Sponsored

Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I tried mine this weekend and no issue. I hate intermittent issues!
Sponsored

FrankieBee

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler - 2 door
Best audio I’ve gotten of the noise so far. Dealers didn’t seem to care that I had it, since they couldn’t duplicate

Yep thats the sound. And you are correct, that sound isnt even the half of it, compared to the feeling you get at the pedals and steering wheel as well.

Kate from Jeep Cares never answered my previous question as to how a tech in the city is supposed to replicate this sound when there are no dirt roads around, let alone one where 4lo can be engaged.

I plan on taking mine in for routine service this upcoming week. Wish me luck, and I will keep all you posted as well.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Arg... me too. '21 JLUR. Just traded in my '19 and it didn't do this. Took it on today, got the " can not replicate" and shipped back to me. Just finished fighting the steering tsb nightmare on the old one, looks like I need to start over. At least @JeepCares took care of me lost time. Here we go again...

Last edited:

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone hear a correct diagnosis and repair for this yet?

Sponsored

Howardlv22

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU EcoDiesel
I don't believe so, or at least, no one has posted about it yet... I'm curious with the Tazer Mini, if you disable the ABS, if it stops the grinding noise.

Can anyone confirm this?
Watching this comment

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe so, or at least, no one has posted about it yet... I'm curious with the Tazer Mini, if you disable the ABS, if it stops the grinding noise.

Can anyone confirm this?
I will try this as soon as I get a chance and report back if no-one beats me to the punch. Good idea, ty.

Rubicon53

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlur
I will try this as soon as I get a chance and report back if no-one beats me to the punch. Good idea, ty.
If the tazer fixes this issue I’m ordering one that same day. I can’t stand this noise anymore it’s ruining the whole offroad experience for me

Bret

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I got a 2021 JL Rubicon last October. Last month was the first time I put it in 4L near Laverkin Creek. What I experienced was awful. When going over boulders in the creek in 4L, the JL has this awful metal on metal grinding noise when I turn. If I go straight in 4L - no problem. I also noticed when the front wheels go over boulders I get the terrible grinding noise. It sounds like the grinding is coming from the front end. This problem only seems to appear when in 4L (not 4H). I've had Jeeps for 40 years, but this is my first JL. I feel like it is not safe to take this thing off-road, and possibly break down in the middle of nowhere. I took it to my Jeep Dealer 3 weeks ago, and the mechanic drove the vehicle with me to hear the grinding noise. Luckily, there was an area near the dealership to drive off-road. The mechanic doesn't know what the grinding is, but he did drive 2 brand new 2021 JLURs, and he said they are doing the same thing. The Jeep mechanic is waiting to hear from the Mopar Dealer Rep for Utah. Wishing I had kept my 2017 JK.

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Did you take it to the Stephen Wade dealership? I might bring mine in as well - have the same issue in 4L driving with wheels turned. was going to make sure it was reproducible before bringing it in, but if the same dealer gets the same issue brought into them, maybe it will help get to a resolution faster.

I got a 2021 JL Rubicon last October. Last month was the first time I put it in 4L near Laverkin Creek. What I experienced was awful. When going over boulders in the creek in 4L, the JL has this awful metal on metal grinding noise when I turn. If I go straight in 4L - no problem. I also noticed when the front wheels go over boulders I get the terrible grinding noise. It sounds like the grinding is coming from the front end. This problem only seems to appear when in 4L (not 4H). I've had Jeeps for 40 years, but this is my first JL. I feel like it is not safe to take this thing off-road, and possibly break down in the middle of nowhere. I took it to my Jeep Dealer 3 weeks ago, and the mechanic drove the vehicle with me to hear the grinding noise. Luckily, there was an area near the dealership to drive off-road. The mechanic doesn't know what the grinding is, but he did drive 2 brand new 2021 JLURs, and he said they are doing the same thing. The Jeep mechanic is waiting to hear from the Mopar Dealer Rep for Utah. Wishing I had kept my 2017 JK.

Bret

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Did you take it to the Stephen Wade dealership? I might bring mine in as well - have the same issue in 4L driving with wheels turned. was going to make sure it was reproducible before bringing it in, but if the same dealer gets the same issue brought into them, maybe it will help get to a resolution faster.
Yes, Stephen Wade. This noise sounds horrible. I'm going to Canyonlands Nat. Park in 6 weeks, and can't imagine driving those roads with this JL. I'm not comfortable the JLUR will make it out alive. Jeep needs to do something about this. The more customers that show up with this issue, the better.

Last edited:

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
So the recommendation of "not to do full turns in 4LO" is normal?? Ok then....

Yes, Stephen Wade. This noise sounds horrible. I'm going to Canyonlands Nat. Park in 6 weeks, and can't imagine driving those roads with this JL. I'm not comfortable the JLUR will make it out alive. Jeep needs to do something about this. The more customers that show up with this issue, the better. Here is what the mechanic wrote on my ticket:

CUSTOMER STATES VIBRATION WHEN TURNING IN 4 LOW.
Caused by
When in 4LO and turning vehicle would make a binding noise, upon inspection recommended customer not to do full turns when in 4LO, especially on pavement, or grippy surfaces, inspected every u-joint on vehicle, inspected drivelines for excess play, inspected t-case fluid, and found fluid to be bright and no signs of metal or broken components, vehicle does have oversized tires.
Found no issue at this time, vehicle and 4LO system seems to be working as intended at this time. Road tested with customer to verify customer's noise scan ck no codes ck fluid in frt diff ok road tested with 2 new jeeps at same location same noise contacted tech rep was told normal noise has to do with abs and diff software no repair at this time normal.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Actually just found this in the manual, so apparently it is normal. In 4WD Low even though the ESC is turned off (or in 4WD High and OffRoad+ is on, which also turns off the ESC), the BLD will continue to operate "aggressively" - so the ABS isn't kicking in but instead this BLD system is kicking in when in 4LO first gear and/or wheels turned sharply....

Page 162 in manual -
"Traction Control: Aggressive brake lock differential tuning at slower speed or FIRST gear"
(not sure if that is supposed to say "turning" or if they meant "tuning"???)

Jeep Wrangler JL Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon offroadplus1

Jeep Wrangler JL Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon offroadplus2

Bret

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
So the recommendation of "not to do full turns in 4LO" is normal?? Ok then....

Not sure what that means. He never spoke to me about it. I don't know what a full turn is, but it doesn't matter whether i barely turn the wheel, or 1/4 turn, or 1/2 turn - it still happens. I guess the point I was trying to make here is that Chrysler/Jeep says this is normal.
Sponsored