MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else have any noises when going into park while in 4lo? Seems when I need to make a stop to check out the trail or views, it’ll grind or sound like a grind when going into park while still in 4 lo. I started just shutting it off and then putting it in park to avoid the noise.

Other than going into park it’ll do just fine in 4lo. I believe it’s all the way in 4lo so that can’t be it right? Or maybe it’ll work fine but not be completely in 4lo?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MadDog27

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Are you fully stopped when you shift into park? That can cause grinding if you're not.
I am. Completely stopped and ebrake usually engaged. It’s almost like it doesn’t like to go into park but it shouldn’t be that way right? It is odd. I just shut it off and then put it in park to avoid the hard shift/grind.

Sting

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR - Sting Grey
I am. Completely stopped and ebrake usually engaged. It’s almost like it doesn’t like to go into park but it shouldn’t be that way right? It is odd. I just shut it off and then put it in park to avoid the hard shift/grind.
Mine does the same thing. Only while in 4lo, it grids when going into park while fully stopped. I'm still hunting for answers to this issue too...

OP
OP
MadDog27

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does the same thing. Only while in 4lo, it grids when going into park while fully stopped. I'm still hunting for answers to this issue too...
Let me know what you find. Depending on the situation I’ll just put it in 4Hi before going into park.

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Mine used to do it, but no longer does it. When it used to do it I noticed that I shift into park relatively slowly through the D->N->R->P it would to do it more than if I simply slammed it from D to P as quickly as possible.

Also, it wasn't a grind per se, more of a quick succession of clicks and sharp clunks.

I have no idea why it stopped doing it around 6,000 miles.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I haven’t noticed this but my jeep often makes clunking noises whenever I go into 4H and accelerate and whenever I go back into 2H and accelerate. Sounds like some sort of slop in the front axle somewhere.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Mine used to do it, but no longer does it. When it used to do it I noticed that I shift into park relatively slowly through the D->N->R->P it would to do it more than if I simply slammed it from D to P as quickly as possible.

Also, it wasn't a grind per se, more of a quick succession of clicks and sharp clunks.

I have no idea why it stopped doing it around 6,000 miles.
Same. Sounds like clicks.

My solution is to pause in neutral before going to park.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Old thread but +1 here. Seemed to only do it while I was facing downhill, I think…. Did a recovery of my buddy stuck in the snow and he was downhill of me, it would grind every time I went into park, whether it was reverse to park or drive to park. It’s still under warranty…. ‘22 JLUR

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Same. Sounds like clicks.

My solution is to pause in neutral before going to park.
Here’s the solution folks. There’s a lot of torque on the driveline in 4L when you brake to a stop, because the normal torque at idle from the transmission is multiplied by the low range gears. Go to N first and let the tension release, then P.

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Anyone else have any noises when going into park while in 4lo? Seems when I need to make a stop to check out the trail or views, it’ll grind or sound like a grind when going into park while still in 4 lo. I started just shutting it off and then putting it in park to avoid the noise.

Other than going into park it’ll do just fine in 4lo. I believe it’s all the way in 4lo so that can’t be it right? Or maybe it’ll work fine but not be completely in 4lo?
It feels better when your not the only one. Mine does it as well. I will have to shift a little slower as suggested.
Sponsored