Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It will fit, Bag size is 58” which is just over 4 -1/2 feet. The weight is around 35 pounds, I wish I took a few pics of mine but it will set on the rear seat. Just seen you have a 2 door, mine had to lay kinda sizeways on the back seat. Sorry about that.
Mine is 56" and is supposedly the latest version that's 5" bigger than the initial one that TrailRecon has.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The SHIFTPOD2 has two vents that have drawstrings to accommodate various size AC ducts. Here's a review that mentions AC https://www.honeytrek.com/shiftpod-insulated-tent-burning-man/
Oh, ok. They don't offer an HVAC, but you can buy whatever and attach it.

Last night I was reading a college student's extensive experiments for cooling a ShiftPod and he made it clear that the various swamp coolers that people build for them are ineffective.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L

CrownRubicon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of air mattress is that?
$10 Walmart Special :)
I might eventually buy a good one but it was all built with scrap lumber for a proof of concept at the time.

Sponsored

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe Rubicon X (Anvil)
Occupation
Creative Director
Camping in the Jeep has really worked out well for me. The Deep Sleep mattress is a game changer. I have had a bad back most of my life and sleeping in the Jeep has been very comfortable with that product. Don't get me wrong this is car camping, there is a little bit of discomfort built into the game, especially in your 50's, but overall its been really good.

As most of you know camping can involve a good amount of tweaking and refining to get weight/size, functionality and comfort nailed down; especially as new products come out every 15 minutes. After a few cold nights last year we are now using an electric mattress pad/sleeping bag liner for warmth. I explored a ton of heating options and this one just made the most sense for my needs especially as I do not winter camp; shoulder seasons yes but not the winter. Too busy skiing to camp.

We use a little pop up tent for changing/bathroom activities but this year I am trying out an annex room attached to our awning. This will give us an 8x8 room for privacy, sleeping or guests. The room seems fairly easy to pack/store and of course we don't need to bring it at all to have a place to sleep.

The only time the awning room won't be ideal is when we want to disconnect from the awning to take the jeep somewhere, but I am working on a solution.

Everything else has been specifically designed/thought out to be easy to pack, set up and lock if necessary so clearing out the jeep isn't a chore.

So at the end of the day I guess we have the best of both worlds; a secure and comfortable place to sleep with no real setup and a "family room" which involves a little setup for when we need it/want it.
As someone getting closer to 60 than 50 I can relate. I'm considering a walled awning room set up. Would love to hear how it works for you.

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
This (tent camping) is a really interesting topic to me as we've tent camped forever and the issues for me are (1) staying warm and (2) sleeping comfort.

We use an air mattress and in the cold it requires thick blanket(s) under us to block the cold (we use sleeping bags on top with a blanket over us). I've used foam pads (too bulky to carry), insulated/inflated pads (too thin). Been thinking about cots but they're really bulky and still cold underneath.

A heater would be ideal but haven't found the right solution for remote tent camping. So maybe a Shiftpod would be much better due to its insulation? Other ideas?
I highly recommend using both an insulated air mattress and insulated foam pad. The key for me has been to reduce the heat conduction into the ground.

I do a fair amount of snow camping, backcountry ski touring, and backpacking. Despite a -20F bag, being cold was a problem until I started using both an air mattress and a metalized foam pad. The air mattress' insulation value (look for R>6) adds to the foam pad (~2) to provide necessary warmth. I can stay warm down into negative single digits with this setup. The foam pads fit nicely between the sport bar and hardtop on my Jeep; I stack 3 of them in this spot utilizing otherwise wasted space.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ground tent. less to take out and leave on the ground before getting to lay your head down

Sponsored

OP
OP
AndrewHW

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I highly recommend using both an insulated air mattress and insulated foam pad. The key for me has been to reduce the heat conduction into the ground.

I do a fair amount of snow camping, backcountry ski touring, and backpacking. Despite a -20F bag, being cold was a problem until I started using both an air mattress and a metalized foam pad. The air mattress' insulation value (look for R>6) adds to the foam pad (~2) to provide necessary warmth. I can stay warm down into negative single digits with this setup. The foam pads fit nicely between the sport bar and hardtop on my Jeep; I stack 3 of them in this spot utilizing otherwise wasted space.
Warmth is a large factor in making my decision. I, like most people, hate being cold when I sleep. I read so many things that said you lose a lot of warmth into the ground. Needing to bring extra things like an air mattress and a foam bad as opposed to just one of those.

swang

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Has anyone ever slept on the Deep Sleep air mattress in a ground tent? Just wondering if I could use it both in the Jeep and on the ground.

4a4c55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, M3, JLU
Has anyone ever slept on the Deep Sleep air mattress in a ground tent? Just wondering if I could use it both in the Jeep and on the ground.
I don't have one -- should be fine on the ground, tho. Except that you'll want to put something under it to reduce the chance of punctures. And the description of the product doesn't say much about insulation value, so it might not be great for cold ground.
Sponsored