First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
So this is an odd issue. I know I'm going to be chasseing it with the service center until I finally give up and accept it. So from day 1 my clutch peddle has a bit of a grit feel to it when moving. Its very faint. It isn't there when the jeep is not moving or is in neutral. I had a note with my first jeep wave oil change to have them look at it. Between making the appointment and the actual drop off it disappeared and the clutch pedal was smooth as butter (of course). What changed? It snowed 8 inches and I was in 4 wheel high at 45-50 MPH for my 20 mile commute for 2 days.
Fast forward a week, the grit feel is back. No different, just like it has been for 6k miles. This morning it snowed a little and the side roads were a bit slick so back to 4 wheel high. About 5 miles into my commute the clutch pedal is again smooth as butter. Absolutely no gritty feeling.

What about having 4 high engaged would change the feel of the clutch pedal?

For reference this is a 2021 Willys JLU 6 speed with 3.6.
Sponsored

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I have this same issue with my 2018 JLUR and have basically since I bought it. Dealer of course said itā€™s normal but I can tell you it has gotten worse over time to the point where it is almost impossible to let the clutch out smoothly. Then one day it will be smooth for 5 minutes, an hour, the whole day.. itā€™s never consistent. Super frustrating. Iā€™m due for an oil change so I intend to have the dealer look at it again when I take it back in. @JeepCares

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White
Both my wife and I have 2021s. Bought same day. Mine is smooth as butter is hers is like yours. I don't drive hers enough to know if it comes or goes, but it's exactly the same feeling. In neutral it's not there at all...
She's a decent manual driver so don't think it's abuse.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have this same issue with my 2018 JLUR and have basically since I bought it. Dealer of course said itā€™s normal but I can tell you it has gotten worse over time to the point where it is almost impossible to let the clutch out smoothly. Then one day it will be smooth for 5 minutes, an hour, the whole day.. itā€™s never consistent. Super frustrating. Iā€™m due for an oil change so I intend to have the dealer look at it again when I take it back in. @JeepCares
Thanks for tagging us. Please send our team a private message so we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Only at 1700 miles on mine so far, but I haven't experienced anything like this yet. I mean when you're in gear you can feel a faint vibration as it bites, but I just consider that to be normal. It's definitely not a gritty or chunky feeling. Just posting to track so I can see any resolutions if mine does ever develop anything like this.

Sponsored

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Have your dealer visually inspect clutch assy with video scope and perform the clutch holding test as outlined in previous clutch recall.

Note: If you exceed your 3yr 30K its your problem.....clutch is considered a wear item. But, if you can prove your clutch failed due to the hydraulic system, the clutch could be covered.

If everything checks out..........move further down the drivetrain.

However, when driving engaged in 4H; with the Willys transfer case, road conditions and maneuvers will add strain to the drivetrain. Noise and effort to control vehicle will be amplified.

Last edited:
OP
OP
openingshok

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
Update on the gritty pedal issue. I now have 24K on the odometer. I had the oportunity to drive my dad's '21 JT 3.6 6 speed the other day (same exact setup as my JLU) and his clutch/shifting were night a day compared to mine. Mine has had no change since the original post so I decided to pursue it again at the dealer. They told me they felt something, but couldn't pin it down and wanted it to get worse before they would address it. He said Chrysler frowned on just throwing parts at something hoping it goes away. No, Chrysler frowns on service departments that are unable to diagnose and issue and use a shotgun approach to their troubleshoot process. I mentioned they have now documented an issue with the clutch, so I now had a leg to stand on and I wasn't going to wait for it to fail on the trail with no chance of recovery or after the warranty has expired, or not at all and live with a defect on a $45k vehicle new from the factory. He stated he would reach out to his regional manager for input. I had decided to give him 10 days to reach back out with a solution. Meanwhile Chrysler sent me a review request for my recent dealership visit 2 days later. I was completely honest, very non-hostile, and in the comments stated the dealerships response verbatim. Wouldn't you know the service manager called the next day apologizing, stating he wasn't there that day or this wouldn't have happened, yada yada. Few days later I called to get an update and they said "Chrysler has agreed to do a one time good deed clutch and throw out bearing replacement". My reaction of course is it's not a good deed if it doesn't fix the problem, but I'll wait for the new parts to arrive an be installed before passing judgement. It just slays me the factory delivers a defect, it's acknowledge, but then it''s made to sound like they are martyrs for addressing it. My Willys has been awesome to day, save for the clutch vibration, so if this is the only issue I'm happy. And a huge thank you to Corporate for their follow up satisfaction surveys. Keeps everyone honest.

notthenewguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara
Update on the gritty pedal issue. I now have 24K on the odometer. I had the oportunity to drive my dad's '21 JT 3.6 6 speed the other day (same exact setup as my JLU) and his clutch/shifting were night a day compared to mine. Mine has had no change since the original post so I decided to pursue it again at the dealer. They told me they felt something, but couldn't pin it down and wanted it to get worse before they would address it. He said Chrysler frowned on just throwing parts at something hoping it goes away. No, Chrysler frowns on service departments that are unable to diagnose and issue and use a shotgun approach to their troubleshoot process. I mentioned they have now documented an issue with the clutch, so I now had a leg to stand on and I wasn't going to wait for it to fail on the trail with no chance of recovery or after the warranty has expired, or not at all and live with a defect on a $45k vehicle new from the factory. He stated he would reach out to his regional manager for input. I had decided to give him 10 days to reach back out with a solution. Meanwhile Chrysler sent me a review request for my recent dealership visit 2 days later. I was completely honest, very non-hostile, and in the comments stated the dealerships response verbatim. Wouldn't you know the service manager called the next day apologizing, stating he wasn't there that day or this wouldn't have happened, yada yada. Few days later I called to get an update and they said "Chrysler has agreed to do a one time good deed clutch and throw out bearing replacement". My reaction of course is it's not a good deed if it doesn't fix the problem, but I'll wait for the new parts to arrive an be installed before passing judgement. It just slays me the factory delivers a defect, it's acknowledge, but then it''s made to sound like they are martyrs for addressing it. My Willys has been awesome to day, save for the clutch vibration, so if this is the only issue I'm happy. And a huge thank you to Corporate for their follow up satisfaction surveys. Keeps everyone honest.
hi
Any update on this?

OP
OP
openingshok

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
In true Jeep service fashion they installed the new clutch plate and knock out bearing and somehow screwed up the entire system. When I picked the vehicle up the clutch pedal didn't engage until half way to the floor, and barely had enough to disengage. I took it back the next day and they did "something" and returned it. It worked for 1/2 mile then lost half its travel again.
Took it back and they did "something else" and basically returned it to the original condition. 3 weeks later I traded it in on an auto. I'm fortunately enough I get a corporate discount with Jeep so I ended up trading it in for a bit more than I owed on it. I now LOVE my automatic JLU. Unfortunately I this time period my Dad passed away so I inherited his '99 TJ (Sold his '21 JT with the manual). If I want to drive a "true" jeep with a Man pedal I take it for a spin.

To this day I'm convinced the gearing for the manuals with anything but a sport on 30s is all wrong.
Sponsored