Status
Not open for further replies.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I felt sorry for him he’s just doing his job
You can feel sorry for him. I believe people like him are supposed to be held to a HIGHER standard of care. That's what your tax dollars go towards: training and equipment. And it's your tax dollars that will pay for the damage to both vehicles, ultimately.
Sponsored

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
Pretty accusatory regarding police. But when you need one you'll be the first person to call one and hope he'll protect you.

What a lousy attitude and terrible that you judge all cops in a bad light.

Are you also leading a "defund the police" effort in your area?
I agree with you that the OP (of the post you are responding to) is a bit, reactionary. I think we can all say we have had BOTH good and bad experiences with the Police. The problem isn't the badge, the problem is the person wearing the badge. If the person is an asshole, then they will be worse with the badge.

As for the defund the police, that doesn't mean what most people think it is. If you look at what is actually proposed (every area/state/city is different) it doesn't mean abolishing the police. In my area, for example, it means they don't need a whole new supply of AR15's every year. It means no more Military auction vehicles. They will be taking that money for (more) Social Workers, and help with drug and abuse counselling.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I take responsibility for my own safety and encourage and teach others to do the same. The police have no legal duty to protect you, and thats been held up in courts more than once. No one is coming to save you.

a lot of people found out the hard way during these protests/riots that the police may or may not come when you call 911, or worse arrest you for defending your home. My post was sarcastic, dramatic, and hyperbolic- but ive personally seen each and every example i listed.

hopefully for the Op, the officer, supervisor, and department in question just do the right thing and he can be made whole. Luckily no one was hurt.
I learned from working both prosecution and defense in my area that people should NEVER trust the police. Their policies and court rulings have repeatedly affirmed that their "safety" trumps most individuals' rights and that they have no duty to protect, only investigate/enforce laws once broken.

JeepAustinWeird

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Not sure that anyone addressed your comment
“In addition carfax will show it as a wrecked vehicle now and the value will drop to who knows what.”

You need to push their insurance (whomever that may be given it is a city vehicle) that they need to compensate you for the depreciation b/c your right, if you go to trade your car the dealer will give you less value and if you try to sell, it will show on carfax (if you do get repair work) and in the end will be worth less.

Im not sure how state laws or state practices differ in regard to insurance but the fact is by no fault of your own, your Jeep has now been dinged and not just in the physical sense. I’ve had a couple buddies here in TX that were involved in accidents not their fault and told them this and both got extra money from the other drivers insurance because of the extra depreciation the accident will cause.
Food for thought. Best of luck.

OP
OP
sheram

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
“In addition carfax will show it as a wrecked vehicle now and the value will drop to who knows what.”

You need to push their insurance (whomever that may be given it is a city vehicle) that they need to compensate you for the depreciation b/c your right, if you go to trade your car the dealer will give you less value and if you try to sell, it will show on carfax (if you do get repair work) and in the end will be worth less.

Im not sure how state laws or state practices differ in regard to insurance but the fact is by no fault of your own, your Jeep has now been dinged and not just in the physical sense. I’ve had a couple buddies here in TX that were involved in accidents not their fault and told them this and both got extra money from the other drivers insurance because of the extra depreciation the accident will cause.
Food for thought. Best of luck.
Thanks, Yeah, I'm working on that now, waiting for their adjuster to contact me, but I've already authorized the Dealership to fix what ever is wrong then I'll deal with my insurance or theirs and get payment. I won't sign any release until I'm satisfied with the settlement INCLUDING diminished value.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Im just glad you werent hurt.

a few more mph of speed and Super Trooper would have head on’d you.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The original post showed a prime example of "above the law". If the table was turned and the OP was taking a turn too fast or not paying attention and clipped the officers car, we would not have heard. The OP would not be allowed to post here from the cell. Just pointing out the obvious.
Wrong. See below ↓↓↓
.....police cars get hit all the time and the other drivers at fault walk away with nothing more then a traffic ticket or warning.
Exactly right. The OP would only have been issued a traffic ticket if the tables were turned.
Which by the way, the officer likely received one for the same offense the OP would have if the tables were turned. I know for a fact that officers here in Ohio ARE cited when they're at fault for a crash, so they're not "above the law."
What they are is human and they make mistakes just like everyone else. Likewise they get punished just like everyone else too. Which means a ticket when you/they cause a crash.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looking at this objectively raises a question. If the emergency warranted that speed, in those conditions, how did he have time to stop for a vehicle that was merely glanced? It seems that if there were a true emergency, he shouldn't have stopped. Conversely, if there was no emergency, he shouldn't have been speeding.

And...please don't accuse me of "blind hate" for asking.
And that's the problem. The emergency likely didn't warrant that speed. So the officer is wrong. Nobody ever said police are infallible. Should they be held to a higher standard? Sure, that's not unreasonable. Should the officer involved in this crash be punished? Absolutely. I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't be punished, or that he isn't wrong.

But tell me this. How many crashes happen every year? Never mind, I'll tell you. More than 5.7 million on average based on data reported to NHTSA. So if more than 5,700,000 people can make a mistake every year, and crash a car, what unrealistic super human expectation for cops do you have that you think they're exempt from also making a mistake?

Nobody said he's not wrong. What I'm saying is he's not perfect. He's a human, not robcop and humans (cop or not) make mistakes. Clearly he was driving faster than he should have, just like many other people who also crash each year do too.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ohio has a law that allows cities/municipalities, to claim immunity in crashes where police officers, firefighters or emergency medical service members are "responding to an emergency call" and "there's no willful or wanton misconduct". Which means they do not have to reimburse for any damage, medical bills, lost wages, etc.
Good luck OP
This means the individual can't sue the city or municipality. It doesn't exempt the emergency vehicle from fault. Insurance will still pay out.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
then you havent really looked. States have to write the exemptions to state law for emergency vehicles. When i was cop many many years ago, we were allowed to use 1/4 of the other lane and exceed the speed limit by 10mph. It was written into state law. exigency allowed us to do more, but it was on us to prove what we did was necessary and reasonable.
Um... you just made my point.
Exigency negated the 10 mph cap, meaning you didn't have a specific speed at which you could exceed the limit. The max speed wasn't 10 mph over, it was necessary and reasonable. Just like I said.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... As for the defund the police, that doesn't mean what most people think it is. If you look at what is actually proposed (every area/state/city is different) it doesn't mean abolishing the police. ....
That is just like saying "The rebel flag doesn't mean what most people think. It doesn't mean white supremacy, it means they're proud to be from the south."
If the rebel flag is considered a symbol of racism despite it's intention, then the term "defund the police" can be considered an anti cop statement despite how it's intended. You said it yourself, "most people" take it that way.

Pick new terminology. Step back and be analytical. How are they supposed to take that term? If you take away funding or "defund" police, you take away the job. Nobody is working any job for free. Therefore, no funding = no police.
I understand the proposal doesn't mean to completely defund police, but that's the perception. It's a poorly chosen term.

Worded better, I suspect a lot of cops would support the idea. I recommend talking to police. Many will tell you they'd be thrilled to not go to a house because someone's 13 year old child doesn't want to listen to their parent. It's not a police matter, yet police get sent because there's no one else to send. If a social worker (who is actually trained for such a thing) could respond it would be better for everyone involved.
You can mean "defunding the police" with the intention of funding social workers or properly trained people for such calls. However the fact remains that the perception is that defunding police means doing away with police. Just like the perception that the rebel flag is a symbol of white supremacy.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oh yeah, I meant to say something and got side tracked. Yes carfax will show the crash, although they will list it as "minor" with the damaged area highlighted. You'll likely see a minor drop in value at most. I had a 2014 Ram which got backed into, with damage to the same area (although it was on the passenger side). The diminished value was only $1000, which was assessed/determined by my local Dodge dealerships (3 quotes to be specific). I had to specifically ask the insurance for this, but hey cut me a check for the diminished value.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Um... you just made my point.
Exigency negated the 10 mph cap, meaning you didn't have a specific speed at which you could exceed the limit. The max speed wasn't 10 mph over, it was necessary and reasonable. Just like I said.
no, it doesnt. Youd like it to, but youve clearly never sat through and inquiry or court case about it. Im not trying to be a dick, you just dont have a clue what youre talking about. I have, so let me help you out.

what it does: It puts them in the hot seat of having to justify what they did and that may save op’s bacon. “There was a call, so i ran code too fast for conditions and at x times the allowed speed overage...”. It may not get the cop charged with anything. But that hearing is discoverable in a civil litigation court, where ultimate liability is decided based on the standard of “preponderance of the evidence”. if the cop was running to a deadly assault in progress or the like, then chances are most anything you see will be deemed “reasonable”. If It wasnt, then the onus becomes increasingly on the cop to prove it Inversely with the severity.

again, the real hope is that none of this is necessary and the department just does the right thing and the op can move on with life.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
First, OP I'm glad you're good. I'm sorry that happened to you. Second, I truly am repulsed by many of the comments in this thread. I have only been a member here for a short time. Hell, I don't even have my Jeep yet. I come here daily to read up on things I enjoy, not to read the same ignorance I see on every social media platform. If this is the type of material that will be posted here and administration/moderators aren't going to address this, then maybe this site isn't for me anymore. Truly frustrated. ✌
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.