Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
That's what happened to me. It is amazing how well it drives.
That, and the wife would like to drive the jeep more. She knows how to drive manual.. Just doesn't prefer it. It is what it is on that subject.
Sponsored

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
I really am partial to diesel engines and the perfect set up for me would be diesel/manual/2door. One can wish. So I opted for manual and I'm actually on my second JL with 6MT. I can say this about the manual since I had a Sport and now Rubicon back to back. The 6MT transmission gearing appears to be set up for the Rubicon as 5 and 6 are waaaaay too tall in the Sport with stock diffs and tcase. I just drove it like a 4 speed. I did drive an auto for a day when the dealer let me "borrow" it to help me make a decision. I am extremely partial to manuals and wanted to give the auto a fair look. There is no question the connected driving experience is wonderful with the manual. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I had a Sport again, I'd consider new gears. The Rubicon manual is perfect. Now if I could only go back to crank windows...

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There is of course THIS factor :LOL:
antitheft.png
I was taught how to drive a manual at 9 years old. My drivers training was done with a 3-speed on the column. I took my drivers license test in a stick-shift the day I turned 16. In high school I taught myself how to heel-toe in a 1973 VW. My daily driver is a stick-shift, which I'm looking at replacing with another stick-shift car.

I don't steal cars, but if I did I would prefer to steal a stick-shift. I am a Millennial.

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
I was taught how to drive a manual at 9 years old. My drivers training was done with a 3-speed on the column. I took my drivers license test in a stick-shift the day I turned 16. In high school I taught myself how to heel-toe in a 1973 VW. My daily driver is a stick-shift, which I'm looking at replacing with another stick-shift car.

I don't steal cars, but if I did I would prefer to steal a stick-shift. I am a Millennial.
That image should be updated to say Gen Z. Millennials go back to 1981. Many of us drive a manual.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Most Millenials learned to drive in the autos that their boomer parents passed down 😜

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Most Millenials learned to drive in the autos that their boomer parents passed down 😜
You skipped a generation, old boy.

Boomer -- Gen X -- Millennial -- Gen Z

Xers like myself cut our teeth on [usually domestic] autos from the 70s and 80s, a time by which automatics had come to the fore. And yet there's no shortage of us, and Millennials, who prefer to row our own.

Arguably, it's the iGeneration (Gen Z) that is statistically most unfamiliar with the third pedal.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
What's funny is that the death of the manual transmission is blamed on Millennials & Gen Z, which is a conclusion that was based off of new car sales. But Millennials & Gen Z typically aren't affluent enough to afford a new car...

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
You skipped a generation, old boy.

Boomer -- Gen X -- Millennial -- Gen Z

Xers like myself cut our teeth on [usually domestic] autos from the 70s and 80s, a time by which automatics had come to the fore. And yet there's no shortage of us, and Millennials, who prefer to row our own.

Arguably, it's the iGeneration (Gen Z) that is statistically most unfamiliar with the third pedal.
Short of high school pregnancies most millennials are kids of boomers. At least in my case and nearly everyone I know of my age (Im born mid 80's, parents born in 50's)

That being said my mother does not know how to drive stick, learned from my brother friend while my dad relearned how to drive stick as the only time he did was in the air force 30 yeas earlier, when i bought my manual YJ in hs

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
I’ve always preferred manuals because that’s what I learned on and grew up using (65 Mustang 3spd). I’ve had a few automatics over the years and don’t dislike them, but I’ve always felt more in touch with the vehicle when driving a standard. My CJ5 was a manual (and a V8), but I bought a JK with an automatic in 2014 and it was great. However, I always felt like I’d settled and insisted on a manual when I got my JL. I paid for it by having to wait for one to be built — but it was worth it. My point is that you should drive a Jeep for the sheer fun of it, no matter how it’s equipped. For me a standard transmission is just more fun. Twice now I’ve had to drive my wrangler into the service bay because at my dealer they could not find a porter who could operate a standard - and that’s a little sad.

Sponsored

TX MOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 MOAB
I used to hate auto’s for Jeep’s as well. I had people tell me that if you buy an Auto, in one week you will stop caring so much about a manual transmission. They were right.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Noooo... get a manual!!!

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I probably made too broad and vague of a comment there.

I am not in a position to speak for the crowd but my perception is that a commonly suggested improvement for the manual transmission is that the reverse gear could be shorter. I could be falsely concluding this but those comments seem to come disproportionately from non-Rubicon owners. As a Rubicon owner I also think that the reverse could be slower but it is tolerable and not unlike any other manual I have ever driven... basically it can require extra feathering of clutch relative to say 1st gear, especially when reversing up hills.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I used to hate auto’s for Jeep’s as well. I had people tell me that if you buy an Auto, in one week you will stop caring so much about a manual transmission. They were right.
I have found that I care about the car itself less when it is an automatic.

Push foot-button 1: GO
Push foot-button 2: STOP

Half-kidding here. Automatics these days can be great and there are automatics in many great cars. And for stop-go traffic it is true automatics rule the road. The manual cars I have driven are the most fun.
Sponsored