OP
Jeffinstl

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get anywhere on this? I'm experiencing the same thing in my JLUR. It has about 700 miles on it. It's felt that way since I picked it up after being built. I started researching it because I didn't recall the JLUR I test drove feeling the same. I had it back at the dealer today to pick something up and asked to test drive another manual. The feel was completely different. Granted it was a sport, so obviously gears are going to feel different, but the clutch pedal was very smooth regardless of whether I was in neutral or in gear. Mine is fine in neutral and only seems gritty when shifting through the gears. Anyway, was just curious if you ever got anywhere with your dealer. I just scheduled an appointment to take mine in.
Nope, just learned to live with it. The dash rattle on the other hand...
Sponsored

Firefly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler TJ
I noticed the grinding vibrations immediately on two different JLs that I test drove. One was a Sport and the other a Sport S. Both manual. And, I immediately mentioned to salesperson. She had no input. So, i figured it is a new model kink needing to get worked out.

I wound up buying a completely different manual Sport and I feel that vibration with it, as well. On all 3 of the jeeps, the grinding vibes were heavily felt specifically when going from 1st gear to 2nd gear.

Interested to know why.

CASEYM

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SILVERADO, 2016 SCAT PACK CHALLENGER
Does anyone have a "spongy" feeling when they push their clutch in? Everything works fine, engages, shifts etc..
I took it in for service and the dealer said it was normal. Just wanted to make sure?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have that problem now, took it camping off road and the feeling intensified
Mine seems to have subsided after a week long trip to Moab with lots of hard off roading. Either that, or I've gotten more used to it. I drove it to work today and it feels great. Maybe some of this is just break-in?

Sponsored

Austin Beitia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Mine seems to have subsided after a week long trip to Moab with lots of hard off roading. Either that, or I've gotten more used to it. I drove it to work today and it feels great. Maybe some of this is just break-in?
I hope, cause I don’t want this to be a later problem. I brought back to Jeep and they’re suggesting a transmission replacement ‍♂

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hope, cause I don’t want this to be a later problem. I brought back to Jeep and they’re suggesting a transmission replacement ‍♂
Yours must be really obvious. The vibration I feel is very faint. I don't even think about it or notice it anymore. It isn't a grinding noise. I'd go with the dealer recommendation. It is an easy, straightforward swap.

Austin Beitia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Yours must be really obvious. The vibration I feel is very faint. I don't even think about it or notice it anymore. It isn't a grinding noise. I'd go with the dealer recommendation. It is an easy, straightforward swap.
I spoke to the service manager and he kept interrogating me trying to see if I’d admit to “driver’s harassment” cause I told them I went “off-roading” heading towards a camping trip. The off road was just simple dirt road with some bumps, nothing my friends Subaru couldn’t handle. He said FCA would have the final determination on the warranty coverage on an entire transmission swap. I just wish I brought it before then, I guess the new jeeps can’t handle simple dirt roads.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to the service manager and he kept interrogating me trying to see if I’d admit to “driver’s harassment” cause I told them I went “off-roading” heading towards a camping trip. The off road was just simple dirt road with some bumps, nothing my friends Subaru couldn’t handle. He said FCA would have the final determination on the warranty coverage on an entire transmission swap. I just wish I brought it before then, I guess the new jeeps can’t handle simple dirt roads.
They can. I just brutalized mine in Moab for 5 days straight and it took every bit of it. You need a new dealer. My dealer would never have an issue with that. They've got pics of my JK in Moab and they replaced the tranny on it under warranty at 116k miles, no questions asked. Don't blink when they try that crap. They can't get away with it, anyway. Jeep runs commercials of their vehicles off road. Btw, my Jk has a 2 inch lift and 33's, not even a Mopar lift, and they still covered it. FCA was fine with it, too. Not a peep of push back. Heck, I didn't even ask for a swap. They just recommended it and did it. Sounds like yours just has a defect. Let 'em swap it out and cure it. These things are built like tanks. My JK isn't nearly the Jeep the JL is and it is in great shape at 127k miles, with LOTS of off roading under its belt and lots yet to come.

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
Well, after having a 2 week breakdown with under 100 miles on my Jeep, have to say my Jeep, now with 400 miles, also has a grinding noise. Not every time, and most noticeable when shifting out of 3rd gear. I'll mention it to my dealer after the holidays to see what they say. My guess is that they never heard of this issue. At least it is easy to reproduce.

Sponsored

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I am writing because I am having another issue with my Jeep. The Rear End sometimes makes a clunking sound when engaging the clutch from a dead stop. It doesnt happen all the time. But it is very obvious when it does it. Can you give me feedback on any issues my model might be having?

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I’ve driven most types of vehicles with manual transmissions and none of them have done this, ergo my comment. $50k vehicles don’t get a pass
I did get mine fixed at the dealer. The pedal assembly was bad. Now it doesnt do it!!!! Weird how that works.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Hello, I am writing because I am having another issue with my Jeep. The Rear End sometimes makes a clunking sound when engaging the clutch from a dead stop. It doesnt happen all the time. But it is very obvious when it does it. Can you give me feedback on any issues my model might be having?
That's normal. I had that sound occasionally in the JK as well as on JL.

Firefly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler TJ
I did get mine fixed at the dealer. The pedal assembly was bad. Now it doesnt do it!!!! Weird how that works.
So, this must be needed for all the jeeps with this issue. My dealer looked at mine and brushed it off as that being theway the JL jeeps are made.

My TJ was much smoother.

Nyjet123

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So I’ve had the same feeling of resistance in the clutch, just as op describes, as well as the loud clunk when shifting out of 1st, i thought it was me kicking the peddle until i shifted it as delicately as possible and still got the clunk sound. Today was the weirdest experience, pulling out of the garage at school in 1st gear at like 10 mph ( just under 2k rpm) when everything starts shaking like i was going to stall out. Instinctively i kicked the clutch in and the sound it made was like something out of jarrasic park. The car has 1,300 miles on it and I’ve driven stick my whole life, driven every jeep gen from tj to jk, learned on a damn fire truck, this shouldn’t be happening and it’s not a “Jeep” thing, trust me i love all the Jeep sounds, this is not typical. Appointment pending but I’m trying to get this Jeep to the dealer ASAP.
Sponsored