Sponsored

Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Actually just found this in the manual, so apparently it is normal. In 4WD Low even though the ESC is turned off (or in 4WD High and OffRoad+ is on, which also turns off the ESC), the BLD will continue to operate "aggressively" - so the ABS isn't kicking in but instead this BLD system is kicking in when in 4LO first gear and/or wheels turned sharply....

Page 162 in manual -
"Traction Control: Aggressive brake lock differential tuning at slower speed or FIRST gear"
(not sure if that is supposed to say "turning" or if they meant "tuning"???)

offroadplus1.jpeg

offroadplus2.jpeg
Same info I found but some people in this thread are deadset as it being something broken, its literally a feature and works damn well too it just sounds awful. Other vehicles have similar software controlled "BLD" and they too make weird noise its just a side affect of dragging the brake. Now I will say that I wish you could turn it off when you don't want to have it on...
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Been following this thread a while and curious if my 2021 JLUR bought September 2020 will have this same problem. That sound is indeed bad. Ive put it in 4Lo many times but never turned the wheel fully since even with the axle lockers disengaged, the jeep wrangler transfer case is locked when in 4hi/4lo, so the center “differential” is basically locked which means the front and rear axles are forced to spin at exactly equal speeds and turning forces them to not want to turn at equal speeds because of variable wheel velocities during a turn. So either the tires need to slip, or something else needs to give way. Either way, I wouldn’t make any sharp turns, even on dirt roads, unless the road surface is indeed extremely slippery and thus will allow for easy wheel slippage. I would hazard a guess it is a combination of something to do with this and a horribly written BLD algorithm.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
BLD has been around since the JK and they didn't make this kind of racket.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
For some reason I thought that turning off the ESC would turn off all of the mechanisms involved, so didn't expect the BLD to still be working. I have only noticed it in 4Low in deep sand, and haven't heard it kick in in 4High yet either at high or low speeds in sand/mud.

[/QUOTE]
Same info I found but some people in this thread are deadset as it being something broken, its literally a feature and works damn well too it just sounds awful. Other vehicles have similar software controlled "BLD" and they too make weird noise its just a side affect of dragging the brake. Now I will say that I wish you could turn it off when you don't want to have it on...

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
BLD has been around since the JK and they didn't make this kind of racket.
It's likely a different system on the jl...

my guess is that the JL BLD uses ABS to control wheel speed which is exactly why it sounds like ABS which can be described as grinding and such just like BLD makes in my JL.

Grinding noise from ABS / BLD normal? | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeep really should put more info out about their system though so people can be 100% sure its not an issue.

Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's likely a different system on the jl...

my guess is that the JL BLD uses ABS to control wheel speed which is exactly why it sounds like ABS which can be described as grinding and such just like BLD makes in my JL.

Grinding noise from ABS / BLD normal? | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

Jeep really should put more info out about their system though so people can be 100% sure its not an issue.
I agree, somewhat. At any rate, when I've experienced this it was actually locking up the brakes to the point I couldn't accelerate and caused a literal stink. That is not normal. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often for me and I am able to clear it by going out if 4L and back in. I will say that the downhill assist works like a champ and is noisy as hell...that is a known issue however.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what that means. He never spoke to me about it. I don't know what a full turn is, but it doesn't matter whether i barely turn the wheel, or 1/4 turn, or 1/2 turn - it still happens. I guess the point I was trying to make here is that Chrysler/Jeep says this is normal.
I had a '19 without the "OFFROAD +" feature and it didn't ever do this. I wonder if this is part of that software?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’d also like to add that no, BLD is not disabled in 4LO, only basic traction and stability control is disabled when in 4Lo.

The ONLY way to disable BLD at each axle is to engage the lockers on said axle, or to have a Tazer mini connected and hold the traction control button for a few seconds until your dash lights up with ABS service errors. Only then will ALL the nannies be disabled.

For anyone who owns a Tazer mini and has easy access to off-road locations, I would love for them to hold the traction control button until even the ABS gets disabled and then see if this infamous noise is still there.

This will prove once and for all if this noise is caused by the nannies or if there is something mechanically wrong with all these jeeps.

edit: here is a photo of what the dash will look like if the Tazer is used to turn off ALL the nannies:
Jeep Wrangler JL Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon 1DA1A826-3440-49C5-854E-7AEDD3D7518F

In addition to these lights, the center screen will also say “Service Antilock Brake System” and “Service Traction Control System”

At this point, ALL nannies will be completely deactivated until the vehicles is shut off and restarted.

Last edited:

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Has anyone heard of this noise on Gladiators? Being it seems to be a 2021 problem, and if the new to Wrangler off road+ is involved, it would only make sense Gladiators do it also. I only know one gladiator owner, his is a 2020 and does not make the noise. If this was "Normal" as Jeep is stating, Gladiators should to it also.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
I’d also like to add that no, BLD is not disabled in 4LO, only basic traction and stability control is disabled when in 4Lo.

The ONLY way to disable BLD at each axle is to engage the lockers on said axle, or to have a Tazer mini connected and hold the traction control button for a few seconds until your dash lights up with ABS service errors. Only then will ALL the nannies be disabled.

For anyone who owns a Tazer mini and has easy access to off-road locations, I would love for them to hold the traction control button until even the ABS gets disabled and then see if this infamous noise is still there.

This will prove once and for all if this noise is caused by the nannies or if there is something mechanically wrong with all these jeeps.

edit: here is a photo of what the dash will look like if the Tazer is used to turn off ALL the nannies:
Jeep Wrangler JL Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon 1DA1A826-3440-49C5-854E-7AEDD3D7518F

In addition to these lights, the center screen will also say “Service Antilock Brake System” and “Service Traction Control System”

At this point, ALL nannies will be completely deactivated until the vehicles is shut off and restarted.

Ok, tried this and I could NOT get the sound to repeat. Reset the system and sound was back. Appears to be exactly what is going on here. I can only get the sound when OffRoad+ and all nannies enabled.

@JeepCares is there is chance you could get involved so that we don't have to self diagnose on our own here?

Few questions to help narrow it down:
1) 2021 only?
2) JLUR only?
3) Only when OffRoad+ is engaged?
4) IS 2021 the first year OffRoad+ was offered on the Wrnagler?

Thank all.

Sponsored

BADMAV302

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Ok, tried this and I could NOT get the sound to repeat. Reset the system and sound was back. Appears to be exactly what is going on here. I can only get the sound when OffRoad+ and all nannies enabled.

@JeepCares is there is chance you could get involved so that we don't have to self diagnose on our own here?

1) 2021 only?
2) JLUR only?

Thank all.
5) Engine option? probably a good question too.
for #3, I've never used that offroad + button, so I doubt that is it. And #4, the answer is yes, 2021 is the first year for it in Wranglers, but 2020 Gladiators have it.

Pharmguy75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 21 Audi Q7
Awesome! Ordered the Tazer Mini on Friday.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

1) 2021 only?
2) JLUR only?

Thank all.
Thank you for your contribution. This is one clear piece of evidence that it’s is the BLD system and no ones front differential is falling apart.
Let me understand your correctly: You get the grinding noise only when the nannies are enabled AND you have the off-road+ button enabled also? So if your off-road+ button isn’t enabled, you don’t get the grinding sounds at all?
Because the off-road+ button should have nothing to do with the BLD/ESC/traction control system. The button only changes engine and transmission tuning and shift points.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your contribution. This is one clear piece of evidence that it’s is the BLD system and no ones front differential is falling apart.
Let me understand your correctly: You get the grinding noise only when the nannies are enabled AND you have the off-road+ button enabled also? So if your off-road+ button isn’t enabled, you don’t get the grinding sounds at all?
Because the off-road+ button should have nothing to do with the BLD/ESC/traction control system. The button only changes engine and transmission tuning and shift points.
I have yet to hear it without the OffRoad+ engaged. I would not say that it is a black and white rule though due to my limited amount of trials.
Sponsored