Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I was pretty "sold" on getting a base 4-dr with manual trans and tow-package.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Anything else you could share?

Thanks!
I love the diesel and I love the 8 speed ZF transmission. I am in Los Angeles this week and the traffic is stop and go. So glad I have the auto.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'm guessing you haven't driven the Diesel yet, or you wouldn't be asking.

so many variables go into what's best for you; if you spend any time in stop/slow-and-go traffic, an automatic is the clear winner. if you're rock crawling, the autos torque convertor is going to provide you more usable torque and be easier on shock loading your driveline than the stick. if there's ever a chance you might bung up a hand, or arm, or ankle or knee and need to drive yourself to safety, the automatic is the winner.
fact is, most people can't/don't shift as well as a modern automatic, and the one in the Diesel JL performs right up there with the best i've seen.

using a clutch can be fun; and i enjoy that greatly on my motorcycles. but the last couple of decades in J**ps i've been more than fine with the autos.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Thanks!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It’s worth mentioning that the gas engines have an EGR cooler and valve as well. I’ve got the 3.6 JL, not the 2.0 so I don’t know whether they have it as well.

My JL has a manual transmission. I’ve also only ever owned manuals and I will say it did take me a few weeks to get used to the clutch feel, the gear ratios, and the little rpm blip up that occurs when shifting sometimes. But now I’m used to it and I actually really like the way it drives. At first I wasn’t crazy about the color or shape of the reverse gear lockout, but that’s just a visual thing. Now I don’t really even notice it and it feels great to use so it’s not a problem anymore.
Yes the gasoline engines have EGR as well, but it isn't like an EGR on a diesel engne or the annoyance of a diesel particulate filter. EGR on a diesel is a bad idea for so many reasons, and that is why so many people go so far to do emissions deletes on diesel vehicles. If you don't need the extra Tq of the diesel, it isn't worth the hassle in my opinion. I still think the OP should drive both and decide.

JeepFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport 2-door

Thanks!
If you hate automatics like I do, don't get the diesel. The JL's manual is excellent.

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If you hate automatics like I do, don't get the diesel. The JL's manual is excellent.
I used to hate autos back when they sucked (drove manuals for 40+ years) but they are very good now. Besides, the 6 spd I had back in 2013 was more like a car anyway. Whimpy pedal, short shifter, short throws not like a truck at all but to each his own-

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I love a manual transmission as much as the next guy, but this 8-speed TorqueFlite makes the best case there is to get the automatic: it is reliable, refined, responsive and smart.

It is always in the right gear, shifts imperceptibly, and downshifts promptly with a gentle tap on the gas or the brakes.

The automatic transmission, along with the Jeep transfer cases, are the few truly bulletproof parts on these Jeeps.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have owned many MT vehicles over the years. I took a test drive with a JLUR with the 6 speed and shifted it like 50 times in under ten miles. I thought to myself, this would get old real quick and passed on the MT as it would soon turn into a chore to drive. I knew that I would loose mileage as there was no way that I would not be short shifting or shifting as often to keep the motor in the sweet spot for mileage.

Close ratio MT are awesome and a blast to drive in the right kind of vehicle. To me the Jeep is not the right kind of vehicle. With that said, the 8 speed auto in the Jeep is one of the best auto Transmission that I have ever had in a vehicle. Super smooth and 99% of the time I don't even feel it shift up or down. The only way to tell that it has shifted is to watch the gear indicator change or watch the RPMs change.

If you want the feel of MT, slide the stick over and use manual mode for up and down shifts. Chances are though that for daily driving and wheeling, it will not take ling for you to appreciate how good the 8 speed auto is. I also believe that the 8 speed if vastly superior to the manual for wheeling. I also believe that the 8 speed auto is lowering maintenance cost over the long haul. Not that replacing a clutch if you have the tools and know how is difficult or overly expensive, but I do believe that the auto transmission over the life time of the vehicle will be way less costly to own and operate.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
I say go with the manual transmission.

Having driven JLs and JTs with the auto, it is a great transmission. The manual trans in the JL is also very good. So, if you value the driving experience with a manual transmission, get the manual, save a bunch of $$ and have no regrets. I have daily driven with a manual for 20+years. 2 times I tried going Auto(to get a vehicle not offered in stick). Each time, I traded in the vehicle within 6 months to get back to a manual trans.
The diesel would be a nice novelty in the beginning, but you will most likely be bored with the auto trans after a few months.
Regarding the driving range, I believe that the diesel has a smaller fuel tank due to the DEF tank. So, it is probably similar.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
This is a very personal decision and everyone will have an opinion based on their experiences. I'm 48 years old and I've always driven manual. It's the only thing preventing me from getting the 392. I had a 6.4L Ford Raptor and sold it because I missed driving stick. As much fun as the Raptor was to drive, it just didn't feel the same driving an automatic.

The manual transmission in the JL is unbelievably smooth when compared to previous model Jeeps. I've driven stick on every previous model Jeep and the JL is soft and refined; much easier to drive than previous models, but just as fun and engaging. I'd stay with the manual. Good luck.

Sponsored

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
I thought transmission was just a personal preference, but automatics wheel alot better than manuals. I haven't seen too many manuals since the TJ, and guys would rig up a bicycle finger brake to the throttle on the shift stick so they could use their feet for clutch and brakes.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You've probably received an over abundance of opinions but now, but here's one more :)
I have driven manual transmission cars for over 40 years. Professionally I'm a software engineer, but I'm also a total gear head. The transmission controller on the ZF is AMAZING. It's a real work of art. My last car was a hellcat challenger. I loved that car. My car before that was a 6spd manual SRT challenger (loved that car too). It was also my first auto performance car ever. I've owned performance cars (for handling and for 1/4 mile) only for the past 20 years. I've also owned and built Jeeps over the years and they were all manuals as well. I went with the auto in the hellcat because of how well that tcm was written. That car was amazing and I never missed the manual. I went with the auto in my jeep because of my experience with it in the hellcat. I work with people in tuning industry. They all rave about the Chrysler ZF 8 speed and how well it's tuned. Much better than the GM and Ford 10 speeds.
The gearing in the 8 speed is also an advantage over the 6 speed. Automatics of today are 100x better than just the last generation of automatics. They select the gear to shift to. They don't have to go through them sequentially. It will adjust shifting depending on how you're driving at the time. If you're driving aggressively it holds gears longer and shift harder. In the hellcat it would downshift aggressively if I was getti9ng on the brakes hard. It would hold a gear even if I let off the gas while in a fast turn, like it knew I was going to want to accelerate hard coming out of the turn. I've been driving the jeep for about 8 months now. Granted, I don't drive it through turns like a car and I don't have a lot of off-road time on it yet. Ina gas jeep it's a big advantage IMHO. I have the 2.0 which only comes with the auto, but if I wanted a manual I would have went with the 3.6 if I needed to. It wasn't the engine that made me decide. Although I do like the 2.0 :)

If you're not sure, rent a jeep or a chrysler/dodge car with an 8 speed. Drive it around for a day. Get an idea of how it will work for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

$.02

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I think it has been said well already, but to echo other’s thoughts. The ZF 8 speed auto is the highlight of the vehicle. Very slick, and it always seems to know what gear I want to be in.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Manual mode in an automatic is not nearly the same interactive & connected experience as driving MT. Honestly I find it boring and a waste of time when I have tried it on other cars. The 8 speed auto is a good automatic with the caveat of it being an automatic transmission.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
6-sp Rubicon owner here (mentioning because 4.10 gears seem to be factor on how much people like their manual).

The messages you are getting is probably clear. The current JL manual transmission (AISIN) is widely considered to be a great manual transmission. The current JL automatic transmission is "better."

If you are familiar with the new Land Rover Defender, the trail management system on those are considered to be the "best". It does everything for you via computer controlled drive train management!

Why do I mention the Defender? Point is the experience-factor the vehicle provides. Technology can do a lot of things better than the driver these days; Jeep's automatic transmissions seem to be example of this. If you don't care about the experience then buy and adopt the superior technology.

I have only owned my Jeep for a month now and thus far, I LOVE MY MANUAL TRANSMISSION and am glad I did not purchase the automatic.
Sponsored