Sponsored

Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy?

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'm going to assume that a manual trans will NEVER see the light of day in a diesel Jeep, aye?
Probably. There isn't enough market share for a manual transmission in a diesel, plus the fact that the manual transmission can't take the torque of the diesel engine.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...
Some people got bad builds, I’m sure. Some people’s expectations are way off (it’s a Wrangler, not a Miata), and some people think they are better at driving than they are. 🥷

What I can say for sure is that mine has been great since day one, and that the stock gearing for Rubicon *much* better suits the 6sp.

I think you need to drive both, but might I suggest that if you go for the 6sp you put that saved diesel/auto money toward a regear (or a Rubi).

Personally, I’d never go for the diesel unless you often tow big stuff for long distances, but that’s just me.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'm going to assume that a manual trans will NEVER see the light of day in a diesel Jeep, aye?
Honestly, we're lucky to see the 6MT in a 3.6 V-6. Standards are a dying breed these days, I'm glad that I got mine before they discontinued them entirely in the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this?
To the extent that the diesel's 8HP75 transmission is an uparmored version of the 850RE 8-speed used in the gasoline Wranglers, you might be pleasantly surprised after driving the automatic in the coal burner.

(You love one, but hate the other. Something has to give if you're to proceed here.)

The automatic transmission in my 2.0T JLU is easily the best one I've ever experienced, in any vehicle. I say this as someone who likes and has owned several manual gearboxes through the years, and will always, for example, have a motorcycle in the garage, if only to maintain access to a clutch in some manner.

As mentioned, the automatics have a manual shift mode. While it doesn't compare to the tactile experience of a proper manual transmission, at least it's there.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I was pretty "sold" on getting a base 4-dr with manual trans and tow-package.

The more I read, the more I love the diesel, but I hate automatic transmissions with a passion. However, I love diesel almost the same as I hate automatics.

What can folks tell me on this? How delayed is the auto that is paired with the diesel? I'm also hearing that the manual trans with the gasser isn't so great... which is concerning...

Anything else you could share?

Thanks!
I'm a manual driver. I haven't ever bought an auto in 25+ years of driving until I test drove a diesel wrangler. First all that compression makes it drive more like a manual with how you lift your foot of the gas and the vehicle will slow down. Also down hills it will help hold its speed like a manual will do. One thing that really helped me make the change was you can have the Drive mode tell you you the gear its in w/o having to go into triptronic mode.

If I could have gotten the diesel in a manual I would have. But so far my worries about is this going to be a big mistake haven't come true. I actually enjoy how it drives and remote start, etc are quite cool. I don't drive jeeps like cars, I typically drive them slow and don't tear thru corners, so I'm sure that is some of the reason I am cool with this change for the jeep. Also I don't daily my jeep, it is a garage princess that only is taken offroading and on overlanding trips. Occasionally I take it when I want to get some sun in the summer or for heavy snow in the winter. My daily is a manual which probably is a big factor in the auto jeep being a nice thing since I still get my fix of rolling gears with my little VW. BTW, I have this shirt and wear it often. Some of my fellow manual jeep drivers I travel with often have been giving me sh*t with sending me pictures from our trips wearing it. But I'm surprised at how happy I am with the diesel auto tranny.

I also test drove a 3.6L manual before buying. I don't like it as much as the feel of the JKs. Now I had tons of issues with the JK manual and it was warrantied 3 times for poor quality stuff, but it felt good for a jeep. It was rough and truck like which adds to the jeep experience and fit the vehicle well. The JL is smooth and feels more like a car. Personally I don't think it feels right for the vehicle, but I suspect it is a better quality transmission than what the 6spd JKs had.

I hope my experiences and views helps you decide. Diesel is no picnic btw, there are lots of things with the diesel that are some what a headache to come. One there is not a lot of items like dual batteries, snorkels, etc for them (yet) if those are in your plans. And the DEF tank and/or exhaust hangs super low on the rear (below the hitch), oil changes are much more significant and cost a lot more (but are less frequent), etc.

I test drove a JL diesel thinking the auto tranny would put an end to that thought of getting a diesel. I really liked my JK... nope it made it impossible to dismiss. You will find a lot of manual drivers on here that were willing to give up that "must have" in their vehicle to have the diesel jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Guide me here... I'm a life-long manual transmission driver & I am considering making the change to automatic only because I want the diesel! Crazy? automatic_tranny

JustBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep JKU Sport
Five Jeeps (CJs and Wranglers) have all been stick. My current JKU, the stick has been great.
Just ordered a 21 JL Rubi in automatic breaking tradition.
Why? Remote start & heated seats in a cold winter. And my commute, though short, is stop and go. It will be my daily driver.
It also may have something to do with the wife wanting to be able to drive it.

But the best advice: Test drive both. In the end, you're paying. Don't settle.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Oh man, my wife and I went through your same dilemma. I'm a life-long manual driver and proponent, however in the end the diesel desire won out. After all, I had been one of those people pestering about a diesel Wrangler since the 90s; put up or shut up. I've had several manual Wranglers including 3.8 and 3.6 MT Rubicons and our last vehicle was a diesel Trailhawk WK2. We knew we liked the drivetrain...

I have had the now semi-common oil leak (mine was timing chain cover, the other common one is turbo oil line). Took more than 6 weeks for the repair and am just finally getting through dealing with that and headaches related to that repair/dealer.

The good:
-That torque. That torque. It is just so nice.
-The mileage. Even with 37s and very mixed driving in the mountains (including wheeling) I'm consistently at 23-25 mpg hand calculated. Hard top, soft top, ski box, no. Doesn't really matter.
-The range. See above. Though the fuel tank is smaller so the range isn't as much of an improvement over the gas engine.
-The noise. Actually really quiet in most driving. But I love the little diesel rumble on start-up and when crawling off-road. My wife does too.
-Easier rock crawling with the auto.
-Best Wrangler yet for towing a boat trailer or camper. This was a big reason for me.

The not so good:
-The oil leak. Really disappointed but hopefully this is now solved.
-No shifty-shifty. Less engaging. Just doesn't feel right.
-Diesel is generally more expensive than gasoline (except often premium).
-Fueling can be a little messier as the handles always seem to dribble a little.
-The weight! This thing is definitely heavy. Front more than the back but both ends. The front often bottoms out on the bumpstops. This is still the case, even with a 2.5" lift and softer/extended bumpstops.
-Fewer dealers can work on the Jeep, or only have one or two diesel techs.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Always had MT, this last Wrangler, I got auto for my wife, and I must say, I don't think I can go back to MT, this 8spd auto also has manual shifting or whatever it's called, and it's great when I need it.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I will not be towing, however, I will be using a 4-bike rack (hitch mounted)...

I'm not concerned with making the money back on fuel savings. But I do like the MPG and miles per tank of the diesel.

I am concerned with which drivetrain will have the least issues...
If you are concerned about overall reliability, any diesel with a DEF tank just run away.

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Life long manual driver and my last car was a Mazda 3 so getting an automatic was out of the question. The JL manual is silky smooth and the improved pick-up makes the experience more car-like in a good way. Of course it’s still a Jeep and drives like it’s big/bulky but if you want the feel of driving a truck the diesel is going to be a better option.

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Diehard manual lover here as well, had many past Jeeps with a third pedal. This 21 JLUR I picked up a few weeks ago is my first auto jeep, and after having it this long now, I'd absolutely do it again. What everyone says about the 8 speeds is true, there's a reason everyone raves about them
Sponsored