Sponsored

Grounding a Teraflex aluminum rear passenger CB mount

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
So I'm setting up my jeep and I'd like to do a rear mount CB antenna. I garage my wheels, so I keep 2 antennas, long and short, for my radios. For CB I really like a 102" whip (on a beefy spring) when I'm on the trail, but mostly I run a 2' firestik (tuneable tip) around town so it's easy in/out of the garage. I'm considering fashioning a ground strap from the antenna to the tailgate bolt. I know I know, the tailgate is not optimal ground but I want to try it before I go running a strap to the frame.
Anyone have any experience grounding a Teraflex aluminum mount to where CB is happy?
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah aluminum won't give you the ground your looking for to get the SWR's at an acceptable level. If you have to mount it to aluminum I would put an ring terminal on the stud mount with a ground wire and snake it down to the frame somewhere accessible and bolt it down good.

without it it might work just ok for very short distances but it won't be right and the finals in the radio will burn out and you wont have any transmission only receive in it.