Ground clearance

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
That looks pretty cool, they make it for jl?
That is pretty cool. I'm guessing the price tag isn't as appealing as the product though.
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Well, not to poke the bear, but the lowest point on my frame rails was around 14", which is well above the differential. It was high enough that I didn't even bother with an accurate measurement. The cross member is actually lower at 12" (which makes sense, since it's mounted to the bottom of the rails). However that's all still above the differential's lowest point. So technically speaking, the differential does seem to be the lowest component, with the obvious exception of the shock mounts, control arms, etc. that are actually connected to the wheel assembly.
I think the real issue is breakover angle. I havent measure other vehicles but i'd bet a goodly sum of money that it's best in class at least in the 4 door model, the 2 door has no competitors.

IMO the real complaint should be the lame cross members, jeep should have their arse kicked on that.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Well, anecdotal....but my 4Runner sat at over 16" at the frame rail at stock height with the largest offered factory tire that was a 31".

Before some of you get started, yes...it has lower hanging components in other areas....but their LOCATION in the overall chassis makes them less of an issue; in much the same way that line selection really negates the differential hanging down lower than other components. In other words, driving ability coupled with better engineering can overcome a lot of deficits b/c you can work the low points around the obstacles. With breakover, it's really not something you can work around on a lot of obstacles.

Most of you seem very unfamiliar with why offroad chassis are designed the way they are....if you did, you'd understand why boat siding a Jeep (or a buggy chassis) is so beneficial. But then, you'd also get why people who build those vehicles to travel over extreme terrain sometimes utilize a V shaped hull or "basket" under the frame rails to not only mount suspension links but to house the lower hanging drive train components.

In short, the people bagging on my comments about the low frame rail height on pretty much all Jeeps since even the CJ (which was made up for in large part by the shorter wheelbase) don't know what they don't know. So, I will benevolently take no offense to your ignorance on the subject, LOL. :LOL:
My son just arrived with his 97. I measured 15.5 with stock tires 265's ?? and like you said lots of low hanging vulnerable stuff and a quick measurement of 12. I'd much rather wheel my rubi breakover angle vs breakover angle. Not to mention driving the rubi period and I love that toyota. lol

Engineering vs engineering really? Toy IFS, BIG ass departure angle, not something you can work around either or lame IFS. A shame, toyota could do so much better. Besides, wonder what a this millennium toy frame rails measure at? lol

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You guys don't really wheel much obviously. I would absolutely love to take you guys on a trail ride.

Cue the "I don't rockcrawl" whining, LOL. :CWL:
Probably not intended for me, but no, I don't rock crawl. I've got no intention to, never had, and probably never will. As for trail rides. I've been down plenty of trails, BUT they're light/mild trails. I'm most definitely not an extreme off-roader, and would never imply to be one. My Jeep is plenty capable off road in its stock configuration for my type of use. There's a reason I got a Sahara instead of a Rubicon
For some of you a matter of an inch here, or improved angle there is important. For those people, I'd also assume you're running some sort of armor under the Jeep too. Factory skid plates are fine for someone like me, but if you're doing stuff where these dimensions really matter (other than a topic of discussion on a random thread) you're probably not stock any more anyway when it comes to suspension or protection.

....I work in a world of tenths or tighter tolerances (.0001)....trust me, nothing is "exact". ;)
Ah, my former life before I changed careers. It was great work, and once you get used to working in dimensions so accurate that the temperature affects them, modifying stuff on a Jeep seems easy. The crazy thing is that some government jobs have to be measured with a CMM in a temperature controlled room where "tenths" are an open tolerance. So you're absolutely right that nothing is "exact", but I think for the height of a Jeep 1/16" is probably more than accurate enough.

I think the real issue is breakover angle.....
Absolutely.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Probably not intended for me, but no, I don't rock crawl. I've got no intention to, never had, and probably never will. As for trail rides. I've been down plenty of trails, BUT they're light/mild trails. I'm most definitely not an extreme off-roader, and would never imply to be one. My Jeep is plenty capable off road in its stock configuration for my type of use. There's a reason I got a Sahara instead of a Rubicon
For some of you a matter of an inch here, or improved angle there is important. For those people, I'd also assume you're running some sort of armor under the Jeep too. Factory skid plates are fine for someone like me, but if you're doing stuff where these dimensions really matter (other than a topic of discussion on a random thread) you're probably not stock any more anyway when it comes to suspension or protection.

Ah, my former life before I changed careers. It was great work, and once you get used to working in dimensions so accurate that the temperature affects them, modifying stuff on a Jeep seems easy. The crazy thing is that some government jobs have to be measured with a CMM in a temperature controlled room where "tenths" are an open tolerance. So you're absolutely right that nothing is "exact", but I think for the height of a Jeep 1/16" is probably more than accurate enough.

Absolutely.
Same here. I did the hard core stuff and now done with it. I will be doing some moderate stuff so my jeep will be set up reasonably well. I will be doing stuff like the rubicon and golden spike, nothing much more then that. The better set up JL's are just killing it on the extreme trail so bagging on the vehicle is kind of funny.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I've always read that ground clearance is ground to lowest point - which is your pumpkins. For my Jeep with 35" tires (35 psi) and no lift, that is 11". Stock I'm supposed to be 10", but that is with 31.5" tires. By my reckoning I'm short 3/4".

My HANKOOKS are 35", but with 30 psi they usually run at 341/2"--
By measurement and by calculation your 35s are closer to 33s at full psi.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Mine measures 10-1/2" on the front and 10-1/8" on the back. Pretty much the same as yours COSJL.
With all the chop-busting in this thread, I am surprised everyone gave Shots a free pass on this comment...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has made me curious about how much air is under my diffs with the new 38's. Can't measure now because I'm parked in a gravel courtyard, but I'll have to measure when my new arb covers arrive.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
With all the chop-busting in this thread, I am surprised everyone gave Shots a free pass on this comment...
Shhhh, just sneaking in under the radar over here. :bandit:
Sponsored