Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/09/porsche-boxster-cayman-conquest/

Guess what the Porsche Boxster and Cayman are being traded in for

It's almost certainly not what you're thinking

When it comes time for the American owners of Porsche Boxsters and Caymans to trade in their keys for something new, they usually opt for another selection within the Porsche family. However, for those who choose to go elsewhere, guess what they're most frequently buying instead?

Go ahead and throw out every sports car you're starting to list. How about this curveball: the Jeep Wrangler.

If you're surprised, you're certainly not alone. That little sales tidbit comes way of Klaus Zellmer, CEO of Porsche North America, who amusingly described executives back in Germany utterly flummoxed at the notion of Americans trading in their precision-engineered Porsche sports cars for a crude SUV on an ox-cart suspension. It would be like asking one of them to trade in their uber-modern Stuttgart home for a yurt in the forest.

Obviously, the gap in purposes and price tags of the 718 twins and the Wrangler couldn't be more vast. Seemingly the only thing a Boxster and Wrangler have in common is the ability to remove their roofs. Consider this, however. While the cars themselves couldn't be any different, the people who buy them often do so for the same reason: to serve as a fun, third car. It isn't something for commuting or taking the kids the school. Much as someone drives a Boxster out into the country for a spirited drive on the weekend, so too does a Wrangler owner — they just get a bit muddier in the process.

Both vehicles also offer a distinctive fashion sense, and ultimately, I think that's where this information is most telling. The SUV craze isn't just about mom and dad figuring out that a Honda CR-V is more functional for their parenting lives than an Accord. It's as much about style, fashion and what they want to be seen in. It shouldn't be surprising, then, that the choice of weekend automotive toys is starting to skew in that direction as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the executives at other sports-car-selling companies are seeing similar conquest numbers.

Frankly, it doesn't seem like a trend that's likely to change. Myriad factors have led to millennials not being the most keen on driving. As they get older and finally (perhaps, maybe) have enough disposable income for a third car, a precision-engineered sports car probably won't be the most desirable choice. But a crude SUV on an ox-cart suspension that can help them escape traffic and head wherever they want into the great outdoors? That sounds about right.

Oh well, at least you can get a Wrangler with a manual.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
The owners wised up, the American roads are bad for performance cars. This is exactly why I'm looking at the JLURs and nothing else.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
IMO, that’s part of the reason SUV’s are so popular in this country because of the deplorable road conditions.

OP
OP
mazeppa

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I can attest to this. I did the very same thing 5 years ago when I sold my 911 for a Wrangler.
As thew old saying goes for boat ownership also applies to 911s.

The two happiest days in a 911 owner's life: the day you buy the 911, and the day you sell the 911.

Sponsored

MrSahara19

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited, 2017 Toyota Highlander
Just read a big article somewhere stating more and more muscle car owners are trading in for Jeeps - maybe the season just like motorcycles have in the summer or maybe more and more people are realizing the versatility of a Jeep and not for nothing the 2.0 is fast!

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I had to send that article to the wife. Told her I at least skipped the expensive Porsche purchase and just went directly to the Wrangler. Even with mods I'm not spending as much!

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
As thew old saying goes for boat ownership also applies to 911s.

The two happiest days in a 911 owner's life: the day you buy the 911, and the day you sell the 911.
I was actually sad the day I sold my flats boat as it meant I was leaving Fl and inshore fishing and heading back to VT. One of few exceptions to that saying.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
maybe the season just like motorcycles have in the summer or maybe more and more people are realizing the versatility of a Jeep and not for nothing the 2.0 is fast!

I can tell you for certain that muscle car owners are not buying a jeep to meet their speed addiction. To muscle car enthusiasts jeeps are very slow, 15s in the quarter mile is nothing.

I still have my muscle car but bought a jeep because they are fun. I also kinda got tired of the speed bug after 20 years.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Comparing any Wrangler to any Lotus is like, borrowing from another thread on this forum, comparing Monkeys and Gin.

Both vehicles are very different, very focused, very special. Mutual respect is the mantra here...

Harper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.myjeepadventures.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Black and Tan
Can confirm(ish). That's my 408 HP twin turbo V8 BMW 550 M Sport on the left that I'm saying goodbye to at 6:15 tomorrow, and that's my 2020 JL Black and Tan edition on the right. Could not be happier a week and a half into joining the Jeep family.
20190902_170107.jpg