First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
Guy walked into a service dept. with a blind mechanic.

He left shortly after, the mechanic couldn't see anything wrong with it.
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Why does something dumb happen at the dealership every time, yet they act like it’s all under control. Here’s mine from today, interested in what else you have heard that will make us laugh...make it a joke.

Guy walks into a service department...associate opens the hood, looks in the engine and says “yep, your steering damper is on backwards”. I had my “he stayed in a holiday inn express” moment. I didn’t even know what to say I guess there’s more than one way to look at something under the Jeep.
My rear windshield wiper motor was installed upside down as well , they fixed it but it was kind of embarrassing , don't they have quality control people at Chrysler ? Today my front seat latch broke off and it felt like it as strong as potato chip , I just can not believe it. More of these issues and I am off to an asylum.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Earlier this year I took my 2018 JKUR Recon with 6,000 miles to the only Jeep dealer we have in town for them to take a look at a squeaky driver seat, and a loud knocking sound coming from the passenger side A-pillar.

I had bought the Jeep at my prior Jeep dealership in California, it had a 2” Mopar lift, 35” tires and a warn winch mounted on the front. This was the 2nd or 3rd attempt to have them take a look at the Jeep. Next thing I know a disheveled service manager and one of the service techs in greasy coveralls are walking around my Jeep looking at it like it just landed from Mars.

The manager bends down, points at one of the front shocks and mutters “that’s not a factory lift!” “Yes it is; it says Mopar right on the struts” I reply. He squints trying to read the Mopar logo stamped on the shock. Then his accomplice says “You didn’t buy this Jeep here, did you?” I respond “No I didn’t. I bought it at my prior dealership when I lived in Los Angeles. But I don’t see what that has anything to do with anything.” The manager jumps in “So you are not from here.” “Correct” I reply, “I moved here 18 months ago”. He adds “But you don’t live here...”. At that point I asked them to give me keys back and open the service bay door; I’m done.

As I get in the Jeep and start the Jeep the manager comes up to my window and says “So what is this noise you are talking about?” I simply drove away.

That’s the type of customer service one gets from Jeep around after you drop 50 Grand for on one of their products.

This was the most expensive of eight Wranglers I’ve owned, and came with the crummiest assembly quality
nc_oc=AQnb_6ElTNCL08HUfeDqjlEO10BjI1Jj1zHqIZsNG2nqYzJXqBrkMXov8SxDaRG7EQ4&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQlcGKw02EGQfqX_j_LoMeHzFPa0v4N00joiqXojVjwSbbJzwVSLuKodZkEW2HtqqR8&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

nc_oc=AQlMPqYjXe0yfPyMAcwArji-xPB9iYkK61dn8fn8M7ZLRMGAjtD-z3HYERm7OLJAxXU&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
Have you checked the Jeeps history? Was it in an accident and that could be a repair shops poor work?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked the Jeeps history? Was it in an accident and that could be a repair shops poor work?
It was brand-spanking new when I bought it. Apparently it was routine for the old Toledo plant to build a $52,000 JK that was put together like cr-p, even after having been doing for only 12 years...

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
It was brand-spanking new when I bought it. Apparently it was routine for the old Toledo plant to build a $52,000 JK that was put together like cr-p, even after having been doing for only 12 years...
I hear you, my JL wasn't exactly in the best shape when I picked it up trust me I feel your pain.

And dealership service dept. folks are the worst(not all, most) to deal with. Half the time i feel like yelling at them "DONT YOU FIX CARS FOR A LIVING??!" as they appear totally dumbfounded over the simplest of things.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Not sure about other states, but in CA a NEW Jeep can be in an accident before the buyer takes delivery (such as sometimes happens taking them off a transport) and as long as they can fix it for (I believe - didn't go back to my records) less than $750 they don't have to document it for the buyer. So what appears to be a nice, new, Jeep on the dealer's lot can actually be a nice, new, damaged-and-repaired Jeep on their lot.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I did buy the JK in California, so who knows.

Having said that, squeaky driver seats are a recurring issue with JKs --not that the dumb Jeep dealer would know.

Tyderian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0 Turbo
Clubs

Guys calls his dealership after over a month, thinking they were going to call him to tell him his part was in, and schedule a time for service. Dealership says where have you been, the part has been here for 3 weeks.

When he finally brings the Jeep in for service, he's given a loaner. Is it equal to the 18 JLU Sahara he is dropping off? Nope. Dealership has a fleet of ancient Compass' for loaners.

I frickin hate dealerships.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
guy comes in the service center and ask to check out the steering issue on his jl. 5 minutes later, the service guy said, "i cant replicate or duplicate the steering issue, so their no issue to fix."

Sponsored

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
Guy go in for service and ask then to check is JK parking break. I park in a lite slope he say’s and the Jeep is moving. I am worried he say’s. I have kids, I wound’t want then to get hurt. Fifteen minute later the mechanic come back and said it all-right, the hand brake is just find....!. It was the last time I was there.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
I will say the service department has been very good at Champion Jeep in Athens, AL.

Alexander Jeep in Albertville, AL has gotten new management and the service department is 100% better.

I am disappointed the FCA hasn’t released a fix for the add on after purchase of the Wrangler Mopar LED fender lights. How can TazerJL crack the code but FCA cannot or will not release the fix.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Took mine in for it's first oil change and the damper service thingy, the service guy said we recommend also recommend wheel rotation, I said that's ok I just put on the winters last week, he said well I'm just saying a rotation is recommended.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Took mine in for it's first oil change and the damper service thingy, the service guy said we recommend also recommend wheel rotation, I said that's ok I just put on the winters last week, he said well I'm just saying a rotation is recommended.
If you didn’t already know, they read off a card.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Guy walks into Service Department. Hands tech recall letter. Tech looks at the letter, then the guy, then the letter again, then the guy again and asks "So we're doing the recall, too?"

Guy replies: "That better be the only thing you're doing today on this Jeep."

I hate service departments. I've dealt with only one guy who hand handle both the customer and technical side of it at my dealer. Granted, I only go in for recalls, TSB, or warranty issues. I like him, but the rest of the crew are your typical run of the mill dealership tech jokes.

It's sad, I've worked with former mechanics who quit to work at my current place as an industrial maintenance tech. 2 Toyota, a Subaru, and a BMW. They each told me the same thing: It pays the lowest of the trades, the benefits suck, There is no opportunity for advancement (even with all of your certs) so it's technically a dead end job, and the management always treat you terribly even though you're the one doing most of the work. It's likely this is why they can't keep good techs.

Now, if Auto companies could figure out how to get around the "liabilities" and maybe roll a performance shop into their business model, offering aftermarket parts and "factory install" with guys who actually know what they're doing, for a fair price... so, for example, I could get a Rock Krawler kit installed and covered under warranty with my dealer, They could easily make money hand over fist. I've seen a few dealers leaning into this but sadly they're all in other markets.
Sponsored