Sponsored

Grinding noise in 4WD on brand new Rubicon

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I made a thread a week or two ago asking about this... When I was in 4Lo, going uphill, it started grinding from the front, underneath the drivers side almost. I thought I was stripping gears or something...

It was mentioned that it was most likely the ABS activating...

My situation was climbing a hill at ~15-20% grade, all deep fresh snow and finally the jeep could not go any farther but started getting that sound and feel....

I did go back a few days later - and I was able to recreate the issue. But only in the same fashion. Extremely steep hill, deep snow and it happens every time. Otherwise no issues when in 4Lo...

Still, it doesn't sound right at all...

Oh but i have a '20 Sahara
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I made a thread a week or two ago asking about this... When I was in 4Lo, going uphill, it started grinding from the front, underneath the drivers side almost. I thought I was stripping gears or something...

My situation was climbing a hill at ~15-20% grade, all deep fresh snow and finally the jeep could not go any farther but started getting that sound and feel....

I did go back a few days later - and I was able to recreate the issue. But only in the same fashion. Extremely steep hill, deep snow and it happens every time. Otherwise no issues when in 4Lo...
do you think maybe this could have been the electronic brake lock differential functionality kicking in as opposed to a mechanical problem? i believe it is active in 4LO even though the other traction control functionality is automatically disabled

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Still, it doesn't sound right at all...

Oh but i have a '20 Sahara
Could what you are experiencing is simply the “e-lockers”? We’re brake force is being applied to the wheel that is loosing the most traction on the axle? I remember reading the the e-lockers will engage when the real lockers are not engaged on a given axle.

Pharmguy75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 21 Audi Q7
Took mine out today for the first time. 2021 JLUR. Sever grinding noise coming from front in 4lo. I have no idea what’s going on!!!

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
All this is very disturbing. Making me second guess my current JL (392) Rubicon order.

Do we have a sense of the percentage of total Wranglers experience this? 1 in 10, 1 in 4... all of them?

Again, very disturbing for a potential buyer who will use Rubicon off-road to read; especially with other viable alternatives coming down the production pipe.

Sponsored

enjynlf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Dealer found metal in the differential oil... took a couple weeks but they replaced the axle and everything seems good now. After reading some of the posts I was pretty sure it was some kind of electronic issue, but it wasn’t. I would suggest that if you’re in doubt change the differential fluid and check for metal..

Best of luck to anyone with similar symptoms, happy they found my issue.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just noticed this issue last weekend on a trail and have experienced similar symptoms listed in this thread when in 4Lo. Sounds like a grinding noise coming from the front only in 4Lo, almost like something is going on with ABS....feels and sounds like ABS at least. Then the EVIC started lighting up with 4WD SERV, and Service Antilock Brake System. Thankfully I had just got back to the trailhead to start airing up and depart so I shutoff the jeep. Proceeded to pop the hood and re-seat all fusses since I never got around to doing that. Then I crawled under the jeep and inspected and wiggled all ABS lines. Turned the jeep back on and no issues since...haven't been in 4Lo since either.
Oh...this is on a 2020 JLUR 2.0T with only approx 6,000 miles.

Dealer found metal in the differential oil... took a couple weeks but they replaced the axle and everything seems good now. After reading some of the posts I was pretty sure it was some kind of electronic issue, but it wasn’t. I would suggest that if you’re in doubt change the differential fluid and check for metal..

Best of luck to anyone with similar symptoms, happy they found my issue.
Did the dealer share any more specific information other than finding metal in the diff oil?

enjynlf

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Only what I posted earlier about getting a TCU error code. Errored every time they put in 4wd, when one guy was driving a tec outside of the Jeep heand the noise and it sounded like it was coming from the differential. They chec oil found metal. Apparently they don’t even look inside , just get a new axle.

hopefully you find your issue... Steve

MallBrawler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JKR, '21 JLUR, '21 Tesla MYP, '22 4XE ordered
Occupation
Jeep Caretaker
Have noticed this issue on mine too. 2021 JLUR 6MT 3.6L 1800 miles, took delivery last month. Was on easy trail, in 4L and it'd be grinding when the steering wheel is turned maybe 1/3 way to full lock. This issue didn't happen on my prior wrangler (2019 JLUSS).

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is happening to mine also. 2021 JLUR 3.6 Auto. Taking to dealership on Thursday. Was on a really difficult trail when it started happening and then it it wouldn’t stay in 4L sometimes. Caused me to hit on my cross member and skid plates. Not happy...

Sponsored

CJAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I also have a 2021 jlur making the same noise. It’s at the dealer now. Their diagnosis is they have no idea and are going to start throwing parts at it and see what makes it go away. Will keep everyone posted if they fix it.

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a 2021 jlur making the same noise. It’s at the dealer now. Their diagnosis is they have no idea and are going to start throwing parts at it and see what makes it go away. Will keep everyone posted if they fix it.
taking mine up today... will report back also...

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They had no codes come up but will be keeping to find issue.

CJAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
They had no codes come up but will be keeping to find issue.
Yeah same thing with mine. Problem with new cars, they can’t diagnose without a code. Mines is also having throttle issues but no code so they’re throwing parts at it. As far as the grinding they think it’s 4x actuator on the diff. Will keep you all posted.

LostAggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah same thing with mine. Problem with new cars, they can’t diagnose without a code. Mines is also having throttle issues but no code so they’re throwing parts at it. As far as the grinding they think it’s 4x actuator on the diff. Will keep you all posted.
Appreciate the feedback, I let my service guy know. Will update this post with findings from my end as they come along.
Sponsored