Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Re the Diesel - just be sure no one else ever fuels your truck. Our diesel BMW has been fed gas twice and it's an expense of $2k minimum, $20k max to fix.
C, out of curiosity, under what circumstances are others filling your tank for you? Other than at new vehicle delivery, no one (unrelated to me) has filled my tank for about 40 years. Are we talking friends/family, or a true 3rd party?
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I can one up that one. Once not so long ago, I pulled into quick lube shop to do an oil change on a 2005 Dodge Caravan (the vehicle before the 2019 JL). They checked and filled all the fluids. Well the brainiacs found a way to add transmission fluid to the brake reservoir. I didn't know anything was amiss until about a few hundred miles later when the brake system failed. Luckily, I kept my wits and used the parking brake to stop.

Of course they [the lube shop] denied everything. Wouldn't pay a dime. The work order they filled out indicated checked and filled but had no notes about with what. They claim their techs are trained on what to put where.

Well I sure as hell didn't put anything in it. Cost me over $3.5K to have nearly the entire brake system replaced.

Insult added to injury a few days later, a distracted 16 year old on his phone pulled out into traffic without looking and totalled both our vehicles. If I hadn't swerved I would likely have killed him. I could have T-Boned him at 40 mph. Luckily no one was injured, the minivan did it's job and absorbed the side impact. But all this happened just after the expensive brake system repair.

He was determined to be 100% at fault and the insurance payout was just enough of a down payment on my JL Sport.

So even though all turned out OK in the end, the moral of the story is DON'T let anyone put fluids (of any type) in things you care about. Only bad things will likely result.

Jay

Last edited:

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I just do not understand the fascination with diesels myself. The emissions systems are way too complex and the mileage advantage largely gone as is the longevity. There was a time, I see it having passed. I never would choose a diesel over a manual assuming the gas engine wasn't a total train wreck. The 3.6 seems well proven, plenty powerful, especially in a 2 door and you can get it with a manual for thousands less than a diesel automatic. Win-win.

My wife loves her 2 dr manual trans Jeep. It is a great little set up. Of course the diesel was never a consideration in my case anyway. 3.6 auto would have been the second choice.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
C, out of curiosity, under what circumstances are others filling your tank for you? Other than at new vehicle delivery, no one (unrelated to me) has filled my tank for about 40 years. Are we talking friends/family, or a true 3rd party?
If you live in Oregon - or New Jersey - it is against the law for you to pump your own gas! I had the same thing happen to me when I pulled into a Chevron in Burns, Oregon with my diesel dually...cute young lady ran out and stuck the gas nozzle into my truck. I managed to stop her before she actually pumped any gas.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36875715/oregonians-allowed-pump-gas/

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I am a millennial, an older one and prefer manuals So do most other millennials I know who like cars. All the old folks I know don't like manuals and refuse to have one. So I always thought those memes are a bit ironic.
Same. I brought this up in another Jeep group and the response from a bunch of boomers was "lol u butthurt millenial"... and their post history reveals they ask all sorts of basic questions and barely grasp mechanical concepts. Different strokes, I guess?

TL;DR: Both transmissions are fantastic.
I've driven stick daily, and all over the place since 2003. both of my TJ's. I test drove a manual JLU and liked the shift throws but wasn't crazy about the clutch engagement. I ordered it anyway. My experience with the clutch recall last summer kinda soured me on it. While it was at the dealer, I had a Grand Cherokee with the 8spd Auto. I daily drove that for a month. It was smooth, quiet, shifting was barely noticeable and power/ torque application was even and smooth. That transmission is fantastic. Diesel, Hybrid, and Hemi powerplants packaged with the 8HP75 plus some minor knee and ankle pains in my left foot had me doing math, and seriously thinking about the prospect of trading into one of those options. Getting more seat time in my Jeep and hearing some of the Auto Jeeps are getting what is basically cruise control for crawling added to that. But the cash out cost was still a little high for me, even with the Market being kinda crazy for anything 4wd.
Last week I got the software update that accompanied the clutch recall (finally) and let me tell you- it's 100% improvement. Power and torque application seems smoother. Clutch engagement feels much better, in that it seems to have a better engagement (less slip) when taking off from a stop/ in between gears. This made this transmission feel a little bit closer to the power/torque of my TJ's and I can't wait to feel it out on the trail.

That said: I'm still doing math occasionally, and would consider the auto with a diesel/ hybrid/ Hemi for my "next Jeep". But if it was only the 3.6? Pass. The trade off just isn't there for me. I need something more interesting to move to an auto. The additional power/torque of any of those newer powerplants and systems would be enough to make the switch.

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I can’t wait to trade my manual 2020 Sahara in for an 8spd. I love my Sahara, but four visits to the shop between recalls and slipping and burning, with finally a new clutch under warranty sealed the deal.

The stick is so boring on the Highway- downshifting to fourth if you wanna pass anyone. Also, I tow a small camper, and reverse is really high on the stick- it’s annoying as can be in reverse.
Get the diesel. Torque!

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
I daily drive a 2018 v6 manual jl and love it. I also use it to pull a trailer. A jayco jayflight. Totally adequate . If you want to use your jl to pull a trailer. Pick the engine first. Then the trans. If only the diesel was available with a manual...

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Drive a VW TDI with a six speed… and get 50mpg… and it’s fun to drive…

then you’ll understand.
Doubt it... traded a Golf R for the Rubicon. Pretty sure that was a LOT more fun than a TDI... Did 30 mpg and WAY faster.

Have a 7.3 gas super duty on order. The $10k premium for the diesel is absurd... Same with the premium for an eco diesel in a Jeep. Too much money for too much hassle and not near enough "benefit" IMO.

The 5.9 common rail in the Dodge 3rd gen trucks I had made sense. Way better power, economy and longevity without the emissions issues in todays versions. Oh, and available with a manual :) So much for "progress"...

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I can’t wait to trade my manual 2020 Sahara in for an 8spd. I love my Sahara, but four visits to the shop between recalls and slipping and burning, with finally a new clutch under warranty sealed the deal.

The stick is so boring on the Highway- downshifting to fourth if you wanna pass anyone. Also, I tow a small camper, and reverse is really high on the stick- it’s annoying as can be in reverse.
Get the diesel. Torque!
The stick works WAY better with the Rubicon gearing. Tons of reports of the 3.45 being a poor match.

I find the "so boring" comment ironic. So doing nothing but pressing down the gas is less boring than changing gears up and down to get the performance you need form the vehicle? Seems a bit backwards....

Ryparks

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Sahara
The stick works WAY better with the Rubicon gearing. Tons of reports of the 3.45 being a poor match.

I find the "so boring" comment ironic. So doing nothing but pressing down the gas is less boring than changing gears up and down to get the performance you need form the vehicle? Seems a bit backwards....
Sure. Maybe boring isn’t the right word. Weak? How’s that for you? I know for me downshifting to 4th because 5th and 6th feel useless isn’t always a fun kind of excitement when it’s just trying to keep 70mph on the 5. But yeah, it’s fun shifting around on the trails and flat roads.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Sadly it was my wife once, and my son's friend the next time. BMW has a mis-fueling preventer - but in our case they simply don't work. I would guess that they are all similar across brands. #notFoolProof

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Sure. Maybe boring isn’t the right word. Weak? How’s that for you? I know for me downshifting to 4th because 5th and 6th feel useless isn’t always a fun kind of excitement when it’s just trying to keep 70mph on the 5. But yeah, it’s fun shifting around on the trails and flat roads.
As mentioned, not an issue at all with the correct final ratio's... Mine holds 70 easy in 6th at 6000 ft altitude on the rolling foothills of western CO.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
One more vote for the 3.6 engine = no direct injection! that means no high pressure fuel pumps, no carbon cleaning of the intake valves, and a huge reduction in lifetime maintenance costs.
Sponsored