Grinding noise from ABS / BLD normal?

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When I slam on my brakes on a dirt road and the ABS kicks in, I get a rather loud grinding/metal scraping noise. Similarly, when in 4lo going up a steep, loose surface incline (such that BLD is likely engaging), I get the same grinding noise.

I am wondering if this grinding is normal or if I have something defective in my electronic braking system? Or perhaps some debris in my brakes, although when I slam on the brakes on dry asphalt, no grinding (because no ABS)
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm probably not much help, but I'm just curious if you really mean "slam" or is this just a phrase. Just wondering because I had that Spock look when I read your post:like:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Every ABS pump I've ever heard engage makes at best weird and at worst disconcerting noises, including sounds that could be characterized as grinding.

I'm sure the BLD would use the ABS pump/manifold as it's a pre-existing way to control the brake at each wheel.

My JLUR did it after my lift and before I centered the steering wheel - it thinks you're trying to turn based on the angle of the wheel but the WSSs tell it you're going straight, so it tries to correct with light braking to certain wheels

I miss the days when you could clock a steering wheel 90 off and the vehicle didn't know or care ;)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably not much help, but I'm just curious if you really mean "slam" or is this just a phrase. Just wondering because I had that Spock look when I read your post:like:
27D408CA-F459-4D53-B6FA-8F32F3ED82AD.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
RangerRobAZ

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Every ABS pump I've ever heard engage makes at best weird and at worst disconcerting noises, including sounds that could be characterized as grinding.

I'm sure the BLD would use the ABS pump/manifold as it's a pre-existing way to control the brake at each wheel.

My JLUR did it after my lift and before I centered the steering wheel - it thinks you're trying to turn based on the angle of the wheel but the WSSs tell it you're going straight, so it tries to correct with light braking to certain wheels

I miss the days when you could clock a steering wheel 90 off and the vehicle didn't know or care ;)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve found it difficult to find information about ABS noise online. Some say grinding noise is the sound it can make.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon

Reading through these threads because I was playing with my drag link today to get my steering wheel centered and I had a weird ABS activation kick in while driving at about 5 mph.

So you’re saying the Jeep can read the difference between the steering wheel angle and the tire angle and activate the abs? Am I understanding that correctly?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Reading through these threads because I was playing with my drag link today to get my steering wheel centered and I had a weird ABS activation kick in while driving at about 5 mph.

So you’re saying the Jeep can read the difference between the steering wheel angle and the tire angle and activate the abs? Am I understanding that correctly?
It's not reading tire angle per se, no.

As you're moving the vehicle CAN tell from WSSs if you're turning as much as it would expect. It might also somehow compare this to data from the tone ring, I honestly don't know exactly

In a turn the inside wheel travels a shorter distance than the outside wheel - again, this is the entire reason open differentials exist

BelovedZealousKitten-size_restricted.gif

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
....and so yes, traction control sits upright, screams "Danger Will Robinson, we have created a nation of people who can barely drive and nurtured a mindset that we must have the machines save us from ourselves," and it applies specific brakes to get you going straight again.

Once completed Traction Control returns to building H/K's for Skynet....

Yes, that Traction Control is long-winded and busy....and apparently confuses Lost in Space with Terminator at times

Sponsored

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
It's not reading tire angle per se, no.

As you're moving the vehicle CAN tell from WSSs if you're turning as much as it would expect. It might also somehow compare this to data from the tone ring, I honestly don't know exactly

In a turn the inside wheel travels a shorter distance than the outside wheel - again, this is the entire reason open differentials exist

BelovedZealousKitten-size_restricted.gif
So in your opinion, would you say my weird activation of ABS today on a dry driveway could have possibly been caused by adjusting the drag link?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So in your opinion, would you say my weird activation of ABS today on a dry driveway could have possibly been caused by adjusting the drag link?
Only if your steering wheel was noticeably off center....or I don't know how much the system can "learn" from a previous setting and so *maybe* your new steering wheel placement threw it off.

There has to be quite a bit of leeway or everyone with wandering JL's would be having TC kick in all the time because rarely are our steering wheels centered while driving straight

If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it.
Sponsored