First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport on 33s w/LSD, 2020 Sahara
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding those who hate on California - I’m not one of them. It is part of the US. I spent 30 years in the US Army; my patriotism isn’t restricted to certain states. I love my country and I love California.

With that said...in 2017 it had the second highest number of gun fatalities, just behind TX (which I also love). I’m not big on “per capita” rates; I look at total numbers. Presumably, regardless of the number of citizens, draconian gun laws should result in a remarkably low fatality rate, REGARDLESS of population. Why? Because the state cannot control the number of state citizens, but through legislation it CAN control the number of guns.

SaltyJLUR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding those who hate on California - I’m not one of them. It is part of the US. I spent 30 years in the US Army; my patriotism isn’t restricted to certain states. I love my country and I love California.

With that said...in 2017 it had the second highest number of gun fatalities, just behind TX (which I also love). I’m not big on “per capita” rates; I look at total numbers. Presumably, regardless of the number of citizens, draconian gun laws should result in a remarkably low fatality rate, REGARDLESS of population. Why? Because the state cannot control the number of state citizens, but through legislation it CAN control the number of guns.
Respectfully (to those who may disagree), I've never understood how anyone with a military or law enforcement background can advocate for gun control. This country, our Constitution, and our Bill of Rights are founded on one simple concept: Rebellion against tyranny. The purpose of the military and law enforcement is to protect and preserve the rights and safety of Americans. But Officials here in California are openly working to undermine the Constitution and grow the government, including the people's dependence on the government.

To enact legislation to control guns is not really about guns. It's about controlling the masses of people who may rise up against the government in rebellion. To control a persons ability to rise up and protect themselves is antithetical to the oath military and LE personnel swore and the years they spend serving the people of this country.

If they want to control gun violence, then punish those who break the law. Don't penalize the masses of law abiding citizens. But then again that would be too logical. We need to look around and open our eyes to what our elected leaders are doing to us. Open borders, sanctuary cities, the early release of felons from prison, local governments defunding police....if there is ever a time in our lifetimes where the second amendment were relevant, that time is now.

OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Respectfully (to those who may disagree), I've never understood how anyone with a military or law enforcement background can advocate for gun control. This country, our Constitution, and our Bill of Rights are founded on one simple concept: Rebellion against tyranny. The purpose of the military and law enforcement is to protect and preserve the rights and safety of Americans. But Officials here in California are openly working to undermine the Constitution and grow the government, including the people's dependence on the government.

To enact legislation to control guns is not really about guns. It's about controlling the masses of people who may rise up against the government in rebellion. To control a persons ability to rise up and protect themselves is antithetical to the oath military and LE personnel swore and the years they spend serving the people of this country.

If they want to control gun violence, then punish those who break the law. Don't penalize the masses of law abiding citizens. But then again that would be too logical. We need to look around and open our eyes to what our elected leaders are doing to us. Open borders, sanctuary cities, the early release of felons from prison, local governments defunding police....if there is ever a time in our lifetimes where the second amendment were relevant, that time is now.
Spot on!!!

ChadT

First Name
CHAD
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR OCEAN BLUE 3.6L, 8 SPEED / 2020 JLR STING GRAY 3.6L,8 SPEED/ 2004 TJ RUBICON, LIGHT KHAKI METALLIC/1972 CJ5 RENEGADE. RENEGADE ORANGE, 304 V8 3 SPEED
Vehicle Showcase

Gun control isn't and never has been about safety but rather a means to an end justified with "for the children"

As far as not understanding how law enforcement and anyone in the military could be for gun control I will just say that some of the biggest freedom hating liberals I have ever been around were in my time in the Marine Corps and don't even get me started on many of the senior officers...

OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Gun control isn't and never has been about safety but rather a means to an end justified with "for the children"

Chad, thanks for your service, brother!

As far as not understanding how law enforcement and anyone in the military could be for gun control I will just say that some of the biggest freedom hating liberals I have ever been around were in my time in the Marine Corps and don't even get me started on many of the senior officers...
As that poster was replying to my post, and I’m a retired Army senior NCO, I’m not sure why he thinks I’m “for gun control.” I’m for reasonable legislation that doesn’t infringe on the 2d Amendment, legislation that takes into account very basic safety standards, such as required, minimal training.

ChadT

First Name
CHAD
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR OCEAN BLUE 3.6L, 8 SPEED / 2020 JLR STING GRAY 3.6L,8 SPEED/ 2004 TJ RUBICON, LIGHT KHAKI METALLIC/1972 CJ5 RENEGADE. RENEGADE ORANGE, 304 V8 3 SPEED
Vehicle Showcase
As that poster was replying to my post, and I’m a retired Army senior NCO, I’m not sure why he thinks I’m “for gun control.” I’m for reasonable legislation that doesn’t infringe on the 2d Amendment, legislation that takes into account very basic safety standards, such as required, minimal training.
No worries, I didn't take your post that way at all. Figured I would let him in on the secret that the .mil isn't like the picture he may have had in his mind about it being all red blooded conservative Americans that have his best interests in mind when it comes to freedoms

Spank

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I’m for reasonable legislation that doesn’t infringe on the 2d Amendment, legislation that takes into account very basic safety standards, such as required, minimal training.
I agree completely. I've never quite understood the idea of background checks and required training for firearms necessarily falling into a stigmatized category of gun control. Such things aren't really controlling said firearms so much as making sure you, the owner, actually have better control of them. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Open borders, sanctuary cities, the early release of felons from prison, local governments defunding police....if there is ever a time in our lifetimes where the second amendment were relevant, that time is now.
I really hope recent events get more people to open their eyes and see just how important it is for citizens to have control of their government, not the other way around. It's incredible how many people think the role of government has always been to know what's best for you without your consent.

Abramovich

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S
Although I believe every gun owner SHOULD be trained, I would never wish that training be a mandated requirement to own a firearm.

When folks are okay that government mandated training is required before exercising their 1st amendment right, we can talk. Not before. That usually shuts folks up.

Government mandated training normally includes WHO can perform the training, WHEN and WHERE is can be performed, and WHAT the training includes. All of these parameters can easily be used to make training harder or more expensive to get. "shall not be infringed"...

I am a long-time firearms Instructor in Arizona.

KNOW BETTER TRAINING

JimLee

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

I hate California, but I agree, it belongs to Americans. We should drive the terrorists that run it into the ocean and reclaim the land.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics