Sponsored

GRMS Radios which is best BTECH 50 watt or Midland 40 watt?

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I bought a Wouxun KG-935G handheld, and I was (and continue to be) floored at the quality, capability, and support.

I was able to "borrow" a buddie's Wouxun KG-1000G for a weekend. It was awesome. I have one on backorder, can't wait for it to arrive!

I have half a dozen Midland devices, and it wasn't until I gave them all away and switched, that I realized how much frustration I endured, and how much I missed.

Whoever is calling the shots on design/capabilities at Midland should be fired. Sorry. Not sorry.

On the other hand, Midland is making a lot of money with great marketing for cr@ppy products.
Thats good to hear, I plan on running the Wouxun KG1000G and a President McKinley CB, the CB will be here Tuesday
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
$399.99 for a the MXT575?? thats crazy. The MXT275 used to be $150 but I see its been jacked up 10% (like everything else lately) to $164.99

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The Wouxun KG-1000G is infinitely better than any Midland radio, and it sells for $369.

Midland is a cash cow, they spend a lot on marketing, and I'm sure someone at Jeep Jamboree with got a kickback for selecting them as their sponsor, or whoever made the decision is inept.

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Interesting thread and thank you for the helpful information.

I was considering the Midland MXT275 because I want to put the unit out of sight because I have the doors off and top down frequently. The Wouxun radio looks like an excellent option. I would rather have a quality radio.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I was considering the Midland MXT275 because I want to put the unit out of sight because I have the doors off and top down frequently. The Wouxun radio looks like an excellent option. I would rather have a quality radio.
if you get the wouxon KG-1000G the faceplate is removable so you can put the radio pretty much wherever out of sight and just mount the faceplate

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I wish I could wind the clock back and recoup +/- $750 wasted on the Midland radios, and the time/effort wasted.

My apologies for the rant, hoping folks looking for capable GMRS radios find this thread.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
If you are just using it for group trail rides and such does it matter at all? A lot of people just use FRS hand helds and have no problems.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
We borrowed a handheld unit on a group run and it worked well—definitely MUCH better than the CB we had in our JK.

Question from a noob:
Would a unit like the KG-1000G serve better for emergencies (as opposed to a handheld) when out of cell range? I read that the KG works better with repeaters (something about different signals).

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Question from a noob:
Would a unit like the KG-1000G serve better for emergencies (as opposed to a handheld) when out of cell range? I read that the KG works better with repeaters (something about different signals).
That answer depends on where you are, who is near you monitoring, and If you are not near a repeater then no. Best is sat like in reach for emergency.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Where can someone actually get a Wouxun KG-1000G?

Seems out of stock everywhere.
I have one on our Adventure Van and bought from Buytwowayradios.com. Great radio and I will get one for our JL as well. Right now I just use my portable Wouxun UV935G in the Jeep

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We borrowed a handheld unit on a group run and it worked well—definitely MUCH better than the CB we had in our JK.

Question from a noob:
I have both a Wouxun KG1000G in our van plus a UV935G handheld. All the Wouxun radios - mobile and portable units fully report repeaters. Some of the other GMRS brands only use narrow band for the repeaters and that is a problem (I think they may now have a S/W update now, but not 100% sure). Wouxun, BTech and Midland seem to be the best three GMRS options. GMRS definitely works better than simple FRS bubble pack radio - usually better made TX/RX, usually higher gain detachable antennas (illegal in pure FRS radios), higher output pwr in most cases.

Cycle11111

First Name
Alastair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are just using it for group trail rides and such does it matter at all? A lot of people just use FRS hand helds and have no problems.
GMRS definitely works better than simple FRS bubble pack radios - usually better made TX/RX, usually higher gain detachable antennas (illegal in pure FRS radios), higher output pwr in most cases. Note you need an FCC license for GMRS operation which is $70 (supposed to be reduced to $35) for 10years on the FCC website -no test required just fill out the appropriate application
Sponsored