Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
I sleep in Jeep over a 8" platform. Reason: if I'm traveling across country, easy to sleep in rest area, etc. No need to find camp site. More comfortable, quicker in morning to get to trails.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
For me, a ground tent without question. Currently in an REI Kingdom 4 person tent. Plenty of space for a queen size air mattress and all my gear inside at night. Took a solo, roughly 2000 mile over the better part of a week, trip down to New Mexico and Texas last fall. Even with the back seat in and tumbled I was surprised at how well I was able to live out of my two door.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep PXL_20221018_235046207

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
Ground tent. I’m 6’3” in a 2door. I just picked up a new mountain hardware mineral king 3 person. Takes all of 5mins to setup and is a little bigger than a breadloaf when packed. I do keep a couple goose down Rumple blankets in the Jeep at all times for getting wrapped up in while driving around town with the doors and top off in winter. Tip for all air mattress types out there. Use a closed cell foam pad on top of the air mattress and you’ll never be cold sleeping again.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am currently using a ground tent that hooks to the Jeep. I can stand up right in the tent. I set up the tent, open the rear tailgate and window unload my gear into the tent and still have plenty of room to sit and cook in the tent if needed and sleep in the tent with a deep sleep air mattress..
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 8F6BF9A6-3E70-4F80-AA41-D21FDB87AFD7
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep D450E940-C494-4437-A39A-BE08D0037B1E
Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep A7336E62-67CA-46D7-B5DF-7E01C089A8F1

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Ground tent for now, if only because my lankiness compels too many compromises for comfort, even in a JLU. I may change my mind at some point, but for now, my billet gets staked to the ground.

The photo's perspective understates the tent's actual size a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep My site

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If it's just going to be you, I'd go with sleeping in the Jeep. As others have pointed out, you really only need half of the Jeep available, so shove all your gear to one side. Additionally, as others mentioned, this eliminates the need to find an actual campsite - you can pull over nearly anywhere and "set up camp".

The downsides are that it's more cramped than a tent, and regulating the temperature in the Jeep is tough. I would recommend mesh window nets to allow some cross-breeze, and maybe a battery-powered fan you can hang to help move the air around.

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
I carry too much junk to sleep in the vehicle. I'd probably go for of those cot/tent things.
Tent Cots, Original Tent Cot, Off-the-Ground Tents, Cots - Kamp-Rite (kamprite.com)

It's never just me though so I went with a canvas tent. Very durable but you pay for that with kinda heavy. Gazelle tents go up extremely fast but are lighweight and I question how long it would last.
I have been using my Gazelle T3X for a couple years now and it is durable and does great in some crazy desert winds. Only issue I have had was my fault, a 2"x3" patch needed after the tent went rolling across the desert...my fault since I opened it in wind before staking...whoopsies

FWIW Gazelles don't pack up small and are not what I would call "light", but they are fast and durable.

sdjeppa

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2022 JLURXR
On a regular basis - tent. Love our Gazelle tent, it's held up great over the last two years in all types of terrain and desert wind. We have the Gazelle T4 (it's rarely just me), which will just fit between the driver seat and the tailgate by laying down the 40% of the back seat. A T3 is a little smaller and would fit better. They aren't light by any means, but the super easy and fast set up makes up for it.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I have been using my Gazelle T3X for a couple years now and it is durable and does great in some crazy desert winds. Only issue I have had was my fault, a 2"x3" patch needed after the tent went rolling across the desert...my fault since I opened it in wind before staking...whoopsies

FWIW Gazelles don't pack up small and are not what I would call "light", but they are fast and durable.
well ok, but compared to a 90 lb canvas tent they're lighter. ; )

Alpha Kilo Bow Tent » Bushtec Adventure (bushtecadventureusa.com)

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I like this thread. Well, I’m going to TRY sleeping in the Jeep. I’m only 5’11” but have the Outback Trailgater so that takes away a couple inches I think when I tried laying down in the back passenger side. My head hangs over the top of the passenger back seat so I roughed out a simple platform to add to the back of the seat. Then I added a couple of folding legs and it’s attached via two 1 3/4” hose clamps to the car seat tether. I put some hose on the tether bar to increase the diameter a bit and along provide some cushion that would provide some clamping load.

I could make one that’s wider and goes over to the driver side back seat but I’m trying to keep things minimal. Without the legs, I was able to fold up and lock the seat. I’m not sure the legs are needed really but I plan to leave it in place and and didn’t want excessive force on the car seat tether anchor point.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep CB9B7C30-D79C-40D7-B8EF-7D3765977BD7

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 397A6D7D-AE17-45CB-B7A5-3072CE52C4BF

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I’m 6’2” and have a 2dr so no good option other than ground tent. I am very sensitive to carrying too much weight and space is limited. This is on my dream/wish list. Expensive but super light, small package, and easy to set up. Especially if you have onboard air. Looks to be a high quality product. Would love to hear from anyone that has one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z4KS2P...colid=31XGZYX9AVZ7D&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Devil Dog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2016 JKU, 2023 Rubicon 392
Ground tent for now, if only because my lankiness compels too many compromises for comfort, even in a JLU. I may change my mind at some point, but for now, my billet gets staked to the ground.

The photo's perspective understates the tent's actual size a bit.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ground tent vs sleeping in jeep 397A6D7D-AE17-45CB-B7A5-3072CE52C4BF
Let's see more pics of the Ural!

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
For me with a 2-door I think I'd have to split the difference and get one of those SUV tents that fits around the rear of the Jeep.
Sponsored