Sponsored

GRMS Radios which is best BTECH 50 watt or Midland 40 watt?

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr

The BTECH is way less $$ and has more watts .. any negative about it?
Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed

The BTECH is way less $$ and has more watts .. any negative about it?
Do you really need 40 watts? I think a lot of people here (myself included) like the MTX275 (which is only 15 watts) because all of the controls are on the mic, so you can mount the actual radio completely out of site.

OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Do you really need 40 watts? I think a lot of people here (myself included) like the MTX275 (which is only 15 watts) because all of the controls are on the mic, so you can mount the actual radio completely out of site.

I'm not really sure .. I think the 15 watts would give a range like the CB radio does, and the 40 or 50 can go several miles if line of sight?

I was looking for a 40 or 50 watt with the controls on the mic but couldn't find one like that.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The 40w is basically the same (especially so for obstructed):
Jeep Wrangler JL GRMS Radios which is best BTECH 50 watt or Midland 40 watt? 1631834346753

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
That does look nice. Do you know how far the face plate can be from the main radio?
the review I watched of it said they keep the unit tucked under a seat, I think its only limited by however long the cable is you use

OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I was thinking tuck it under the dash some where, likely under the glove box, incase the floor gets wet.

But the face plate to the unit likely has some proprietary cable like those HAM radios have.

The pic clearly shows the face plate detached like the HAM radios do.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
I'm not really sure .. I think the 15 watts would give a range like the CB radio does, and the 40 or 50 can go several miles if line of sight?

I was looking for a 40 or 50 watt with the controls on the mic but couldn't find one like that.
Keep an eye out for the Midland MXT-575, supposed to be coming mid-October if I remember correctly.

I think this is probably the best GMRS mobile radio on the market right now, at least on paper.

That does look nice. Do you know how far the face plate can be from the main radio?
From one end of the vehicle to the other if you wanted. My 100w HF ham radio gets cranky after about 30' of separation. My mobile radios, ham and GMRS (midland MXT-275) are mounted in the back of my Jeep with the control heads around the driver seat. No issues.

I was thinking tuck it under the dash some where, likely under the glove box, incase the floor gets wet.
But the face plate to the unit likely has some proprietary cable like those HAM radios have.
The pic clearly shows the face plate detached like the HAM radios do.
None of my radios, ham or GMRS use proprietary cables or connectors. It appears the KG-1000g uses RJ45 ethernet connectors, the manual does note that standard cat5/6 can't be used without without swapping pins 2 and 4 which can be done by splicing anywhere on the cable and reconnecting the wires accordingly. Super easy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Thanks !!

I'll be impatiently waiting for the MXT-575.

I found the write up's, training PDF show and the manual, so hopefully it's out this year.
The controls are all on the mic just like the 275, watts is 50, and it will do both narrow and wide band.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had high hopes for the Midland 50w but I'll probably be getting the Wouxun KG-1000G
I bought a Wouxun KG-935G handheld, and I was (and continue to be) floored at the quality, capability, and support.

I was able to "borrow" a buddie's Wouxun KG-1000G for a weekend. It was awesome. I have one on backorder, can't wait for it to arrive!

I have half a dozen Midland devices, and it wasn't until I gave them all away and switched, that I realized how much frustration I endured, and how much I missed.

Whoever is calling the shots on design/capabilities at Midland should be fired. Sorry. Not sorry.

On the other hand, Midland is making a lot of money with great marketing for cr@ppy products.