Sponsored

Had a great 6 months 14k miles - Are the spark plugs easy to replace myself?

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently they aren't good for 100K...
lol.. not surprised... Hate to say it, FCA cheaped out in a lot of areas on this vehicle. Love mine, but all about the bean counters in the end.
Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
This is the 2.0l section so Iā€™m not sure why people are asking about the 3.6l here.

Anyways, 60k interval for 2.0l and 100k for 3.6l for spark plugs. Your manual will have both listed. Early manuals had the wrong interval listed, but Jeep issued a corrected maintenance schedule.

Changing the spark plugs on either engine at 14k miles is a waste of money. I personally wouldnā€™t pay $500 to change 4 spark plugs either, although I have no clue what FCA says book time is to replace them.

http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2018/2018E-All-New-Wrangler-UG-3rd.pdf

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
This is the 2.0l section so Iā€™m not sure why people are asking about the 3.6l here.

Anyways, 60k interval for 2.0l and 100k for 3.6l for spark plugs. Your manual will have both listed. Early manuals had the wrong interval listed, but Jeep issued a corrected maintenance schedule.

Changing the spark plugs on either engine at 14k miles is a waste of money. I personally wouldnā€™t pay $500 to change 4 spark plugs either, although I have no clue what FCA says book time is to replace them.

http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2018/2018E-All-New-Wrangler-UG-3rd.pdf
I'm going to wait for the interval to change. At the rate I'm going it might be sooner than 6 years, but definitely at 60k. My JL is an earlier 2018 2.0 - no issues so far. The only issue I see is someone trying to take my $500 for 4 plugs.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I'm going to wait for the interval to change. At the rate I'm going it might be sooner than 6 years, but definitely at 60k. My JL is an earlier 2018 2.0 - no issues so far. The only issue I see is someone trying to take my $500 for 4 plugs.
Take the modesty cover off the top of the engine and post a pic, I am not familiar with the 2.0 but if it is like the 2.4 turbo they used to make, it is no big deal to change the plugs, on the PT you removed 5 bolts to take the upper intake off and voila,

Quaker Hill 427.jpg

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Take the modesty cover off the top of the engine and post a pic, I am not familiar with the 2.0 but if it is like the 2.4 turbo they used to make, it is no big deal to change the plugs, on the PT you removed 5 bolts to take the upper intake off and voila,

Quaker Hill 427.jpg
Hmmm... :movember:

2.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
lol.. not surprised... Hate to say it, FCA cheaped out in a lot of areas on this vehicle. Love mine, but all about the bean counters in the end.
If it was all about the bean counters, we wouldn't have a folding windshield. DI turbo engines with high compression are hard on spark plugs. I'm actually surprised they go 60k.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
That dont look bad, pull the coil off the plug, ( I assume those red inserts are the location of the plug where the coil goes) and remove/replace the plugs. One beer job probably :)

people need not to be scared and give it a shot.

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
InkedIMG_1005_LI.jpg

Just installed my TurboSmart BOV and here's all the plugs. Looks pretty easy access aside the middle one which is slightly obstructed by an air hose (fastener) and MAYBE you have to remove two additional connectors to clear more space (marked in red). If not, easy job.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
InkedIMG_1005_LI.jpg

Just installed my TurboSmart BOV and here's all the plugs. Looks pretty easy access aside the middle one which is slightly obstructed by an air hose (fastener) and MAYBE you have to remove two additional connectors to clear more space (marked in red). If not, easy job.
Noticed the same thing when installing and uninstalling my TurboSmart plumb back valve, doesn't look too terrible... Not to get the thread off topic, but how do you like the new valve? Pretty sure I ended up getting a bad one. No matter what I did it wasn't playing nice with my Jeep. It wasn't building boost properly, RPMs were hanging so low my auto stop/start light came on, and it through a CEL a couple days later after I tried disconnecting my battery to reset my Jeep's ECU. Stock valve works perfectly fine still though.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noticed the same thing when installing and uninstalling my TurboSmart plumb back valve, doesn't look too terrible... Not to get the thread off topic, but how do you like the new valve? Pretty sure I ended up getting a bad one. No matter what I did it wasn't playing nice with my Jeep. It wasn't building boost properly, RPMs were hanging so low my auto stop/start light came on, and it through a CEL a couple days later after I tried disconnecting my battery to reset my Jeep's ECU. Stock valve works perfectly fine still though.
I think the plug change should be pretty easy honestly. I was about to change them until I saw the corrected maintenance schedule. The only thing I can't find is the specs for the plugs so I can look into other brands outside Mopar. I may just pull a plug and see if there's any identifiers.

And no issues whatsoever on the new BOV for me. I don't notice that much of a difference though. Looks like you got a bad one it seems. I had no hiccups on start up after install, took a short drive and she's been fine since then.

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0T
I think the plug change should be pretty easy honestly. I was about to change them until I saw the corrected maintenance schedule. The only thing I can't find is the specs for the plugs so I can look into other brands outside Mopar. I may just pull a plug and see if there's any identifiers.

And no issues whatsoever on the new BOV for me. I don't notice that much of a difference though. Looks like you got a bad one it seems. I had no hiccups on start up after install, took a short drive and she's been fine since then.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking sadly. The only other "issues" I've heard of with them so far is that people want the dual port to be louder. Outside of that I haven't seen anyone else with similar issues. Must have installed and uninstalled it 3 or 4 times... At least if I get a new one down the line I'll know what I'm doing. :LOL:

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking sadly. The only other "issues" I've heard of with them so far is that people want the dual port to be louder. Outside of that I haven't seen anyone else with similar issues. Must have installed and uninstalled it 3 or 4 times... At least if I get a new one down the line I'll know what I'm doing. :LOL:
Spoke too soon. I think my Plumback crapped out, driving back on a 2hr drive and basically felt like I had no turbo when I was flooring it. Absolutely no pep, took 10+ seconds to go up 10mph at any speed. Immediately swapped back to factory while the engine was still hot and took a spirited drive, good as new and immediate response.

And just to stay on topic, I also checked to see if those connectors needed to come out - I highly doubt it to replace the plugs. ALSO, I snapped a small bit of the tab on one of them VERY easily just trying to disconnect one of the wires. Either very cheap plastic or the heat cycles of a full year of driving made them very brittle so be very careful.
Sponsored