Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Love the Shiftpod but too big and heavy… I just pulled the trigger on the Heimplanet Fistral. Only 6lbs… inflatable and Go to their website and save yourself a couple hundred bucks plus vs. Amazon pricing. There is also a 10% discount code.

I’m all about weight and miniaturization… this fits the bill.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Sleep in a tent, enjoy nature :)

This Coleman tent fits PERFECTLY in the storage space of a 2 door with the backseat in and up:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E4AVY8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Coleman cot also fits perfectly, I nestle it right on top of the tent when loading things up:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003696236?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I pair that with these two because I'm a side sleeper:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LNYPG7Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YP8MLNN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I sleep like a baby, everything listed above plus my summer sleeping bag fits in the 2 door storage area. The tent sets up incredibly quickly, probably much less time than it would take to figure out how to get changed in such a confined space if you were camping in your jeep lol.

Sponsored

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Camping in the Jeep has really worked out well for me. The Deep Sleep mattress is a game changer. I have had a bad back most of my life and sleeping in the Jeep has been very comfortable with that product. Don't get me wrong this is car camping, there is a little bit of discomfort built into the game, especially in your 50's, but overall its been really good.

As most of you know camping can involve a good amount of tweaking and refining to get weight/size, functionality and comfort nailed down; especially as new products come out every 15 minutes. After a few cold nights last year we are now using an electric mattress pad/sleeping bag liner for warmth. I explored a ton of heating options and this one just made the most sense for my needs especially as I do not winter camp; shoulder seasons yes but not the winter. Too busy skiing to camp.

We use a little pop up tent for changing/bathroom activities but this year I am trying out an annex room attached to our awning. This will give us an 8x8 room for privacy, sleeping or guests. The room seems fairly easy to pack/store and of course we don't need to bring it at all to have a place to sleep.

The only time the awning room won't be ideal is when we want to disconnect from the awning to take the jeep somewhere, but I am working on a solution.

Everything else has been specifically designed/thought out to be easy to pack, set up and lock if necessary so clearing out the jeep isn't a chore.

So at the end of the day I guess we have the best of both worlds; a secure and comfortable place to sleep with no real setup and a "family room" which involves a little setup for when we need it/want it.

Last edited:

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Love the Shiftpod but too big and heavy… I just pulled the trigger on the Heimplanet Fistral. Only 6lbs… inflatable and Go to their website and save yourself a couple hundred bucks plus vs. Amazon pricing. There is also a 10% discount code.

I’m all about weight and miniaturization… this fits the bill.
I love the shiftpod, its warm when its cold. I have the mini latest version. Its not really that heavy and can set behind the front seats on the floor. I have a couple of backpacking tents but they suck if you have 2 people in them and they really suck when its cold.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Camping in the Jeep has really worked out well for me. The Deep Sleep mattress is a game changer. I have had a bad back most of my life and sleeping in the Jeep has been very comfortable with that product. Don't get me wrong this is car camping, there is a little bit of discomfort built into the game, especially in your 50's, but overall its been really good.

As most of you know camping can involve a good amount of tweaking and refining to get weight/size, functionality and comfort nailed down; especially as new products come out every 15 minutes. After a few cold nights last year we are now using an electric mattress pad/sleeping bag liner for warmth. I explored a ton of heating options and this one just made the most sense for my needs especially as I do not winter camp; shoulder seasons yes but not the winter. Too busy skiing to camp.

We use a little pop up tent for changing/bathroom activities but this year I am trying out an annex room attached to our awning. This will give us an 8x8 room for privacy, sleeping or guests. The room seems fairly easy to pack/store and of course we don't need to bring it at all to have a place to sleep.

The only time the awning room won't be ideal is when we want to disconnect from the awning to take the jeep somewhere, but I am working on a solution.

Everything else has been specifically designed/thought out to be easy to pack, set up and lock if necessary so clearing out the jeep isn't a chore.

So at the end of the day I guess we have the best of both worlds; a secure and comfortable place to sleep with no real setup and a "family room" which involves a little setup for when we need it/want it.
I have to ask, if you sleep in the jeep. What do you do with all your stuff?

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
This (tent camping) is a really interesting topic to me as we've tent camped forever and the issues for me are (1) staying warm and (2) sleeping comfort.

We use an air mattress and in the cold it requires thick blanket(s) under us to block the cold (we use sleeping bags on top with a blanket over us). I've used foam pads (too bulky to carry), insulated/inflated pads (too thin). Been thinking about cots but they're really bulky and still cold underneath.

A heater would be ideal but haven't found the right solution for remote tent camping. So maybe a Shiftpod would be much better due to its insulation? Other ideas?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I love the shiftpod, its warm when its cold. I have the mini latest version. Its not really that heavy and can set behind the front seats on the floor. I have a couple of backpacking tents but they suck if you have 2 people in them and they really suck when its cold.
Hey Brian, the ShiftpodIII Mini dimensions say it is 60in long (packed). This doesn't appear as if it would fit in my 2dr (backseat removed). Also says weight is about 34lb. Can you confirm these specs?

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This (tent camping) is a really interesting topic to me as we've tent camped forever and the issues for me are (1) staying warm and (2) sleeping comfort.

We use an air mattress and in the cold it requires thick blanket(s) under us to block the cold (we use sleeping bags on top with a blanket over us). I've used foam pads (too bulky to carry), insulated/inflated pads (too thin). Been thinking about cots but they're really bulky and still cold underneath.

A heater would be ideal but haven't found the right solution for remote tent camping. So maybe a Shiftpod would be much better due to its insulation? Other ideas?
How cold are you talking? I’m surprised the thin insulation pad didn’t help.

I’ve been comfortable in the teens-twenties Fahrenheit range with just a thin sleeping pad and my sleeping bag system which consists of a heavy winter bag, a light summer bag, and a waterproof bivvy cover.

You’re right- cots probably wouldn’t be a good solution.

Some kind of heater would probably be your best bet but I’ve never bought or used one.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Hey Brian, the ShiftpodIII Mini dimensions say it is 60in long (packed). This doesn't appear as if it would fit in my 2dr (backseat removed). Also says weight is about 34lb. Can you confirm these specs?
It will fit, Bag size is 58” which is just over 4 -1/2 feet. The weight is around 35 pounds, I wish I took a few pics of mine but it will set on the rear seat. Just seen you have a 2 door, mine had to lay kinda sizeways on the back seat. Sorry about that.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

Here is a video

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I have to ask, if you sleep in the jeep. What do you do with all your stuff?
Stuff is chairs, cooking supplies, equipment and food which all gets set up and left outside. Utensils, axes, knives, misc. relatively expensive stuff sits in cargo boxes which go outside and can be locked if necessary.

Clothing gets transported on roof rack in a dry bag and then set up in drawers on passenger seat. Power (goal Zero) is set on center console table between the font seats.

Toilet is in mini pop up tent next to jeep. Whiskey is kept close by under careful watch. Bottom line the jeep is empty from the front seats back except for the air mattress, pillows and blankets.

The Jeep has has a cargo basket up top and a hitch cargo rack on the back so transport/storage is relatively easy.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I measured it and convinced myself that it wouldn't fit. It does...that's awesome!
Sponsored