First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Yes, I totally get that. I guess it's just that I avoid official campgrounds as much as possible so it's not something that's on my radar. But when there is a concern about losing the site, this does the trick...https://www.nemoequipment.com/product/heliopolis/
Who needs this? :CWL: I go out backpacking in the backcountry for days on end without a bath/shower. Yes, I'm gross but thats the hiker's life; everything I need for 5 days strapped on a pack to my back. Please dont take that personally, its just a joke. But I do go out and not shower for 5 days. If I'm near a stream I will wet a cloth and clean up, with environmentally safe soap of course.

Anyway, I just got my first Jeep so incorporating "overland camping' to my backpacking seems like a no-brainer. I cant justify spending mucho dinero on a rooftop rig. Now if I were someplace that doesn't have tree (I'm a hammock camper) I might have to get me something like this:
https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc...b1Q2jlLeCX0aX8VneFXxc8COJyf55_UxoC4nwQAvD_BwE

If push comes to shove I also have my two person tent, which really only sleeps one nicely. Backpacking doesn't cater to creature comforts and that's how I roll, at least solo. My wife's idea of roughing it is staying at a lower-mid price hotel. I will say that overland camping will allow me to carry things I wouldn't normally carry, like extra water, but I'd still take along my water purification devices in case of emergency.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
yeah that’s kind of the idea, however since the “overlanding” craze it’s hard to find good deals on those trailers. Keeping my eye out for one, have welder in hand haha
I agree. I've been looking just recently and it seems like you cant find any under 1K. and those that are close require some good maintenance done.

Last edited:

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
You can go even lighter an more streamlined. There are hammocks for on top and inside your Jeep
Look up Jammock :)
Yeah, I've seen them, but I do like my Hennessy Hammock which is basically a tent suspended by trees.

ab8483f8-7e91-4769-9e13-379d57921935.__CR15,0,1051,650_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I like elevated sleeping. Would probably do the Jammock thing. But what about a ground tent that pitches on the rooftop? I do not want a bunch of mass on the top and certainly not one that is a foot high when stowed.

a foldable platform that goes on the roof rack, and a 5x7 tent secured to the rack? I am getting a 2-door so I’m just now looking into this. Am I dreaming?

Sponsored

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I like elevated sleeping. Would probably do the Jammock thing. But what about a ground tent that pitches on the rooftop? I do not want a bunch of mass on the top and certainly not one that is a foot high when stowed.

a foldable platform that goes on the roof rack, and a 5x7 tent secured to the rack? I am getting a 2-door so I’m just now looking into this. Am I dreaming?
Definitely doable :)

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Yeah I think I’ll just do the hammock tied with one end to the Yeep, the other to a tree.

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I started to weigh all the stuff i carry in my Jeep in preparation for a longer trip. With the 2 door you think about weight and space.

Cheesuz the pounds add up quickly when you add the air inflator, recovery gear bag, necessary tools, water, and cooler. I’m at 150 Lbs right out of the gate.

Happily, from moto camping days, where you learn to live with 50lbs max of gear on your 250cc dual sport, my camping setup is the lightest. An Exped mattress and a Big Agnes sleeping bag and a camp pillow and maybe that’s 8 lbs. A Kermit chair is another 2 lbs.

I use a Snopeak titanium mess kit, a Jet Boil and MSR universal stove, and if I am feeling like it, a discada cook setup and an MSI chefs kit. Vacuum seal the food, ice in a smaller Grizzly cooler, and other than worrying about gas cans and water, I am set. I have 2 pairs of LD Ryder undergarments which can rinse and wash clean and dry, and wear REI convertible cargo pants, so luggage is small overhead bag.

The Outback trailgator takes care of the table and cutting board - no need for a camp kitchen.

If you can Overland light, that’s the real art. I love the massive setups I see On YouTube but if I want to comfort camp, I tow the Airstream.

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
I started to weigh all the stuff i carry in my Jeep in preparation for a longer trip. With the 2 door you think about weight and space.

Cheesuz the pounds add up quickly when you add the air inflator, recovery gear bag, necessary tools, water, and cooler. I’m at 150 Lbs right out of the gate.

Happily, from moto camping days, where you learn to live with 50lbs max of gear on your 250cc dual sport, my camping setup is the lightest. An Exped mattress and a Big Agnes sleeping bag and a camp pillow and maybe that’s 8 lbs. A Kermit chair is another 2 lbs.

I use a Snopeak titanium mess kit, a Jet Boil and MSR universal stove, and if I am feeling like it, a discada cook setup and an MSI chefs kit. Vacuum seal the food, ice in a smaller Grizzly cooler, and other than worrying about gas cans and water, I am set. I have 2 pairs of LD Ryder undergarments which can rinse and wash clean and dry, and wear REI convertible cargo pants, so luggage is small overhead bag.

The Outback trailgator takes care of the table and cutting board - no need for a camp kitchen.

If you can Overland light, that’s the real art. I love the massive setups I see On YouTube but if I want to comfort camp, I tow the Airstream.
I like your approach, it's become somewhat of an obsession for us, once we started simplifying and shedding weight. It seems the lighter we pack the more enjoyable it is.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I like your approach, it's become somewhat of an obsession for us, once we started simplifying and shedding weight. It seems the lighter we pack the more enjoyable it is.
The ultra-light backpacking world is the same way -- until you realize that living off of fritos and snickers gets disgusting even if it packs a very high number of calories per ounce. Then weight starts creeping back in.

Sponsored

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
The ultra-light backpacking world is the same way -- until you realize that living off of fritos and snickers gets disgusting even if it packs a very high number of calories per ounce. Then weight starts creeping back in.
That's funny, I can see that happening. I have not done any backpacking yet, but it's on my list. Retirement is only a decade away!

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a relatively new RTT owner, but here's my list of pros/cons:

Pros:
-being off the ground
-built-in mattress
-relatively easy setup
-usually packed with bells & whistles (annexes, shoebags, led lighting, etc.)
-adult treehouses are awesome

Cons:
-price
-requires a roof rack
-setup/takedown can be daunting the first few times
-if you have a large dog, it's an issue

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Which did you go with? Even though I love my backpacking tents and hammocks, the reasons you listed have me thinking about a RTT. I'm eyeing CVT's Freedom Edition (USA-made).

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess i have been having the same issues forever.... Don't like the money issue with RTT but like being off the ground and ability to look around.... The issue with a rack suitable for the Jeep then the issue of tent and weight... constant struggle ...... Life

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
A cot tent like this one is my option for off the ground, but not on the vehicle. I don't like at all the high center of gravity that a RTT creates.

As far as quick setup... I never got the point... I'm vacationing, enjoying camping and nature. Why would I be in a hurry?
Sponsored