Sponsored

Had my steering damper replaced today.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Agree this is weird. My little dealership here has multiple of them.
yeah I thought so too, but can't see there inventory. They say they can't do it, it is what it is... I'm on the list. BS to me, but not my choice
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me that I don't want anyone to touch my vehicle or even replace it since I'm not having any issues?
Same here. It's not going to steer like a sports car. I can drive 75mph with one hand and no worries. It does have some play but I don't notice it. If it gets worse then I'll have them replace the damper. Who knows, in two months we may find out the new damper fails and we all might as well buy after-market dampers.

OP
OP
Sand Flea

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
The damper is but one part.
The new track bar is the other part.

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine goes in tomorrow.
I haven’t had any issues yet.
I have a 18 Jlur that I bought last March. If i have any issues i will buy a fox adjustable one next.

Sponsored

landshark99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was done this week looks to be correctly installed

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just got call from dealer - part is in. Took 1 week.

gonavy34

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
For those not having issues...number of reason why that may be...weather probably one. Read the recall and it talks about how temps lower than 40 help create the situation (alongside the 55 mph)...so for SoCal livers such as myself, you might NEVER see this issue...but do you want to have it happen that one time you drive to Colorado in the winter?

I 'think' you can't avoid having it done if you take in your car to a dealership and they have replacement available...Federal Recalls work that way...plus ealer has to protect themselves from liability.

Avoid at your own risk...don't understand the downside.

Anyway - getting mine done tomorrow morning - told to plan for 2 hours. Cheers!

OP
OP
Sand Flea

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Same thing happened to me. I went back and they rotated it. It took 5 minutes to fix.
Thing to ask...
Did driving it incorrectly installed damage the part?
Are the bolts torque to yield?
If so, you are not in a good place.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I had mine replaced on Monday, and I didn't think I really had much play in my steering. At least, I wasn't worried about it. But damn this new damper makes the steering tight:like: I was pleasantly surprised to be honest.

jlc64uk

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2021 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Assistant Principal
Vehicle Showcase
Called dealer a couple of weeks ago and said they had the parts. Made appointment and took it in on Tuesday afternoon to drop it off and planned to pick it up on Wednesday after work. Told me that the loaner vehicle wasn't back yet but if I had time the tech was free and could do it while I waited. Asked how long and told me 30 minutes. Said sure and they were done and correctly installed within 25 minutes. Unbelievable and exceptional based on what I'm seeing here.

vstammer1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Bought my 2018 right around July 4th of this year (2019) and surprised when I saw the recall notice appear for mine a few weeks later. I called today and was told the part needed to be ordered and that could take 1-3 weeks...we'll see. I currently have not had any complaints, especially compared to our 2017 JK 2 door Wrangler which really is a little more squirrely by its nature. Having owned 5 jeeps going back to my old CJ-7, I understand what I am driving and think I have very realistic expectations. But I also think with the advancements in technology and given the price we pay for these vehicles now maybe they should behave better!

toeshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yes it stays in installation if installed incorrectly and vehicle driven then a “new” unit must installed with new bolts.
Do you know where that’s written? I had mine done on Friday and was in a rush so didn’t check it until later in the day and of course it was installed incorrectly. I called the service manager and he insisted that it was correct regardless of what the sticker indicated. I mentioned the bulge with green dot was facing up and he told me he trusted his techs over “what I read on the internet.” So I have a case open with Jeep Cares but if there’s any question, I want a new damper. Oh, and they put 6 quarts of oil vs 5 and the service manager told me I was wrong about that too.
Sponsored