fairness to the OP, I think one of the main issues is that you had people put money down on an order in Oct or Nov when the ordering banks opened. Those people should have been first in line when production began. It's mainly that there are a lot of people waiting, that put money down back then, and they are seeing people walk into a dealership in February and get their Jeep built in 5 weeks. Unfortunately, WHAT you ordered is making a huge difference as is dealer allocations. Pick the right trim and magical combination of options with a dealer that has a large allocation and you're golden. Pick constrained items with a dealership with low allocation and many outstanding orders and you're screwed.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
I wouldn't be so sure that auto manufacturers would ever return to the dealership new inventory levels of the past. They are enjoying gigantic profits with the tight inventory and with all of the ordering going on, getting the best out of the terrible franchise structure they are stuck in.
Of course they will. When the stock market is high, people think it will always be high and vice versa. Same with real estate. I remember in 2006 when real estate was like it is today....people flocking to open houses and bidding up the price to ridiculous levels. People overpaying and taking stupid high mortgages because the value would just keep rising. Then....2 years later, the bottom fell out and houses sat on the market for a year or more. I bought my home in 2011 for $150K less than the original owner paid. This too shall pass. This model will never be sustainable as every single manufacturer would have to be in cahoots. Let's suppose Jeep chose to keep the lots empty and force people to order a Wrangler at MSRP to improve profits. Seeing this, Ford floods the lots with Broncos giving immediate availability and discounts. Jeep will lose a lot of customers that don't wanna pay MSRP and wait 5 months. Interest rates are heading up. Mortgage rates are already double what they were a year or two ago. Cheap money is slowly going away and auto prices have risen far far faster than salaries. We are ripe for a crash.

Sponsored

OP
OP

14jjr1

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Of course they will. When the stock market is high, people think it will always be high and vice versa. Same with real estate. I remember in 2006 when real estate was like it is today....people flocking to open houses and bidding up the price to ridiculous levels. People overpaying and taking stupid high mortgages because the value would just keep rising. Then....2 years later, the bottom fell out and houses sat on the market for a year or more. I bought my home in 2011 for $150K less than the original owner paid. This too shall pass. This model will never be sustainable as every single manufacturer would have to be in cahoots. Let's suppose Jeep chose to keep the lots empty and force people to order a Wrangler at MSRP to improve profits. Seeing this, Ford floods the lots with Broncos giving immediate availability and discounts. Jeep will lose a lot of customers that don't wanna pay MSRP and wait 5 months. Interest rates are heading up. Mortgage rates are already double what they were a year or two ago. Cheap money is slowly going away and auto prices have risen far far faster than salaries. We are ripe for a crash.
I am really curious to see what happens when the economy goes south and the folks who have taken on high dept recently for car payments well over MSRP and mortgages on overvalued properties.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I am really curious to see what happens when the economy goes south and the folks who have taken on high dept recently for car payments well over MSRP and mortgages on overvalued properties.
welp at least you’ve avoided high dept peril, so you have that going for you.

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
Funny. "Out of order". Sorry sir, we're out of Rocky Road right now but you just stand right there and hold everybody else up while we wait for the ingredients and make another tub of that in the back. Meanwhile, we pledge not to collect another dime until you're satisfied because that's how we maximize profit and stay afloat.

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

I recently ordered a new car from another manufacturer. I felt lucky to even get an allocation, I felt lucky to "only" pay MSRP, and 11 months later I felt lucky to even get the car.

By comparison, my JLUR order has been pretty drama-free and I expect to have it after a total of 3-4 months waiting. Even if it were longer, it was still much easier than my other purchase. Also, I was able to get it under invoice, which is icing on the cake.

I set my expectations when I ordered the Jeep. I'm sure I'll be happy once it arrives.

OP
OP

14jjr1

First Name
Lexi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Funny. "Out of order". Sorry sir, we're out of Rocky Road right now but you just stand right there and hold everybody else up while we wait for the ingredients and make another tub of that in the back. Meanwhile, we pledge not to collect another dime until you're satisfied because that's how we maximize profit and stay afloat.
"There's no line at Jeep Ice Cream Shoppe! Come on in, place your order in the bowl, and we'll grab them at random. You'll get your order when you get it. Consider yourself lucky. At Ford's Ice Cream, they won't even let you order."

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
All of this is right on the money.

I’ll add that the “system house” model of car dealership selling relies on having inventory on hand. The high-pressure, multiple-salesman-plus-“closer” process is designed to wear down the customer. The psychological model is based on the same modeling as “good-cop-bad-cop” interrogation techniques. People tire out and start to help argue themselves into the sale just to get the process over with. Once they’re home with the new Jeep, and the trusted old vehicle is gone, they’re reluctant to reengage the dealer to unwind the deal. Most won’t, so the sale sticks — but this sales model doesn’t work if the customer can just call to cancel the deposit check the next morning.

Inflation at 10+%, a softening economy, a softening stock market, and soaring interest rates will all act to slow demand. At the same time, car manufacturers and dealers have had the best two years they’ve ever had, so dealers are feeling flush with cash, and they’re tired of not being able to take advantage of impulse buyers. They’ll keep ordering until there’s ample standing inventory. And when their ordering slows, the manufacturers will start back in on the free flooring, advertising support, rebates, and other incentives to increase ordering.

Unless we end up in a war, we can count on dealer inventory steadily increasing over the next couple years. At least.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I personally thank you for not purchasing a jeep. You lack the attitude and love for life that I associate with jeep owners.
Well, off to party some more at jeep beach.... cheers to your next karenmobile ❤

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I would like to thank Stellantis/Jeep for stopping me from making an expensive mistake. I attempted to pay nearly $45,000 for a potentially unreliable vehicle, with a service network with a horrible reputation, that I don't really need.

I ordered over 5 months ago and there is still no indication when/if it will ever get built. Had the vehicle been built in a timely manner, and had I had the opportunity to accept delivery sometime before May or June, I would have eagerly taken a few days off to complete the purchase and drive it home. I was kind of looking forward to the whole process.

But 5+ months of seeing orders built totally out of order, or built and left to sit in a parking lot for weeks or months, combined with Jeep's lack of honest communication with so many others here, has forced me to take a long time to reconsider this purchase.

I will not be buying a Wrangler. I will keep my current vehicle and save the $45k, registration fees, and insurance premiums. I will also not buy from Stellantis/Jeep in the future, as I now see how they operate. Thank you, Stellantis, for this lesson.
Don't settle for mediocracy. We all shouldn't.
Sponsored