Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Thank you all for the replies. It looks to be about 50/50 which certainly hasn’t helped the decision making! For now, I purchased that $50 tent from REI that someone suggested and will give it a try for a couple of trips. Being able to leave everything in the Jeep seems more appealing to me at the moment.
The answer lies within yourself. The reason I prefer a tent is I get satisfaction out of using tools that were well designed for the job they are doing. That is why I am a Jeep owner because I get the satisfaction of driving into the back country to beautiful places where the wild trout live. A tent and the camping accessories that I bought to tailor my camping experience to my needs … I do find that enjoyable.
Sponsored

Nbshelton729

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
My wife and I were having the same struggle, but decided to build out our Jeep into a camper of sorts took our the rear seats and built a platform that is the width of a double bed at the top and a twin bed at the bottom plenty of room for both of us and a 6 footer could fit.

added In the slide out stove and fridge as well!

having trouble now figuring out how to have an awning attached.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep F5C22329-EB0F-4742-94AF-CB666FF80531
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 335E436A-8119-4415-B2BC-BEEC4FACF735
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 15EC7F67-3DB3-4E68-BF46-0B8A216C88C4

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
I tried to sleep in a variety of Jeeps and found out quickly I prefer to stand up when I get dressed in the morning. I also like to sleep off the ground on a cot.

This tent was $199 from Acadamy Sports (Magellon brand), which is a copy of the Gazelle. It sets up in 5 minutes and you can walk around inside. Also converts to almost a full screen room. I bring a space heater for winter camping and can get the inside of tent to 60 degrees in the morning when it is 25 degrees outside. Bonus is I can cook inside if the weather is bad as long as I have electric hookups.

KevinC

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 1679328012465
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 1679327974646

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Which deck system did you go with?
Hooke Road pillar mounted tray, keep my gear in industrial stacking totes held captive under tray-self securing and removable.
I use a small cooler to fill in head gap behind front seat, 5" firm density foam fills other small gaps. Makes ± 6'-2" of length.
Bonus is you can sit up and use deck as a counter, which I have had to do when rained in, setting up a tent in the rain is less than fun.

For me tents are great for longer stays, one nighters, not as much.

IMG_2756.JPG

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been "TENT" camping since the 1950's--always in the SIERRAS--JEEPS and TRAILERS-UP UNTILL ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO--we met two Black bears on two separate occasions and both were a little upset because we had LOCKED all the food away !

They both BUMPED the tents "AT 2AM" no further damage, but it convinced my wife that the only way to camp in the NORTHERN SIERRAS, was IN THE JEEP--steel walls and security !

Of course it all depends on WHERE YOU CAMP, but we're too crazy about the LAKE TROUT in BOWMAN/SAWMILL/GOLD lake and the sleeping in the JEEP is a minor inconvenience !

I think that BEARS/CATS are more PREDATOR now a days than there were years ago--so KNOW YOUR CAMPING AREA ! and lay the rear seats down and use the right mattress/bag--ENJOY

JIMBO

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
+1 on tent

I always hate sleeping in cars as it gets very stuffy. Idling your engine for hours on end isn't very good for it either just to keep air flowing. I'm getting older and now have 3 different air mattresses of different sizes given which of the 4 tents we are using for our trip.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 1679363557399

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
On a regular basis - tent. Love our Gazelle tent, it's held up great over the last two years in all types of terrain and desert wind. We have the Gazelle T4 (it's rarely just me), which will just fit between the driver seat and the tailgate by laying down the 40% of the back seat. A T3 is a little smaller and would fit better. They aren't light by any means, but the super easy and fast set up makes up for it.
Think it'll fit on my roofrack?

20230316_150252.jpg

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Think it'll fit on my roofrack?

20230316_150252.jpg
“Our most popular tent, the T4 Hub Tent, is the ultimate pop-up camping tent. This tent spaciously provides 61 square feet of floor space and stands 78” tall ...
FLOOR DIMENSIONS: 94" x 94"
COLLAPSED SIZE: 8" x 8" x 67.5"

We have the screen version. If you fold the driver side back seat down it will fit inside lengthwise with a few inches to spare. It doesn’t look like that roof rack is quite long enough. Maybe if you go diagonal.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
I tried to sleep in a variety of Jeeps and found out quickly I prefer to stand up when I get dressed in the morning. I also like to sleep off the ground on a cot.

This tent was $199 from Acadamy Sports (Magellon brand), which is a copy of the Gazelle. It sets up in 5 minutes and you can walk around inside. Also converts to almost a full screen room. I bring a space heater for winter camping and can get the inside of tent to 60 degrees in the morning when it is 25 degrees outside. Bonus is I can cook inside if the weather is bad as long as I have electric hookups.

KevinC

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 20230316_150252
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 20230316_150252
Hey @KevinC11 - like the tent - will check it out online. What can you tell me/us about the heater you're using? I've been looking for a heater that is safe to use in the tent - what are you using?

KevinC11

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys, 2023 JT Mojave
Occupation
Gunsmith/EMT
Hey @KevinC11 - like the tent - will check it out online. What can you tell me/us about the heater you're using? I've been looking for a heater that is safe to use in the tent - what are you using?
I should have mentioned that I only use a heater when I'm at a campground with water and electricity. I found this one at an estate sale for $5.00. It has a safety feature that it will shut off if tipped or placed at an angle.

Amazon.com: Lasko Oscillating Digital Ceramic Tower Heater for Home with Adjustable Thermostat, Timer and Remote Control, 23 Inches, 1500W, Silver, 755320 : Home & Kitchen

KevinC

Sponsored

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should have mentioned that I only use a heater when I'm at a campground with water and electricity. I found this one at an estate sale for $5.00. It has a safety feature that it will shut off if tipped or placed at an angle.

Amazon.com: Lasko Oscillating Digital Ceramic Tower Heater for Home with Adjustable Thermostat, Timer and Remote Control, 23 Inches, 1500W, Silver, 755320 : Home & Kitchen

KevinC
Thanks for letting me know. An electric heater like that would be great if I/we had access to 110v power. A heater like that is more than my Jackery could handle.

The search continues for a tent heater...

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
I've been "TENT" camping since the 1950's--always in the SIERRAS--JEEPS and TRAILERS-UP UNTILL ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO--we met two Black bears on two separate occasions and both were a little upset because we had LOCKED all the food away !

They both BUMPED the tents "AT 2AM" no further damage, but it convinced my wife that the only way to camp in the NORTHERN SIERRAS, was IN THE JEEP--steel walls and security !

Of course it all depends on WHERE YOU CAMP, but we're too crazy about the LAKE TROUT in BOWMAN/SAWMILL/GOLD lake and the sleeping in the JEEP is a minor inconvenience !

I think that BEARS/CATS are more PREDATOR now a days than there were years ago--so KNOW YOUR CAMPING AREA ! and lay the rear seats down and use the right mattress/bag--ENJOY

JIMBO
You Smart Man!

Catdom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Thanks for letting me know. An electric heater like that would be great if I/we had access to 110v power. A heater like that is more than my Jackery could handle.

The search continues for a tent heater...
Mr Heater on Amazon.
70 bucks runs on 1 lb propane cans. Auto shutoff protection from oxygen depletion. Rated indoor safe, minimum ventilationneeded (4 sq in.) . 100 sq ft coverage.
3 hours avg run time per canister. 5.6 hours on low heat, 2 on high.
Plenty of others on that site running off propane canisters, some with even more btus and coverage area. Some 200, up to 450 sq feet.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mr Heater on Amazon.
70 bucks runs on 1 lb propane cans. Auto shutoff protection from oxygen depletion. Rated indoor safe, minimum ventilationneeded (4 sq in.) . 100 sq ft coverage.
3 hours avg run time per canister. 5.6 hours on low heat, 2 on high.
Plenty of others on that site running off propane canisters, some with even more btus and coverage area. Some 200, up to 450 sq feet.
Gotta link?
Sponsored