First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
Good post. That brand has been posted on here before. Decent design but the fact that there's no drop-down hinge or swing away hinge is limiting with a Jeep. Once you put it on, there's no getting in the back. Maybe it's due to the smaller cross section or just cost cutting measures. I would expect more for the price. I'm looking for a good solution for when my hardtop is off and that's probably going to be it. I would definitely have to burn off that website address though...

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Good post. That brand has been posted on here before. Decent design but the fact that there's no drop-down hinge or swing away hinge is limiting with a Jeep. Once you put it on, there's no getting in the back. Maybe it's due to the smaller cross section or just cost cutting measures. I would expect more for the price. I'm looking for a good solution for when my hardtop is off and that's probably going to be it. I would definitely have to burn off that website address though...
For this reason, I went with the Exposed Racks. Works with the soft top; if I carry anything up there, the weather will be good enough to go topless.

Edit:
Finally got it installed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Great way to carry your Kayak on a Jeep 86A2F4AB-4C1D-444D-9E0D-1E5C67C704AD

I also went with a bike rack that attaches to the spare. So I can always open the back gate.

*I also run the Diabolical Slipstream, so can’t easily access the back with the top down.

Jeep Wrangler JL Great way to carry your Kayak on a Jeep 8d6fa0b7-184b-41e3-98ed-e5f76cefb9c9-jpe

Last edited:
OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Thanks and I'm glad you found the video helpful.

I also wish they designed it with a drop-down hinge, but for me its not a big deal. I only do day trips, so once I arrive at my destination and remove the kayak, the rack is relatively light and can be removed in about 10 seconds if I need to access the back.

I agree 100% about the website. LOL. Very tacky and distasteful indeed. I hate it when companies do that.

When I bought my last Jeep, the dealer wanted to put their "dealer sticker" on the back. I told them they would have to pay me a monthly advertising fee if they wanted to do that nonsense and I'm not a mobile billboard for your dealership.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Several rack manufacturers including Yakima offer a swing-away adapter that mounts in your receiver then provides a receiver for your accessory. In the case of this kayak rack--which extends waaaay out the back, use of a swing-away would only accentuate the length.

BTW, I imagine that the wind resistance of the vertical kayak rack would create a serious speed restriction, i.e., no 80 mph on the way to the beach or launch ramp...

OP
OP
basinite

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
BTW, I imagine that the wind resistance of the vertical kayak rack would create a serious speed restriction, i.e., no 80 mph on the way to the beach or launch ramp...

I wouldn't trust it either while cruising down the interstate, perhaps for a few minutes, but that's about it. I guess if you bought extra straps and did a really good job securing it, you'd probably be fine.

When I did my test run on the hwy, I had some lady riding my a**. All I could think of was it was going to fly off and go thru her window. Of course nothing happened and the Kayak stayed put, but I was paranoid for a bit. Stupid people.
Sponsored