RangerRobAZ

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wow, I never got notifications of all the replies to my original thread here. I had completely given up on this issue. While I'm sad to see so many people with a similar issue, at least I don't feel alone/crazy any more with my Jeep's grinding problems.

Thanks to those who disabled ABS/entire electronic braking system/traction control to confirm the grinding goes away. I figured this would work but never got a Tazer to test as it wasn't a device I really wanted to use on my Jeep.

I got the same response from Jeep that it is normal, multiple times. And a 'don't worry its under warranty'. Small comfort if it decides to die in the middle of a rough trail and $1-$2k tow out charge. I also don't see how the electronic braking system constantly engaging for no reason is going to help with the longevity of that system. Although I imagine Jeep figures it's 'no problem' because it won't fail before the warranty ends.

I've owned 5 4WD vehicles now and none have ever come close to making a noise/feeling like this. I don't really take my 2020 JLUR (auto trans) on anything but mild trails now because of this issue. Definitely nothing requiring 4Lo. This is my 3rd Jeep, and I've loved them but I can't really see getting another one. I have no comfort taking it out on a real trail with the constant grinding issue. Pretty ridiculous for a Rubicon, which I'd consider one of the most capable factory 4x4s.

nhemenwa

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
21 JLUR 2.0T here, same issue. It has been driving me crazy. Same as everyone else. 4Lo grinding noises. I'm glad I found this thread to confirm I'm not taking crazy pills.

So reading through all the posts in this thread, the issue is the ABS/BLD system that is making the noise, and that Jeep is saying it is normal, even though we all know it is not normal or acceptable. The tazer appears to be able to fix the issue/sound, confirming that Jeep (once they own up to the fact that there is an actual problem) should be able to correct this with a software update?

Do I have all that correct?

My question is, though this issue needs to be truly addressed and corrected by Jeep, the nasty sound is not indicative of actual damage happening to my Jeep, right??? I have the 10 year warranty, so I'm not concerned too much about it, other than I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere because of this.

OP
OP
RangerRobAZ

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your summary looks good. The tazer 'fixes' it by completely disabling all of the electronic braking system traction related controls. Going into 4Lo disables some, but not all of the systems. You would think Jeep could release an updated software to either disable whatever 'feature' is causing the overly aggressive traction systems or tune them down so they don't engage continuously.

The grinding noise is the exact same feel/sound that happens if you were to engage ABS. I did this by hitting the brakes hard on a dirt road, thus causing the ABS to engage to test. The noise does seem 'normal' perhaps for the ABS/electronic braking system to make. But was the system actually designed to continually engage for many hours while driving in 4Lo? No one here really knows for sure how this may be impacting the electronic braking system. ABS typically would engage only briefly and infrequently. My concern would be if it does fail while out on a trail, 4WD no longer will work as 4x4 mode requires functional ABS/electronic braking system to turn on. It is also a really unpleasant sound/feel to have while rock crawling.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Your summary looks good. The tazer 'fixes' it by completely disabling all of the electronic braking system traction related controls. Going into 4Lo disables some, but not all of the systems. You would think Jeep could release an updated software to either disable whatever 'feature' is causing the overly aggressive traction systems or tune them down so they don't engage continuously.

The grinding noise is the exact same feel/sound that happens if you were to engage ABS. I did this by hitting the brakes hard on a dirt road, thus causing the ABS to engage to test. The noise does seem 'normal' perhaps for the ABS/electronic braking system to make. But was the system actually designed to continually engage for many hours while driving in 4Lo? No one here really knows for sure how this may be impacting the electronic braking system. ABS typically would engage only briefly and infrequently. My concern would be if it does fail while out on a trail, 4WD no longer will work as 4x4 mode requires functional ABS/electronic braking system to turn on. It is also a really unpleasant sound/feel to have while rock crawling.
Looks like I’ll be ordering the Tazer soon. I really dislike the ABS and Traction control stuff anyways. It’s like the Jeep is telling me that I don’t know how to drive and makes me crazy I can’t lock the brakes or slide through a turn. Great stuff for people who don’t know how to control their ride and I’m definitely glad they have it (my wife being one 😉 )

Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Well…Tazer has been ordered. Quite shocked at the $350 price tag, but will be worth it as it sounds.

Last edited:

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Well…Tazer has been ordered. Quite shocked at the $350 price tag, but we’ll worth it as it sounds.
I decided to buy the Tazer before I found out that it would "fix" the grinding issue. It's useful for a lot of other stuff like setting tire sizes, changing TPMS settings, and others. Glad I have it now that I know it will silence the grinding.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I decided to buy the Tazer before I found out that it would "fix" the grinding issue. It's useful for a lot of other stuff like setting tire sizes, changing TPMS settings, and others. Glad I have it now that I know it will silence the grinding.
I especially like the “dark mode” in case I need a sneaky getaway. :bandit: 😆

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Here's yet another recording of the sound from my '21 JLR. Come on, Mopar! This is not right. @JeepCares you should be relentless on this.
View attachment 499779
Thank you for tagging us.

Please feel free to reach out to our team in private message if you are experiencing concerns. We would be happy to dig in further and escalate for assistance if necessary.

Kate
Jeep Cares

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Thank you for tagging us.

Please feel free to reach out to our team in private message if you are experiencing concerns. We would be happy to dig in further and escalate for assistance if necessary.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate, at this point the best thing you could do is to SHOUT at Mopar to issue a fix for the problem, and keep SHOUTING at them until they do. This thread started 2+ years ago and there are others on this forum with the same topic. This tells me that there are likely thousands of customers who are experiencing the problem, many of whom either don't know about this forum, have gotten no resolution from their dealers, or like RangerBobAZ are just giving up on Jeep. I for one, will not be recommending anyone buy a JL, and will be letting my growing circle of Jeep friends know about the issue. The fact that the problem can be resolved using a Tazer tells me (and apparently a lot of others) that it is a software problem that can and should be resolved with a patch. Why Mopar hasn't issued one so far is beyond my comprehension. I have a substantial background in computer software and cannot imagine a problem this severe not being resolved in the 3+ years since the product (JL) was introduced.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how many times I’ve said this, but thanks again for this forum. Ive had this noise since I can remember and just figured whatever was rubbing would eventually present itself. I saw this a bit ago and went off roading today. I can confirm that the Tazer does fix this. I’d forget after shutting off the jeep to re-engage it but the noise would remind me to hit it again. After a while, it became a habit to just hit it whenever I was in 4 lo.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Searched and never found this thread, posted the problem on Facebook and someone immediately gave me a link to the thread. My friend has his and her's 392's and they do not make this noise at all. I was really worried that it was something serious. I will try the tazer fix next time I am out on the trail.

tgarvens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
... also, with the Tazer, is there a setting that needs to be changed or is it just as simple as plugging in and having the taser present?
Sponsored