Sponsored

Had a great 6 months 14k miles - Are the spark plugs easy to replace myself?

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Driving 14k miles so far since March. I've done 3 oil changes so far. I know I'll have to change the spark plugs in another 6 months and I want to be prepared.

Are they easy to do myself or should I just pay the big bucks at the dealership? And help videos or diagrams will help. I searched and looked into it seems to be nothing other than a mention out there.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
14K miles and thinking about changing spark plugs? I think the maintenance schedule says 100,000 miles.
I don't think he's talking about the 3.6. I've heard that the 2.0 requires it much more often.

OP, usually, the plugs on inline 4 cylinder engines are pretty easy to access. I'm not sure if the turbo or intake plumbing might get in the way, but I'd think it won't be too hard to get to them.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don't think he's talking about the 3.6. I've heard that the 2.0 requires it much more often.

OP, usually, the plugs on inline 4 cylinder engines are pretty easy to access. I'm not sure if the turbo or intake plumbing might get in the way, but I'd think it won't be too hard to get to them.
According to the Owners Manual it is 3 years or 30K miles, whichever comes first, for replacing spark plugs in the 2.0. So if the OP continues to rack up the miles at the same rate his/her estimate of another 6 months seems kind of spot on. I am also interested in hearing about how easy/hard it is to replace the plugs - modern engines and placement in the engine bay have certainly made what used to be an easy routine maintenance process become rather difficult.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Should be easy, DOHC , probably pull the coil pack and remove/repace plugs, unless manifolds are in the way but doubtful on a 4 cylinder.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I should have also added that it is a 2.0. I don't want to spend $500 bucks if I can do it myself. I'll keep looking. Thanks for checking folks!

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Pull the modesty cover and see how hard it would be to access the plugs.

I just did 16 iridiums on my Hemi Overland, a couple hours and beers, about a 2 level on the beer meter.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I think I looked quick when I first got the Jeep and remember thinking how much easier it’ll be on this motor vs my old jk with the 3.6. That was ridiculous all the work you had to do for a spark plug replacement.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the 3.6 you have to remove the intake, an extra beer is required :)

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Driving 14k miles so far since March. I've done 3 oil changes so far. I know I'll have to change the spark plugs in another 6 months and I want to be prepared.

Are they easy to do myself or should I just pay the big bucks at the dealership? And help videos or diagrams will help. I searched and looked into it seems to be nothing other than a mention out there.

Yea, I'd suspect they may be fairly easy to swap out, but having said that -- those are good for 100K so wouldn't bother just replacing them with 14K on the ticker. No need to.

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Yea, I'd suspect they may be fairly easy to swap out, but having said that -- those are good for 100K so wouldn't bother just replacing them with 14K on the ticker. No need to.
Apparently they aren't good for 100K...
Sponsored