Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
My $0.05 worth.

Love my manual.
In most cases, it takes a lot more skill to drive a manual off road then an auto.
If I was going to do a bunch of rock crawling out west, might consider the manual.
Luckily, I'm on the east coast and a manual is perfect.

Manual helps one to be more engaged in the driving of a Jeep.
Something about shifting gears is just cool.
Driving automatics is OK, just no real skill is needed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy? Save the manuals 4

IMHO, look into a Rubicon so that you get the Dana 44's and a manual gear box.
On the non-Rubicon models, sometimes the tow package option adds in an auto gear box.

A diesel with a manual gear box would be great, but it is unlikely that option package will ever occur (In 2019, Ram got rid of their Cummins diesel with manual tranny option).

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
No matter what gear box you have, Jeeps are great.
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

Ya know, I am one that had only manuals for about two decades straight. I've had 6 speed miata (maybe the funnest car ever made), 350z, 5 speed Jeep TJ, etc. I got my 2021 JL in auto as a compromise for my wife so she could drive it too with minimal complaining to me (Why yes, of course I taught her to drive manual a long time ago and she can do it . . . but you know how it is).

Anyway, to MomJeans' point, I thought the same thing. I said to myself, well it does have the shifty thingies, so maybe I will just do that and be happy. I tried it a few times, and to be honest, there really is no joy in it for me. Not like a manual. As others have said the manual shift and clutch action give you a feel for the vehicle like no other.

So I just gave up and drive full auto now, with the exception while driving on twisty mountain roads with lots of inclines and declines, I use the shifter thingies. It really helps squeeze the power out of my 3.6 (which tries waaay too hard to keep everything around 2K rpm) and use engine braking like a manual, etc.

It is true the 3.6 really wants and needs to shift somewhere between 3-5K rpm minimum to feel like its really there. The programming of the 8 speed is way to conservative IMHO. Most of the time unless I am on the gas hard, I am trolling around at about 2K or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
Early on, I had concerns about the 6MT and have even posted here about them. But after owning my Jeep for over a month, everything is great. As other posters have said, the "engagement" factor of a manual transmission cannot be replaced by the Tq that you'd get from the diesel. Not to mention all of the baggage that comes with a modern diesel (i.e. DEF, EGR, etc.).

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you're going to do with it. I hope you aren't towing a big travel trailer with a Wrangler. I say, drive both and decide what you like.
It’s worth mentioning that the gas engines have an EGR cooler and valve as well. I’ve got the 3.6 JL, not the 2.0 so I don’t know whether they have it as well.

My JL has a manual transmission. I’ve also only ever owned manuals and I will say it did take me a few weeks to get used to the clutch feel, the gear ratios, and the little rpm blip up that occurs when shifting sometimes. But now I’m used to it and I actually really like the way it drives. At first I wasn’t crazy about the color or shape of the reverse gear lockout, but that’s just a visual thing. Now I don’t really even notice it and it feels great to use so it’s not a problem anymore.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm a life long 2-door driver, but FCA forced me into a 4-door to get a decent engine. Gotta change with the times.

Jazzman65

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
I was pretty "sold" on getting a base 4-dr with manual trans and tow-package.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Anything else you could share?

Thanks!
I got the diesel this past January (my first ever diesel and first ever Jeep) and absolutely love it. The shifts are perfect and smooth, you won't be disappointed.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
All my cars are manual except the new Jeep. Love the automatic with the low torque diesel. Just don’t think about it Your not try to do anything that the manual offers. Ex. It’s not speed demon and your not trying to downshift to access something with 8sp. If anything this vehicle has converted me to auto from manual. Just need my left foot to get convinced.

MeekoDiesel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD Sting Gray , 1948 Willys CJ2A , 1976 Chevy C10 , 1998 Honda Civic
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Technician - Shearon Harris Nuclear Station
I was pretty "sold" on getting a base 4-dr with manual trans and tow-package.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Anything else you could share?

Thanks!
I shared your thoughts about automatics....until I owned a diesel JL with the 8HP75 tranny.

I have a CJ2A, 76 C10, 98 civic, and had a 2011 stang, all stick shift. Love them all, love rowing my own gears. But I’m telling you, the 8 speed is so slick you won’t regret it.

I’ve driven Wrangler JKs and JLs with the manual and as far as manuals go it’s not the greatest. Fairly sloppy and tractor-ish.

Get the diesel and let er’ rip.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Was a manual transmission driver for 43 years before getting our 2019 JL with the 8speed auto. I love it. Does it get quite as good gas mileage as I could if it were a stick, hell, I don't know. But the shifting is super smooth and there's plenty of pick-up whenever it's needed. So I'm happy with it.

Best,
-Tim

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’ll add my .02 to add on to how nice this AT is. I love MTs and have had 6sp BMW and Miatas (and yes, they are the funnest car made!). The AT in the JL is fantastic.

Just get what makes you happy.

And post pics!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's not the same fight that it once was, and in my opinion the automatic in the JL has taken the lead.

In the past, automatics had fewer gears and used the torque converter to compensate for the lack of gearing. Manuals typically had 1 or 2 more gears, and far less parasitic loss. Today's automatic has 2 more gears than the manual and the benefits of a torque converter and the parasitic losses have been reduced greatly.

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As soon as I heard the 3.0 was likely Auto-only, I bought a 6-speed. The complexity of that Diesel engine and auto trans combined was enough for me to get the stick. The 8-speed is a great choice, though, but it just came down to what I felt most comfortable in. Love the six forward gears, but It took a long while to find the sweet spot in reverse, especially backing in the garage.

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
I just ordered my 3rd JL, and just like the last two, it’ll be a manual.

I have the 8 speed in my Ram, and it’s a pretty decent transmission, but I’d trade it for a stick tomorrow if Ram made it an option.

Raz65

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I understand people being happy with their automatics, but to get excited about an auto? I dunno, my current JK has an auto and it's so boring. I can't imagine a few more gears that automatically shift for me would change that. I'm so excited to be getting my 6 speed manual Willys after waiting over 6 months.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I came from a 2016 and a 2019 ram with the hemi and ZF pairing, loved the combo on both, but I made the switch to the Jeep primarily to get a manual again. I don’t regret it one bit, this is the nicest gearbox I’ve ever had in a modern car

rustybm

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q7
Can’t disagree with any of the comments/opinions. Love manual transmissions and connection to the vehicle and road. Had the 6spd manual in 2017 JK...loved every bit of it even if it felt a bit primitive. For my 2021 order, I test drove the 6spd manual and 8spd diesel back to back several times. ....despite thinking I’d go with another M/T, the diesel won me over. The 6spd manual almost felt “too” smooth at times (especially compared to JK) and comparatively, I went with torque and ease of diesel (will be my daily driver). Sadly, still waiting for my order, so will see if I have buyers remorse and M/T envy at some point.

Go for a few test drives, go with your gut and don’t look back...don’t think there are any bad choices here!

Good luck.
Sponsored