GTI owner possibly returning to Jeep

TXGoose

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Hello Jeepers. As the title states I currently drive a GTI and I've been a Jeep owner in the past and I have been itching to return to the Jeep world. To make matters more tempting, we had family over and two have recently bought JLU's the past couple years.

My last Jeep was a '17 2 door soft top Sport pretty heavily modified. I have regretted selling the Jeep for a good while. It was simple, roll up windows and soft top. My GTI is "fun" in a different way but also missing things like not being a Jeep. I'm not a tuner guy so I don't care about tuning GTI like so many.

I drive solo 95% of the time outside of taking my kid to school and occasionally wife and kid. So, I'm pretty set on returning to a 2 door soft top. I like taking top down and have a garage to park at night.

My main question is, do I order new and pay $$ or buy a lower mileage JK '17 again and pay probably 25k+ easily? If I buy new it'll probably be base or Willy's Sport. Can't afford to do Rubi and when you option Sport S it's really pricey.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Welcome to the forum, Gary.

Buying new provides you with a warranty and thus peace of mind. Used vehicle price trends still haven't settled from the effects of the pandemic on general inventory levels, and of course there's also the matter of how well, or not, the prior owner(s) treated any used Jeep that otherwise meets your requirements.

There's a forum member who maintains a spreadsheet regarding those dealers who sell below MSRP. Consider having a look at it, and using the data to determine if there's a dealer who can put you into a Sport (no need to use the word base) or Willys that can be configured to your taste.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
It would be helpful to know if you plan on doing any off-roading at all, what options you want, planned modifications (if any), etc.

Basically, what are your goals for this Jeep?

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I would order new and get exactly what you want for below invoice. Not enough savings for me to consider looking at late used JK… Plus the JL is much nicer to live with.

I would look into 2.0 if you’re going auto. It would be really fun in the 2 door and still be fun in a big GTI kinda way.

OP
OP

TXGoose

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
Welcome to the forum, Gary.

Buying new provides you with a warranty and thus peace of mind. Used vehicle price trends still haven't settled from the effects of the pandemic on general inventory levels, and of course there's also the matter of how well, or not, the prior owner(s) treated any used Jeep that otherwise meets your requirements.

There's a forum member who maintains a spreadsheet regarding those dealers who sell below MSRP. Consider having a look at it, and using the data to determine if there's a dealer who can put you into a Sport (no need to use the word base) or Willys that can be configured to your taste.
Thank you, I appreciate the information. Seems like CarMax and Carvana have bought up most of the used market. I trust CarMax way more than Carvana. They also offer 5 year warranty but I feel it's cutting too close to new. Only benefit of CarMax is tax credit trade, convenience and they can get one anywhere in country. Also 30 days and you can have it privately inspected and return if not happy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TXGoose

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
I would order new and get exactly what you want for below invoice. Not enough savings for me to consider looking at late used JK… Plus the JL is much nicer to live with.

I would look into 2.0 if you’re going auto. It would be really fun in the 2 door and still be fun in a big GTI kinda way.
Oh, I know the JL is DEFINITELY nicer! My main hesitation going 2.0 is aux battery issues I've read a lot about and had friends tell me about and it's turbo. I said after GTI, I might move on from turbos due to carbon build up and more parts and issues, not as reliable long-term as naturally aspirated. I understand that is debatable and just my personal opinion.

Regarding what my goals are. Right now I just want to get back in a Jeep and then I can plan. I actually don't want to modify as much as I did my last Jeep. I ended up having regrets. I did aftermarket fender flares, lift, tires, wheels, tire carrier, tube steps, and more.

I really like the Willy's set up from the factory personally. I love the Rubi obviously but honestly don't need it and don't want to pay that much. I will off-road but it will be my daily. About 25 miles round trip, nothing too long. No rock crawling here overall.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Oh, I know the JL is DEFINITELY nicer! My main hesitation going 2.0 is aux battery issues I've read a lot about and had friends tell me about and it's turbo. I said after GTI, I might move on from turbos due to carbon build up and more parts and issues, not as reliable long-term as naturally aspirated. I understand that is debatable and just my personal opinion.

Regarding what my goals are. Right now I just want to get back in a Jeep and then I can plan. I actually don't want to modify as much as I did my last Jeep. I ended up having regrets. I did aftermarket fender flares, lift, tires, wheels, tire carrier, tube steps, and more.

I really like the Willy's set up from the factory personally. I love the Rubi obviously but honestly don't need it and don't want to pay that much. I will off-road but it will be my daily. About 25 miles round trip, nothing too long. No rock crawling here overall.
The 3.6 is great if you're looking to move away from turbos. I would probably shy away from the manual transmission in these, they're not very robust but the 8 speed automatic is unbelievable, far cry from the minivan spec unit in the JK. I went from an Audi DSG transmission to this and am very satisfied, it even pops on manual upshifts.

If I were you I'd look at a used ~2019 JL with low miles and see if you can get a good deal. I've seen base 2dr rubicons out there for tempting prices but the market is always changing. I'm not sure I'd go JK at this point.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Not too long ago I would have said go with a new vehicle because the prices of used vehicles was so inflated it made more sense to buy new. But the used market seems to be cooling off a bit, so you might find a better deal there.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Just be sure to check what a new one like you want will run. A base model can be had new for not much more than most 1-2 year old models (as they typically have more options-plain Sport ot Willy’s may be hard to find but could be ordered as YOU want.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Hello Jeepers. As the title states I currently drive a GTI and I've been a Jeep owner in the past and I have been itching to return to the Jeep world. To make matters more tempting, we had family over and two have recently bought JLU's the past couple years.

My last Jeep was a '17 2 door soft top Sport pretty heavily modified. I have regretted selling the Jeep for a good while. It was simple, roll up windows and soft top. My GTI is "fun" in a different way but also missing things like not being a Jeep. I'm not a tuner guy so I don't care about tuning GTI like so many.

I drive solo 95% of the time outside of taking my kid to school and occasionally wife and kid. So, I'm pretty set on returning to a 2 door soft top. I like taking top down and have a garage to park at night.

My main question is, do I order new and pay $$ or buy a lower mileage JK '17 again and pay probably 25k+ easily? If I buy new it'll probably be base or Willy's Sport. Can't afford to do Rubi and when you option Sport S it's really pricey.

Thanks in advance
I've had a mk6 GTI and still have a mk5.
The GTI is a different fun and mine has been paid off for some time. Can't part with it or my Jeep.
Shop around, I would recommend a Willys there are some good deals right now. You can get a base Rubicon for $40k if you look hard.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
If I were you I’d custom order a base Sport for in the low-$30k’s and enjoy the benefits of being the only owner with a warranty. Plus the JK sucks. If you enjoyed your JK you’re really going to love the JL; it’s better in every way especially the 8-speed transmission.

It sounds like you aren’t pressed for time so this is a perfect chance to shop around and get a great price.

Good luck! Keep us updated

OP
OP

TXGoose

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
I've had a mk6 GTI and still have a mk5.
The GTI is a different fun and mine has been paid off for some time. Can't part with it or my Jeep.
Shop around, I would recommend a Willys there are some good deals right now. You can get a base Rubicon for $40k if you look hard.
Nice! I'd love to be able to keep the GTI AND get a Jeep. Wife won't have it and honestly we have some other financial goals we are trying to achieve right now and that would be selfish of me even if she did say yes. My GTI was bought CPO and still has a good 50k warranty and 3.5 years remaining and I owe about 10k but have the funds to pay it off today. Just haven't because my rate is crazy low.

I also would have a hard time with these 2 vehicles at the same time due to huge aftermarket they both have.

OP
OP

TXGoose

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Volkswagen GTI
The 3.6 is great if you're looking to move away from turbos. I would probably shy away from the manual transmission in these, they're not very robust but the 8 speed automatic is unbelievable, far cry from the minivan spec unit in the JK. I went from an Audi DSG transmission to this and am very satisfied, it even pops on manual upshifts.

If I were you I'd look at a used ~2019 JL with low miles and see if you can get a good deal. I've seen base 2dr rubicons out there for tempting prices but the market is always changing. I'm not sure I'd go JK at this point.
Yeah, I actually drove a manual JL a couple years ago and honestly didn't care for it. Not what I would call engaging. I'll definitely go Auto and the 8 speed would most likely be a huge upgrade over old JK. I think I could return to JK if prices were about 8-10k less, but I don't think I can justify getting rid of the GTI for a JK at the current prices I am seeing.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
You are lucky in that you have a nice ride already and can wait to get your Jeep. Because of that I would check the link Heimker posted and get a new one under invoice. You get a warranty, a Jeep you know wasn't abused before you got it, and you can get exactly what you want.
Sponsored