Sponsored

Guess what? You can snap a lower control arm in half and not even know it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Was out on West Rim trail in Sand Hollow doing Toll Booth #1. I have done this obstacle multiple times without incident and this time I was doing it a tiny bit different and was crawling when I should have been a little more on the skinny pedal. All I can figure that happened is I bumped and landed on a very pointy piece of rock which punctured the arm and then the torque of trying to get up the obstacle as well as landing on the arm snapped it.
Didn't here a thing and didn't feel a thing, the only way I knew was getting out and looking to find a better line I noticed it. Since we are running Risky Biz tomorrow with a small Trail Hero event I was in a real pickle. Well it turns out an upper front JK control arm is 3/16 longer and can be used in a pickle. Here's to pickles...

Jeep Wrangler JL Guess what? You can snap a lower control arm in half and not even know it. IMG_7250
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Was out on West Rim trail in Sand Hollow doing Toll Booth #1. I have done this obstacle multiple times without incident and this time I was doing it a tiny bit different and was crawling when I should have been a little more on the skinny pedal. All I can figure that happened is I bumped and landed on a very pointy piece of rock which punctured the arm and then the torque of trying to get up the obstacle as well as landing on the arm snapped it.
Didn't here a thing and didn't feel a thing, the only way I knew was getting out and looking to find a better line I noticed it. Since we are running Risky Biz tomorrow with a small Trail Hero event I was in a real pickle. Well it turns out an upper front JK control arm is 3/16 longer and can be used in a pickle. Here's to pickles...

Jeep Wrangler JL Guess what? You can snap a lower control arm in half and not even know it. IMG_7250
Iā€™m more surprised that you still have stock arms on, than it broke.....šŸ˜‚...... at least it looks like one...if thatā€™s Far Ninja, I would assume it came with a teraflex lift, since thatā€™s the former owners go to lift......šŸ˜

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m more surprised that you still have stock arms on, than it broke.....šŸ˜‚...... at least it looks like one...if thatā€™s Far Ninja, I would assume it came with a teraflex lift, since thatā€™s the former owners go to lift......šŸ˜
lol, i was thinking the same thing.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

You, sir, are awesome. Excellent work.

One main purpose behind running the ST3 kit was so the components would be very cheap to replace. Factory arms are dime a dozen for the most part.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Please stop breaking Fat Ninja. You, sir, are abusive.
Momma didn't raise no sissy... lol. I'll leave the Mall Crawling for you east coasters ;)

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You, sir, are awesome. Excellent work.

One main purpose behind running the ST3 kit was so the components would be very cheap to replace. Factory arms are dime a dozen for the most part.
LOL! Well I don't feel so awesome but it happens. At least I could drive it off the trail and wheel it today. Think I'm going to wheel with the JK arm on it since I'm pressed for time.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Completely into two pieces. Wow, you must have been deep into the skinning pedal. Impressive breakage.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Completely into two pieces. Wow, you must have been deep into the skinning pedal. Impressive breakage.
It's a head scratcher for sure. I will def check out the spot next time I'm on the trail. I was too pissed to investigate in the moment.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That's nothing. We had a JK come into the shop the other day with a front LCA missing entirely. The best part is that it wasn't even there for alignment/suspension issues.

This is a great time for you to get some metalcloak CA's though.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's nothing. We had a JK come into the shop the other day with a front LCA missing entirely. The best part is that it wasn't even there for alignment/suspension issues.

This is a great time for you to get some metalcloak CA's though.
WOW!
Nope, just going to stick a stock one back on. This Jeep has been wheeled so hard and performed so well with stock arms I'm good with just putting another one back on. Plus I've been spending $$ and still have other things that need buying so I'll just stick with what I got.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I bent one of mine, looked like a boomerang. I didn't even smack something that hard, but had the wheels turning at just the right angle I guess. Glad they're gone now, front and rear.

Interesting that a JK one will work in a pinch. Pretty cool!