Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

Errick

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2020 Wrangler JL, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
The new auto trans is a gem. I’ve got the same motor/trans in my Ram and love it. Have the auto in my JL and love it as well. I too used to be manual only but the 8 speed auto is so darn good i don’t miss a stick at ALL..
Got the same setup in my JGC
The new auto trans is a gem. I’ve got the same motor/trans in my Ram and love it. Have the auto in my JL and love it as well. I too used to be manual only but the 8 speed auto is so darn good i don’t miss a stick at ALL..
Same setup as my 2014 JGC. I love the manual too but this new auto is the cherry without the pits!
Sponsored

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I agree with you here. Reverse sucks. It is probably the only gear I've ever stalled in. Backing into an uphill driveway.. yea..
As mentioned in my earlier post. Had pleasure of using reverse in 4Lo and the gearing seemed really great. Actually felt too slow on flats. Felt comfortingly low in the tight steep sections... which was what I needed. Again, coming from 4.10s.

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
I had a 2019 2 door Rubicon with a manual and the got a 2020 Rubicon JLU with the diesel. I really did like the engine and tranny combo, but always kept thinking about that 2 door manual. When Jeep announced the diesel Gladiator I ordered one in the Rubicon trim and drove it for a few months, but kept thinking about that 2 door manual. Now I am driving a 2021 2 door manual Rubicon and couldn’t be happier with my decision. I do miss the mpg advantage of the diesel as my Rubicon on 35s with a 2 inch lift gets absolutely abysmal fuel economy compared to the 2 diesels I had (the Gladiator was rolling on 35s as well and got about 9 mpg better average fuel economy, the JLU was on 33s and got about 11 mpg better than I am getting now). BUT, I wouldn’t go back to the diesel over a 2 door manual again, the 2 door manual is so much more enjoyable to drive. That and I’ve read horror stories of having to remove the body just to replace the turbo on the Gladiator and I was having some regen issues with the Gladiator (never had any in the JLU diesel for the time I had it). I enjoy having the least mechanically sophisticated Jeep they offer for when I go to the very northern point of the UP. If my diesels had trouble when I was up there, no one would be able to help me and it would wind up being a huge pain to get things fixed.

Sponsored

i2canoe

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2021
Personally, having driven a diesel truck for years... after a bit, you don't even think about it, and the only time your mind even differentiates what you're driving is at the pump.

A manual is a constant engagement, every single time you drive it.

I'd say the manual is going to give you more active enjoyment per drive than the automatic, if you love manuals and hate automatics.

I think the complaints about the 6 speed are overblown, but that said the 8 speed is really well regarded as a great transmission, so the manual doesn't compare as favorably as it would have in the past.
Love manuals.... I have a 2012 and the transmission is wonderful.. I'm waiting a 2021 also a standard tranny - hope it is every bit was great. .. don't think I would ever pay "extra" to have an automatic ... boring!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I really, really, enjoy a manual transmission. Especially on sports cars. My TJ is a manual, it is on one tons and supercharged and spends most of the time on the trail. I have an Atlas on it and can actually step out of the vehicle and walk next to it while it crawls. I swapped vehicles with a friend while in Moab last year. He had an automatic JLUR. I found it was much easier to drive up the obstacles, especially when you were trying to go up an incline and had to give it some gas while trying not to slip backwards. That is a bit trickier when you have a manual and can sometimes result in a bit more throttle or jerking than needed. Before my TJ, I had a manual Scrambler that was also built up and after over 30 years of off-roading with a manual, the day I spent in the auto changed my mind and I ordered the JLUR with automatic.

MIAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLURD,‘02 F-250 7.3, ‘15 Prius, Had 13 JK
I too like manual transmissions, I have a 2002 F-250 7.3 L diesel with a 6 speed manual, I think it’s a ZF, with a real close shifting pattern. It just works fine, engine and tranny work damn good together. We bought a ‘21 JLURD 10 weeks ago and I’m beginning to think I’ll like it as much, that engine and transmission also work super well together. This transmission is also a ZF and works like a dream. Granted, I’ve only had it a short time and don’t have the time in the seat yet, but I’ve got real good gut feelings about it.
I’m actually geared up to tow a 22 foot travel trailer with it, only a couple of hundred miles with that in tow so far, but the next several weeks will see us tow it cross country. The sensation of lots of torque is the same with the Jeep as I’ve had with the last 18+ years of the F-250. Considering the extra $4500 for the diesel and much higher oil change costs, I don’t think the diesel Jeep will ever recover the cash invested, but that torque that I’ve loved in our now old F-250 is alive and well in the diesel Jeep. I too love the transmission, it’s mapped just right.
So, if you’re thinking of the diesel Wrangler, go and drive one back to back with a same model gas version. I think you’ll be amazed. Yes, it’s heavier by I’ve heard almost 400 pounds, but there are people who think it rides better?? Who knows, I guess there’s a seat for every posterior, everyone just go out and have fun with what you want.
If you’re wondering what the hell I’m towing a travel trailer for, it’s there’s a few more years on our bones and comfort is becoming more important. We’re going to tow to a trailhead and plant the solar equipped trailer and take rides from there. Only thing that we have to watch is water useage and fuel for the Jeep and 400-425 miles per tank helps a lot. Have Fun! I really like that automatic.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The lack of MT drivers started disappearing during my generation, Gen X. Many of my peers were dumfounded by a MT if I handed them my keys to move my car. I grew up in a family where both my parent had MT. I think many boomers parent started driving automatics and didn't teach their Gen X children to drive a MT.

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
@ the OP, I had the same thoughts as you but I also wanted a 2 door like my previous Jeeps so my decision was a bit harder. Once I got my head around the thought of ordering a 4 door and came to the conclusion that a 4D would be a better fit for me now I started considering the diesel. I really wanted a MT and hated idea of an auto in a Jeep but like you I really wanted the diesel. I finally ordered and received (5 weeks) a 21 JLURD and I couldn't be happier! The sound (I wish it was clacking louder like my Cummins Ram....lol) is good but the torque is seductive compared to what I'm used to from my other Jeep(05 Rubi) which has a MT. As others have told you in this thread, the auto tranny is a star, it's really great! I would suggest driving both and make your mind up but I think once you feel the low end torque the diesel has it will greatly help you with your decision. I'm actually thinking about selling my TJ (never thought that would happen) because I love the engine/tranny combo so much in the JLU diesel!
Jeep Wrangler JL Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy? 2Jeeps

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@PetePetePete ,

You are not crazy. Far from it. Get the diesel you won't regret it.

I too have driven manual's for a very good part of my driving career. Almost 45 years now. I was a little leary in buying my 2019 3.6L JL Sport S with the auto.

However, I'm certainly now very (VERY) glad I did. This ZF8 has turned out to be the best transmission I've ever owned, by far bar none. Including all the MT's. It shifts quick and concise, it's smooth and practically unnoticeable. Best yet, it's AutoStick (manual) mode is just way too cool to explain. It's like having both a manual and auto in the same package. If you want to control the shift points (from 1st through 8th) you can do that; never putting it into Drive at all.

By reconfiguring the cluster's EVIC Display to show the 'Current' gear, you can always see what the trans is doing. So you can override any gear at any time. The best part, it's shift latency is damn near instantaneous. Hundreds of milliseconds tops.

I especially like AutoStick mode when off-roading, especially in 4LO. Complete and total control over even the most challenging of obstacles. Riding the clutch or missing a gear is a thing of the past.

I can't praise this ZF8 tranny enough. It rocks. So much so I've been banned by @MOS on an MT6 thread for calling the manual die-hards zealots for not being open-minded over the ZF8. I guess some people just can't or won't listen to opposite points of view. Especially when it comes to manuals.

So on top of that this ZF8 is mated with the Diesel. I suppose the MT6 can't be used because that power plant would likely be too easy to rip it apart. The warranty claims would be way too cost prohibitive (likely to the point of bankruptcy, and they know it). Especially in light of FCA (Stellantis) can't keep the current MT's from blowing apart with the lower torque engines. Recalled every unit since it's implementation.

Relax, enjoy your diesel. You too will love the ZF8. It's a much better manual than the Manual. That is unless you love the left leg clutching calisthenics.

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
Wife told me... "I love diesels too, but I want a manual, please." -- she doesn't normally "ask" for ANYTHING. She finds automatics boring.

So... we will be ordering:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Firecracker Red
Black Interior
18" x 7.5 Inch Tech-Gray Machine-Face Wheels
8.4-Inch Display
Tow Package
MANUAL Transmission

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
I had a 2019 2 door Rubicon with a manual and the got a 2020 Rubicon JLU with the diesel. I really did like the engine and tranny combo, but always kept thinking about that 2 door manual. When Jeep announced the diesel Gladiator I ordered one in the Rubicon trim and drove it for a few months, but kept thinking about that 2 door manual. Now I am driving a 2021 2 door manual Rubicon and couldn’t be happier with my decision. I do miss the mpg advantage of the diesel as my Rubicon on 35s with a 2 inch lift gets absolutely abysmal fuel economy compared to the 2 diesels I had (the Gladiator was rolling on 35s as well and got about 9 mpg better average fuel economy, the JLU was on 33s and got about 11 mpg better than I am getting now). BUT, I wouldn’t go back to the diesel over a 2 door manual again, the 2 door manual is so much more enjoyable to drive. That and I’ve read horror stories of having to remove the body just to replace the turbo on the Gladiator and I was having some regen issues with the Gladiator (never had any in the JLU diesel for the time I had it). I enjoy having the least mechanically sophisticated Jeep they offer for when I go to the very northern point of the UP. If my diesels had trouble when I was up there, no one would be able to help me and it would wind up being a huge pain to get things fixed.
Almost in the same boat as you. I miss my 2-door Rubicon with the manual. Going to make my mind up next week about going back to it and trading in my Mojave Gladiator. Was a blast to drive...anywhere. Put almost 100,000 miles on it in three years. A little less than 200 miles a day 6 days a week for 6 months. Never let me down and never had any issues. 2017 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock JK.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Scott,

The ZF8 auto rocks in these JL's. I don't miss driving a manual in my 3.6L 2 Door Sport. On the highway I can run the gears with AutoStick whenever I want. On the trail I'm nearly never in Drive. The trans behaves great in every situation I throw at it. As a bonus, I never (ever) haver have to worry about blowing up the clutch.

Jay

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Our 2018 JL 6 speed is so good that we decided to get another - we just ordered a 2021 6 speed. My wife and kids all requested another manual - it's just fun for us - not judging anyone else. As a bonus - my kids friends can't borrow it because none of them can drive it.

Re the Diesel - just be sure no one else ever fuels your truck. Our diesel BMW has been fed gas twice and it's an expense of $2k minimum, $20k max to fix.

Re the 8 speed - I've driven in JLs with it - it really is an awesome transmission if you want an auto. That said, I've driven over 900k miles on manuals (VW, Audi, Honda) and never had a tranny problem, no replaced clutches. I have driven over 300k miles on autos (Audi, BMW, Chevy) and I've had to rebuild 4 trannys. Hopefully these new ones are more reliable - who knows.

Bottom line - buy whatever Jeep makes you happy -
Sponsored