Sponsored

Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
For you with this issue, quick question. What is the MDH of your build? Found on vin sticker in drivers door jamb.
Also what powertrains do you have?
Sponsored

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
For you with this issue, quick question. What is the MDH of your build? Found on vin sticker in drivers door jamb.
Also what powertrains do you have?
Ha well if that’s important, then I may be screwed, mine was built at 3pm on a Friday! 112015

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Adde me to the bunch. Brand new Wrangler Sport S fresh off the press. Was messing around in my yard learning the 4WD system and testing my manual trans while in 4L. Noticed the noise right away.

Looks like I'll be ordering a Tazer for the time being.

Should I take it to the dealership so they can document the problem? There is no fix for this yet correct?
As far as I know, right now it is considered "as designed". Hopefully they will initiate a software fix soon.

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 2020 Powerwagon, 1956 F-100
My 2021 JLURD had this issue this past weekend. It kept fighting and grinding while in 4 Low to the point the power steering light came on. No issues with Off Road Plus in 4 High though.

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
My 2021 JLURD had this issue this past weekend. It kept fighting and grinding while in 4 Low to the point the power steering light came on. No issues with Off Road Plus in 4 High though.
Thanks for the report. When you say fighting, do you mean you were fighting it? Like it was preventing you from steering or moving?

Sponsored

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Just confirming, people with non Rubicon models are having this issue as well correct?

Dagny07

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 2020 Powerwagon, 1956 F-100
Thanks for the report. When you say fighting, do you mean you were fighting it? Like it was preventing you from steering or moving?
Yes, was making the grinding noise if felt like we had to fight to steer where we wanted to on the climb.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Yes, was making the grinding noise if felt like we had to fight to steer where we wanted to on the climb.
Did you have the front and rear axles locked?

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I have a 2021 diesel rubicon. I dont have the noise in 4h or 4lo, with or without offroad+ active. I'm also not using a taser to disable anything. I do hear the noise when I activate select speed control. First time I tried it was out of curiosity to see how it would behave. Heard a weird noise then figured it was the brakes being applied to maintain the speed I set. Ive heard Toyota's crawl control makes a God awful noise because of the brakes being applied so thats what I figured was going on. Might be something to try and correlate for those of you having issues, select speed control vs hill decent. Hope this helps.

I think they decided to use the phrase in the manual of "more aggressive" was determined after they test drove the prototype and decided that "WTF" was accurate but not appropriate. It should say that "The BLD will kick into WTF mode - and you'll know what that is when it happens."
They couldn't use WTF because hummer took that for their watts to freedom mode 🤣

obxjeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Went to the beach today to do some tests on reproducing the wonderful grinding noise. I was in 4H most of the time and for the first time recreated the noise in 4H. Normally I only hear it in 4L. Surprisingly the Jeep only created the noise once in 4L. In 4H with ESC "on" I was driving up and out of the sand ruts I was driving in. Basically a "S" pattern back and forth through the ruts. Heard the noise on drivers front wheel. Turned "off" ESC (Held button in for 5 sec.) in 4H and through the same rut no noise. Turned back "on" and the noise came back. Did this a few times and same result each time. So in a weird way based on what others are saying I can understand why this noise happens when ESC is on. Part I don't understand is why in 4L it happens all the time usually when dash says ESC is "off". Normal in my world would be no noise when ESC is "off" regardless of whether in 4H or 4L.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Went to the beach today to do some tests on reproducing the wonderful grinding noise. I was in 4H most of the time and for the first time recreated the noise in 4H. Normally I only hear it in 4L. Surprisingly the Jeep only created the noise once in 4L. In 4H with ESC "on" I was driving up and out of the sand ruts I was driving in. Basically a "S" pattern back and forth through the ruts. Heard the noise on drivers front wheel. Turned "off" ESC (Held button in for 5 sec.) in 4H and through the same rut no noise. Turned back "on" and the noise came back. Did this a few times and same result each time. So in a weird way based on what others are saying I can understand why this noise happens when ESC is on. Part I don't understand is why in 4L it happens all the time usually when dash says ESC is "off". Normal in my world would be no noise when ESC is "off" regardless of whether in 4H or 4L.
That is because when you go into 4L and it says traction control off, it’s not really fully off. It deactivates some features but the vehicle still has active stability control which can never be turned off and it still has ABS which can also never be turned off.

Holding the button for five seconds with a tazer plugged in completely disables the entire traction/stability control systems, together with the entire ABS system. In other words, it becomes just like the cars in the old days with no anti-lock braking, no traction control, and no electronic stability control of any kind whatsoever.
Sponsored