Sponsored

Grizzl-e Charger just stopped working...

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
So it went problem free for about 2 months, and then now it just won't initiate charging. Reset it (dip switches), unplug it for a day, nothing. All that happens when plugged in is the Jeep cycles through the colorful lights and then lands on flashing blue (at the Jeep), but the Grizzl-e flashes blue as well indicating that it's plugged in - but the system never initiates into green/charging.
Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Man that sucks. I’ve read enough problem threads about the the Grizzl-e that I have written that brand off. I would contact them and see if they can send you a replacement if it’s still under warranty

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
So it went problem free for about 2 months, and then now it just won't initiate charging. Reset it (dip switches), unplug it for a day, nothing. All that happens when plugged in is the Jeep cycles through the colorful lights and then lands on flashing blue (at the Jeep), but the Grizzl-e flashes blue as well indicating that it's plugged in - but the system never initiates into green/charging.
Next steps would be to verify the charge schedule is turned off.
If that is good.....try force charging by unplugging and then plugging back in after a second or two.
If still not working then try another EVSE to determine if the fault is with the EVSE or vehicle.

Keep us posted.
Good luck.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
See this thread about updating firmware:

Charger update

No issues since the update

Yep, about 4-5 days ago, ours got a little cranky, updated it (again), works perfect again. I think maybe it's some kind of change to the remote service, that winds up requiring an update to the charger (i.e., the client, think of it like an update to a smartphone, when the supporting service changes).

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
EVSEs are supposed to somewhat simple devices. I'm surprised they haven't designed failsafe operations into it.

Whatever, smarts are involved, cloud servies, etc. The engineer/architect in me says the basic functions should be the failsafe mode.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
@moments.by.ron let us know if the firmware update did the trick.

OP
OP
moments.by.ron

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
@moments.by.ron let us know if the firmware update did the trick.
The firmware update looks to have worked. Makes we want to take a bat to the thing though, or better yet, yell at Grizzl-e. I'm tired of product developers that allow their products to become bricks when firmware updates come out. My home controller is the same way - new firmware, stops working until I update it. Blah.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
The firmware update looks to have worked. Makes we want to take a bat to the thing though, or better yet, yell at Grizzl-e. I'm tired of product developers that allow their products to become bricks when firmware updates come out. My home controller is the same way - new firmware, stops working until I update it. Blah.
Great to hear it's working. Yay Jeep community! I believe I received that information from @MaskedRacerX .

Sam_Ca

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Same problem, Jeep blue light and Grizzle blue. Any fix?

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
I am guessing this issue doesnt exist in their dumb charger? I have one sitting in a box in the garage for 4 months now and no way to test it

Deleted member 72291

I am guessing this issue doesnt exist in their dumb charger? I have one sitting in a box in the garage for 4 months now and no way to test it
Yeah, I’ve heard zero issues with the “dumb” version. I’ve been using the “dumb” Grizzl-E for several months and it’s fantastic.

Everyone I know with a smart charger (ChargePoint, Juicebox, Grizzle-E Smart) have all had software issues at some point. I can see the advantage of a smart charger with a full EV where scheduling, conditioning, and planning charges on off-peak hours is more critical, but doesn’t make sense for the 2 hours it takes to charge the 4xe.

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
Yeah, I’ve heard zero issues with the “dumb” version. I’ve been using the “dumb” Grizzl-E for several months and it’s fantastic.

Everyone I know with a smart charger (ChargePoint, Juicebox, Grizzle-E Smart) have all had software issues at some point. I can see the advantage of a smart charger with a full EV where scheduling, conditioning, and planning charges on off-peak hours is more critical, but doesn’t make sense for the 2 hours it takes to charge the 4xe.
that was my thought process when choosing the dumb version and the number of complaints i read about the smart version. everything there days is connected to the freaking internet... washer, dryer, fridge. you name it. its hard to buy something thats not freaking not connected to something.

now that i am complaining about smart things... i should have probably aimed at a owning a 2 door ICE jeep instead of the 4Xe lol

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
I contacted United Chargers, as I started having issues with the Smart charger. I requested a replacement with a non-smart version, and they agreed and gave me a refund for the price difference, and shipped a new non-smart one. I then shipped back the old smart on their dime.
Sponsored