Sponsored

Great News! Jeep is Not the Worst Auto Maker in 2023!

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
CR can suck a egg

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
Being in company with Land Rover is not a prestigious accomplishment and is rather confusing 🤪

That said, the 3 years I owned my 2019 GC SRT, I never had a problem. Not sure what to expect with my Wrangler, but you'd think I'd made the biggest mistake of my life if I based my purchase on all the "media" types out there 🙃

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The biggest joke there is that Consumer Reports ranked BMW No. 1
I was going to say the same thing. Any time BMW ranks higher than middle of the pack you know some money has changed hands somewhere.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
I don't care what the rags say. If I could go back in time to March '21 and make my decision again...I wouldn't change a thing.

Sponsored

Ron Texas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon
The biggest joke there is that Consumer Reports ranked BMW No. 1
Within the CR mode of thinking this makes sense. I've owned several BMW's and it's like the old saying, even the king has to put his pants on one leg at a time. In January I had an X3 rental while my Rubicon was in the body shop from hell. The Beemer had all sorts of little electric motors to retract the mirrors and annoyingly tighten the seat belts. It had pleather upholstery. When it was floored there was a long downshift lag followed by a long turbo lag. It seemed like forever. It might have accelerated smartly after those lags, but I and most drivers want the pickup right away. My eTorque Rubicon had that immediate pickup even if the max acceleration of the BMW after too much time for contemplation was better.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
The problem is those office-dwellers are accustomed to rack and pinion steering, McPherson strut front suspension, independent rear suspension, insulated body panels, thick heavy doors, solid tops spot welded to the body panels and about 2" thick (with insulation in the headliner), light tires, and more.
I'd say our Jeeps are at least as comfortable as my F250 was, and not far behind the Silverado even though that thing could be driven through a hail storm and you'd think hey, it must be raining, do I hear something?
They are comparing apples and oranges when determining comfort, ride, handling and sound.

I recently read reviews on the Wrangler 4xe while waiting in a doctor's office. I was laughing most of the time because these clowns were telling of the horrible ride, the poor mpg, poor battery mileage and so on. One magazine said they couldn't get even close to 20 miles on the battery and mpg was under 20 on the engine alone. Really? My wife gets over 23 miles with a JLU RUBICON and I figure her driving around our area at over 29 mpg (of course 20+ of those miles is electric so don't get TOO excited). But really? Bad ride or handling? Hardly. Maybe compared to a Lexus - but do they build something with big heavy tires that can go where this can go? Can that Lexus climb over a bit of bird poop on the highway or clear road kill on the highway? I don't much worry about debris on the road these days as long as I can straddle it. I'd rip the bottom off most of those SUVs these people love to review.
These aren't luxury vehicles aimed at SCOTUS justices or CEOs of big insurance companies.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Being in company with Land Rover is not a prestigious accomplishment and is rather confusing 🤪

That said, the 3 years I owned my 2019 GC SRT, I never had a problem. Not sure what to expect with my Wrangler, but you'd think I'd made the biggest mistake of my life if I based my purchase on all the "media" types out there 🙃
We've owned a number of Grand Cherokees since they first came out - ZJ, 3 WJs, WK, you name it, more than one of each. Never any big problem. Batteries after 2.5 years (DUH) in one of them, spark plugs in another.
A recent review said Grand Cherokee trounced Land Rover (can't recall the model they compared) in snow. Beat it easily. And they are safe as heck.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
CR also includes Patriot, Compass and the very terrible Cherokee. Wrangler will not have 4runner reliability anytime soon. However, Wrangler is more fun to drive.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Fanboys,

Take CR out of the equation. Are you aware of other sources that you trust more that have Jeep ranked somewhere higher than the bottom of the pack? I’m seriously asking. I mean in terms of quality, reliability, etc. I think most would have them right at the top in ability to do Jeepy stuff. I love mine for that, and that’s why I bought it. Many owners don’t do Jeepy stuff and appreciate having build quality, comfort, and reliability. They made a mistake in choosing a Wrangler. Maybe that’s what information like this is trying to warn them about.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
We really really need to censor the words "Consumer Reports" as if they're swear words. I've never seen an appliance rating organization mentioned so many times on a car forum. Why does this continue?!
It's the same reason high end restaurants desire to get awards from a tire company.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
It's the same reason high end restaurants desire to get awards from a tire company.
Yeah but Michelin is considered the premier authority in culinary arts. CR rates dishwashers. You want the authority in automotive quality - check out JD power.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Consumer Reports released its 2023 auto buying guide a few weeks ago and, as is pretty much usual, Jeep was near the bottom--this year, one slot above Land Rover, which was at the bottom.

Jeep Wrangler JL Great News! Jeep is Not the Worst Auto Maker in 2023! 1678285362139

I'm posting this because every year when this comes out, my "gearhead" friends say "I guess you'd better think about trying to sell your Jeep." To which I reply, "Not a chance." Jeep (particularly Wrangler) buyers seek out these vehicles for reasons other than the cognitive ones (reliability, safety, etc.) that Consumer Reports uses for its rankings. And in most of these Jeeps perform horribly in...except owner satisfaction. Depending on how you measure it, Jeep owners may or not produce good satisfaction numbers. That's because we'll gripe and complain about Chrysler, FCA, Stellantis, or whoever owns them now, but we'll pretty much always buy them again. In 2007 I said publicly I was done with Jeeps because they put electric locks and windows in them. In 2014 I said I was done with Jeeps because they made them with four doors. In 2016 I said I'd never drive a Jeep again because they have seat warmers. Today I drive a four-door Jeep with electric locks and windows. See what I mean?

People who want to drive Jeeps want a Jeep no matter what the cognitive side of the brain says. That's why they always perform so well in resale value (something CR did not factor in their rankings). They're ugly babies, but they're our ugly babies.

Over the years I have had a lot of cars, from a Special Order MB SL V 12 Engine Delete, Lexus SC 400, Caddy Escalades, Hummers, but I have almost always had a Jeep. I have ZERO complaints about my Jeeps, they are reliable...My MB SL fried a rear wheel bearing, 2 weeks after I bought it, and the battery died in the first 6 mo.

Jeeps ride comfortably or they do to me...its just that others have not spent as much time in a Saddle as I have. Growing up on a horse ranch will make you appreciate any ride that has rubber wheels and springs under it.

Granted, the last REAL Jeep, was the TJ, its was basic, no electric this, and seat warming that and what Jeep has become in all DeLuxe DoDah you can now get.

My JLR rides better than any Jeep or most of the cars I have ever owned. Yes, it wanders a bit but that is OEM and has been as long as I have been driving Jeeps.

Since 1941 every part on a Jeep is still available to buy, try that in your Belch-Fire C-dan.

Not only all the above, but you are driving an ICON and as far as I know its the only bonafide ICON in the Automtovive world. So on the CR list of buggies, there is ONE and ONE ONLY ICON!

Coke
Kleenex
XerorX
Popsicle
Thermos
Chapstick
Kerosene

And of course Jeep:

Introduced in: 1940

Company: American Bantam Car Company

What it's supposed to be called: Sport utility vehicle

Though Chrysler was not the creator of the Jeep, they have gone to great advertising lengths to ensure no other sport utility vehicle is masquerading as a 4x4.

In one of its rugged, off-road advertisements, Chrysler says that it's a good thing Jeep is trademarked, because there's "no telling what kind of jacked-up station wagons [competitors would] be trying to pass off as Jeep vehicles otherwise."

Just to nake a few
Sponsored