Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
I was pretty "sold" on getting a base 4-dr with manual trans and tow-package.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Anything else you could share?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
The new auto trans is a gem. I’ve got the same motor/trans in my Ram and love it. Have the auto in my JL and love it as well. I too used to be manual only but the 8 speed auto is so darn good i don’t miss a stick at ALL..

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Just go drive one.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Personally, having driven a diesel truck for years... after a bit, you don't even think about it, and the only time your mind even differentiates what you're driving is at the pump.

A manual is a constant engagement, every single time you drive it.

I'd say the manual is going to give you more active enjoyment per drive than the automatic, if you love manuals and hate automatics.

I think the complaints about the 6 speed are overblown, but that said the 8 speed is really well regarded as a great transmission, so the manual doesn't compare as favorably as it would have in the past.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I don't know about anyone else but I love my manual!!! I have driven a stick my whole life, this is my 6th wrangler. I once purchased a JK 4 door Rubi with an automatic...I got so bored with it I traded it a year later. I usually go through cars/trucks every three years but man that thing to me was a real snore! to each their own. Buy and Drive what you love...it's your money and life is too short!!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have to Second that, Old Bear, as a die- hard manual transmission fan, I chose the 8 speed auto over the JL manual. That dual- mass flywheel, and the serious issues resulting in a " Stop Sale " recall vindicated my decision. The clutch had no " feel", and just no fun to drive. The automatic is seamless, shifts just right. And has a manual mode if you want to Row the Boat. Really surprised me, it is so good.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Early on, I had concerns about the 6MT and have even posted here about them. But after owning my Jeep for over a month, everything is great. As other posters have said, the "engagement" factor of a manual transmission cannot be replaced by the Tq that you'd get from the diesel. Not to mention all of the baggage that comes with a modern diesel (i.e. DEF, EGR, etc.).

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you're going to do with it. I hope you aren't towing a big travel trailer with a Wrangler. I say, drive both and decide what you like.

OP
OP

PetePetePete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport (WTB)
I will not be towing, however, I will be using a 4-bike rack (hitch mounted)...

I'm not concerned with making the money back on fuel savings. But I do like the MPG and miles per tank of the diesel.

I am concerned with which drivetrain will have the least issues...

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I’ve driven manuals most of my life but only in sportier vehicles where I feel it enhances the driving experience. I test drove the only MT JL the dealer had on the lot and realized I would probably get tired of it quickly in a Wrangler. I’ve owned several diesels (VW TDI’s and Chevy Trucks) and really wanted the Eco Diesel but was scared away by the issues they had in the Ram and decided to wait and see how this plays out. Anyhow I ended up with the 3.6 and have to say the 8 speed is a great auto transmission and more fitting to daily driving a JLU for me.

Sponsored

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Owned lots of Jeep sticks, and lots of autos. My favorite auto before this one was the 32RH. The 42RLE was a POS but we dealt with it. The new 8 speed is bloody amazing. Buy with confidence.

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
As others have said, this 8speed auto works great with the 3.0. It’s a very satisfying drivetrain.

Reactions: GtX

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I can tell you the eight speed auto is amazing. My 21 2dr Rubicon 3.6 is actually pretty quick...shifts great too! Love the auto!
Sponsored